how many subjects in 1st year?? (1 Viewer)

nessyfreak

HSC
Can someone please tell me how many subjects you do in your first year of an arts degree. I have asked this before and the only answer i get is 'it depends...' But i want someone to explain it to me!!!!! or at least tell me what most people do...

bustinjustin

HSC
It depends, it really does.......

...because part-timers do 2 subjects per semester, full-timers do 3-4. Most people are full-timers and they need to do a minimum of 3 per semester, 4 is the maximum (you can overload and do 5 if you've failed a subject or are changing majors) but most people do 4 in order to finish in shortest time possible (3 years).

And there are 2 semesters a year.....

HSC
N/A
In most circumstances; If you're doing a straight arts degree than its usually 4 per semester. If you're doing a combined degree it's usually two (but some do one, three, four or none)....yeah, it depends. Can you be more specific?

nessyfreak

HSC
thanks. i dont know enough info to be specific yet!! But your answers helped, more than a guy at last year's open day...

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
An Arts degree at University require 144 Credit Points to complete the degree.

Almost all Units of Study in the Arts Faculty are 6 credit points.

So, as your degree is 3 years:

144 / 3 = 48

Each year has 2 semesters:

48 / 2 = 24

Each unit of study is 6 credit points:

24 / 6 = 4

Thus, each semester you'll do 4 units of study to complete a standard Arts degree.

nessyfreak

HSC
THANK YOU!! ahhhhhh thats so clear and easy to understand!!!

One more question... Do the four subjects that you do in your 1st semester of the 1st year get carried on to the second semester and so on? How many do you continue? Or can you just keep doing new subjects each semester (which sounds wrong...)

vegemite

HSC
You start new subjects every semester. For some like Sociology 1001 and 1002 it probably helps to have done 1001 in first semester but its not a requirement.

niteshade1312

HSC
Again it will depend on what subjects you want to major in. At the moment, I still don't know what I'm going to be majoring in but last semester I did Ancient HIst, Art Hist, Italian and Philosophy and thi semester I dropped teh Philosophy and picked up Performance Studies

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)