How many quotes do you normally have in an essay? (1 Viewer)

lilcutetricker

HSC
Uni Grad
I have an english assessment and my friend said that she usually includes another quote to support her idea in each paragraph so thats ~6-8 quotes an essay. I think its too much because by the time i can remember all my quotes and write them down, itll take me forever to actually get to my point and identify the techniques used and what not. So i think a quote for each paragraph is more appropriate.
Opinions?

CM07

HSC
I just flipped through and I have 5-9 quotes per essay and 19 quotes for Hamlet lol.

Soulful

HSC Hipster
HSC
Around 1000 or so for my last essay (which we had to write in class in 40 minutes) and 1300ish for another essay (which we just had to hand in)

For both, it was around 4-7 quotes a paragraph

One quote a paragraph is way too little. How are you going to support your analysis if you only have a single line of textual evidence?

Last edited:

lilcutetricker

HSC
Uni Grad
Around 1000 or so for my last essay (which we had to write in class in 40 minutes) and 1300ish for another essay (which we just had to hand in)

For both, it was around 4-7 quotes a paragraph

One quote a paragraph is way too little. How are you going to support your analysis if you only have a single line of textual evidence?
This is only a relating text extended response where youre only given 1 and a half sheets to write with only <25 minutes. I doubt ill be able to fit that many quotes in a limited space.

pigas

HSC
Usually as many as I have to use (and that's between 5 - 10). You need a quote to support everything, and be sure to explain it as well. Try and pick shorter quotes to remember them easier. If you have too many, just pick the more important ones.

madharris

HSC
N/A
I would have 9 - 12 per essay
However I would remember about 25

Focus is Key

HSC
That can drastically changed based on the text type. I find for poetry (Module A) I tend to have the most, Hamlet probably comes next and then the novels I'm doing.

Studytime1

HSC
For a C grade response you usually use 2-3 quotes per paragraph, and for an A-B grade response between 3-5 quotes. Usually you write 5 paragraphs, including intro and conclusion, but don't just use random quotes that sound good, quotes are used as evidence to support your specific thesis statement. Also short, to the point quotes are usually more effective than long sentences (and you can remember them easily).
P.S. I am getting an A in advanced and Extension 1 English
Hope this helps :)

Elisa Sweet

HSC
I generally don't remember many quotes. Depends on what it is on, I usually just explain and use an example without quoting it directly. If you can remeber quotes and add them in when relevant, all the better :)

HSC
N/A
Really depends what your essay is about, but for one and a half pages, I normally do 5 - 7ish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)