How many techniques will you use for AOS? (1 Viewer)

Lordsion

HSC
copperearth27 said:
I think mabye you are talking about different things.
You should ahve 3 main points that you would like to raise about each text, some of these may link the texts together. Then you should have at least one textual example for each technique.
eg Cosi raises the idea that ideas can often be changed by exposure to different circumstances as is represented by the play within a play technique. This is futher shown by the breaching of the 4th wall or lewis' speech at the end where he shows how much he has grown in his ideas and beliefs.

Mabye when you say that you have ten, that is points that you want to riase, not ideas. Often two techniques can be used to shown one idea or concept that you are trying to convey. If you are planning on using ten for each text you have way too many and you will not sufficiently develop your argument, you do not gain marks for simply listing a whole bunch of things that you know about a text, you get makes for introducing a concept that is backed up by textual evidence and developing it by examining it in relation to the topic and the other texts you have chosen.

I have one page that has all of my texts on it and about 5 points that have techniques with them, that way when I see the question I can choose which ones will best convey my ideas.

You may have ten techniques that you have learnt, which is excellent, but you will only need to use two or three for each text in your answer as otherwise you will shown that you do not have an understanding of what is expected. Read the Rubric for each question and you will understand.
THANK YOU! exactly. geez lol

I actually have 2 main points per technique. I have 6 techniques - (ALL UP between 3 texts)

black_kat_meow

hihiwhywhy
HSC
copperearth27 said:
I think mabye you are talking about different things.
You should ahve 3 main points that you would like to raise about each text, some of these may link the texts together. Then you should have at least one textual example for each technique.
eg Cosi raises the idea that ideas can often be changed by exposure to different circumstances as is represented by the play within a play technique. This is futher shown by the breaching of the 4th wall or lewis' speech at the end where he shows how much he has grown in his ideas and beliefs.

Mabye when you say that you have ten, that is points that you want to riase, not ideas. Often two techniques can be used to shown one idea or concept that you are trying to convey. If you are planning on using ten for each text you have way too many and you will not sufficiently develop your argument, you do not gain marks for simply listing a whole bunch of things that you know about a text, you get makes for introducing a concept that is backed up by textual evidence and developing it by examining it in relation to the topic and the other texts you have chosen.

I have one page that has all of my texts on it and about 5 points that have techniques with them, that way when I see the question I can choose which ones will best convey my ideas.

You may have ten techniques that you have learnt, which is excellent, but you will only need to use two or three for each text in your answer as otherwise you will shown that you do not have an understanding of what is expected. Read the Rubric for each question and you will understand.
Yes, I understand the rubric, but I do my essays completely differently, and always go very well. I think it's a personal thing.

Shadose

Enjoy Life
HSC
I do about 2-3 for each text, but I changed it to be 4-5 for the prescribed texts, as it is a bit worrying.

How long is the essay for each of you?

m00

HSC
6 pages? i dunno how you people pull off that many pages in 40 minutes
do you write like 4 words on each line or somthing?
im stuck with 2-4 page essays and i fit around 11 words per line

Shadose

Enjoy Life
HSC
Are you refering to the normal pages of A4 book or the exam booklets? In the A4 books, I usually write about 5 pages, sometimes going on the 6th page with 7-9 words per line.

u-borat

Banned
HSC
mines are typically an exam booklet plus another page or two, ~1100-1200 words.

lots and lots of techniques/quotes- they expect you to backup with evidence whatever arguments you put forward.

old.skool.kid

HSC
Yeah i think it depends on how you structure your essays. I base my argument around the techniques, so i only use bout 2-3 techniques for each. You cant just throw in random techniques to get extra marks without explaining how they convey journeys.

dance2urownbeat

Ridiculously Good Looking
HSC
used two booklets per essay in english in trials. haha so 7-8 pages per essay but when im rushing my writing gets huge and messy, not illegible though, so thats why i use so many pages.
i just have ideas which link my texts, which are backed up with techniques..i have about 4 or 5 ideas i think.

danjames

HSC
just a question, my teacher says if they ask for one related material do two or you cant get full marks. anyone else hear something similar?

lstyr12

HSC
danjames said:
just a question, my teacher says if they ask for one related material do two or you cant get full marks. anyone else hear something similar?
i was told to get 2 related texts for the areas which only ask for 1 and 3 for the areas that ask for 2.. This way, when you get in there and the question relates to only 1 of the 2 related texts you chose, then you can ditch one. same goes with 2 prescribed texts. Well thats what i was told.

mind you my english teacher made it pretty clear that was what she thought was best!

Oh and if the question doesnt related to your related texts... then yeah it'll be hard to tie it to your text and you might not get as good of a mark...

Last edited:
N

Nicola1616

just my view mind - I think 1 is too few and 20 is too many and any where in between totally depends of the type of technique you are describing. If you are supporting a point with dialogue only you could probably do 6 per text easy - more, but if you are describing a sequence in a film with changes in camera angles, setting, acting, dialogue, sound and lighting it can be quite complex. I think the best way to go is a good few really well drawn techinques and a smattering of quotes where appropriate.

shakky15

HSC
ok i think you people are scaring me just a little bit

2-3 techniques for a whole text?? you mean things like 'symbolism' and 'panoramic camera shot' that sort of thing? You should have at the very MUNIMUM 5 PER text! i dont know how you can write (for AOS) 3-4 pages on your prescribed text, with like 3 techniques (thats less than one technique on a page!!) I think there should be more like 2-3 techniques on each page.. and im not trying to scare you guys... i just read through my 14/15 'the tempest' imaginative journey essay and i had 8 techniques on just the prescribed text.

i dont know how you get 13+ /15 the way you're going... in one assessment i had like 2 techniques in the whole lot (big mistake) and got 9/15... i know that wasnt in an exam but seriously they NEED to see techniques

WHY?

because techniques are essentially PROOF for the marker.. its like backing up your argument... that guy before who said he puts a technique and then related discussion to that technique.. WTF

you make an argument. THEN you use techniques (thats a plural) to support this argument... and with regards to quotes, use quotes that have techniques in them (if you cant see one, see if theres modality or imperative or tone..) so that you dont just use dialogue to back up your arguments because this sort of textual evidence isnt strong or sophisticated

geez no wonder english internal marks are moderated like hell at my school.. i mean no offence but i think you people sort of have the wrong idea

if in any doubt, borrow or buy those board of studies past hsc student answers books... they actually have answers that students wrote that scored high range and mid range marks. count the number of techniques in the high range responses. Then count the number found in the mid range ones.

sherylbobbins

HSC
I've got at least 10 for my prescribed text and 4-5 for each related text to support what I'm saying...

Azreil

HSC
I don't know exactly how many "techniques" I'd say I have, seeing as I don't devote paragraphs to techniques. I write an integrated response, based around central themes, which techniques relate to. I probably have... 13 techniques between my texts that I go into more detail than "composer uses x technique..." than, but I generally write for more than 40 minutes. I also have 'throwaway' mentions of techniques which assist a more important technique in their purpose.

calcie

HSC
2 is too little, but 5 is a good ammount. you take say 2 from the start of the text, analyse, get 1 from the middle, show the changes, 2 from the end, show changes link back and ur set. in 2 you cant really show what you are trying to say in the whole text.;)

mchampshire

HSC
If you (the original poster) are talking about techniques, in the sense that symbolism is a technique then two is certainly not enough. It sounds as though there might be some confusion between points and techniques.

I typically have 3 - 6 quotes of varying length per main point (eg. the importance of other people on your inner journey) per text. For each quote I will have at least one technique, typically two however, if it is a longer one.

I used to do three main points however I find I run out of time now, so I only write about two main points. Looking at 20/20 speech I wrote, I used about 18 techniques, and about 14 quotes.

Essentially all I do is make a statement that answers the question, and provide a quote and a technique that supports that statement. I do this maybe two or three times per paragraph and finish with a concluding sentence and segue into the next paragraph.

If we are talking about the same techniques, then I am astonished that you could do nearly so well with even two - five techniques.

shakky15

HSC
mchampshire said:
If you (the original poster) are talking about techniques, in the sense that symbolism is a technique then two is certainly not enough. It sounds as though there might be some confusion between points and techniques.

I typically have 3 - 6 quotes of varying length per main point (eg. the importance of other people on your inner journey) per text. For each quote I will have at least one technique, typically two however, if it is a longer one.

I used to do three main points however I find I run out of time now, so I only write about two main points. Looking at 20/20 speech I wrote, I used about 18 techniques, and about 14 quotes.

Essentially all I do is make a statement that answers the question, and provide a quote and a technique that supports that statement. I do this maybe two or three times per paragraph and finish with a concluding sentence and segue into the next paragraph.

If we are talking about the same techniques, then I am astonished that you could do nearly so well with even two - five techniques.
+1

this is what i was trying to say lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)