how many quotes should i have for my eng essay… (1 Viewer)

mvrcuriee

#1 SK
HSC
for my academically gifted in English people, how many do u guys use? (in context for hsc essays for common mod, mod A & B)

I think for my recent mod A, i used like 4 for each text, when comparing hagseed and tempest

aqwerty13402

HSC
i feel like there isn't a set number, but that seems ok. wouldn't do any less tho. but also i fucking hate english and being in that classroom makes me want to swallow those little circular batteries, so im not an expert.

elliott07

HSC
for my academically gifted in English people, how many do u guys use? (in context for hsc essays for common mod, mod A & B)

I think for my recent mod A, i used like 4 for each text, when comparing hagseed and tempest
from my English teacher she says that blocked quotes are fine however high band responses use sort of like short chunked quotes throughout the body paragraph if that makes sense? and obviously with that for mod a your linking back to context, literary techniques (and film techniques if your doing a film) and addressing the question throughout. I think that having short extracts from your texts throughout just gives the paragraph more heft and shows you have a good overall understanding of the text.

Last edited:

elliott07

HSC
Screen Shot 2024-05-09 at 7.39.29 pm.png

I can't find my English Adv mod A paper but this is an example from an English extension 1 task that I did it got a 10/10 and I used the small chunked quotes method here. keep in mind that this is an extension 1 task on Seamus Heany's poetry not advanced however, Id say with advanced you should do something similar to this with your quotes. In a Mod A context I would be doing this and linking back to context and especially values throughout the essay.

mvrcuriee

#1 SK
HSC
from my English teacher she says that blocked quotes are fine rather they use sort of like short chunked quotes throughout the body paragraph if that makes sense? and obviously with that for mod a your linking back to context, literary techniques (and film techniques if your doing a film) and addressing the question throughout. I think that having short extracts from your texts throughout just gives the paragraph more heft and shows you have a good overall understanding of the text.
Thank you! This is really helpful :,)

synthesisFR

しゃけ
HSC

theres no set number probably 10-12 is safe for most people
some schools demand more or less eg ruse wants more quotes so u kinda sacrifice on a bit of analysis to save words whilst other schools want less quotes. 3 or 4 per body para works depending on how u prefer to write and how ur school wants you to write. hsc markers have to be very accommodative so as long as u can do it well, do it however u want. ive seen full mark essays with only 6 techniques used just bc of how good the analysis was.
also us hould integrate quotes so as to improve ur analysis without those quotes being the techniques themselves

elliott07

HSC
theres no set number probably 10-12 is safe for most people
some schools demand more or less eg ruse wants more quotes so u kinda sacrifice on a bit of analysis to save words whilst other schools want less quotes. 3 or 4 per body para works depending on how u prefer to write and how ur school wants you to write. hsc markers have to be very accommodative so as long as u can do it well, do it however u want. ive seen full mark essays with only 6 techniques used just bc of how good the analysis was.
also us hould integrate quotes so as to improve ur analysis without those quotes being the techniques themselves
thats what I hate about English... its so subjective and different markers mark differently its like ugh..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)