How many texts? - Paper One (1 Viewer)

noturningback

HSC
Hey I just have a very brief question
How many texts do I need to have an understanding of in preparation for Paper One?

I have 3 Peter Skryznecki poems summed up with themes, techniques etc.
- Post Card
- 10 Mary Street
- Feliks Skryznecki

1 Supplementary
- The rabbits

And a story draft in progress

So is there anything I'm missing? I'm thinking I need another supplementary but I'm not completely sure. Help would be much appreciated, thanks :)

M3riJaan

Another Member
HSC
Yeah everyone in our school is doing at least 2 related texts, as for skrzynecky, in your essay, you should use your two skrzy poems +2 related, to show you are aware of various perspectives on belonging, and THEN try to work in a third poem (If theres time...)

Good Luck!

noturningback

HSC
Thanks for your helpful answer :)

Would Dreams beyond the quarter acre be okay for a second supplementary?
I did Catcher in the rye back in term 4 08 but it's been a while.

tk01

HSC
your best to do 1 related text per poem and make them relate to a thesis.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Would Dreams beyond the quarter acre be okay for a second supplementary
Crap text because it came with that book about Belonging as a paper one. Shows lack of imagination and creativity, and it imprints a 'couldn't-be-fucked' sign across your paper.

noturningback

HSC
Crap text because it came with that book about Belonging as a paper one. Shows lack of imagination and creativity, and it imprints a 'couldn't-be-fucked' sign across your paper.
straight to the point, I like it. As opposed to English which is full of bullshitting and scraping to find meaning that doesn't exist. It's also fucked that english has to count towards your UAI :burn: I spent 45 hours (no exaggeration) on my last assessment task to receive 11/20, whereas other students that threw something together the night before got 17>
I'm going way off subject though /end rant

Okay, I'll forget about quarter acre. I know alot of people are also doing it, but any thoughts on doing catcher in the rye? or maybe a poem?

missgraceful

What a joke..
HSC
I'm doing the Catcher in the Rye and its really good. There are heaps of Belonging issues in there, pretty much everything Holden says isolates him, and it has a detrimental effect on him in the end.. Ie: Not belonging led to his insanity...

noturningback

HSC
I'm doing the Catcher in the Rye and its really good. There are heaps of Belonging issues in there, pretty much everything Holden says isolates him, and it has a detrimental effect on him in the end.. Ie: Not belonging led to his insanity...
Thanks for the advice. I got rid of all my quarter acre notes and have started some general catcher in the rye notes.

I'm just going over techniques however I'm having trouble coming up with many that relate to belonging, if anyone could give me some pointers I'd greatly appreciate it. Here is one that I've came up with so far (Feel free to take it however it's largely paraphrased from a website)

Jargon
The use of jargon such as the phrase “phony”, in addition to his fumbling and occasionally unsure speech emphasises his naivety; Salinger presents us with a naïve young boy caught in a busy city, searching for belonging in all the wrong places. The use of jargon such as obscene language contributes to this characterisation and also displays his personal insecurity. The composer uses Jargon to show the naivety and displacement of the protagonist, reinforcing thematic concerns and characterisation. The impact of this is that the reader has a deeper understanding of the protagonist and the angst he is experiencing.

noturningback

HSC
Don't want to make a new thread and I can't see this one being revived without being bumped. I have a quick question

Would one consider catcher in the rye to have Deconstructionism because we the reader must make some assumptions due to Holden's naive and clouded vision of the world and retelling of events?

Deconstructionism
An approach to literature which suggests that literary works do not yield fixed, single meanings, because language can never say exactly what we intend it to mean. Deconstructionism seeks to destabilize meaning by examining the gaps and ambiguities of the language of a text. Deconstructionists pay close attention to language in order to discover and describe how a variety of possible readings are generated by the elements of a text.

noturningback

HSC
Yeah I reckon that would be a great technique to write about. Don't worry about the 11/20, there is a lot of teacher bias going on there, and none of this really matters anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)