• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

How many words in one minute? (1 Viewer)

Shoubadoo

HSC
mad80boy said:
Hey
How many words are you able to write in a minute?
Our teacher timed us for one minute to see how much we could write and I did about 45 words some people got like 60 words that insane.
Well it depends. Did your teacher just give you a random question to answer, or something related to a topic being studied in class?
I know for me, certain questions would mean more words in my answer.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
I think I can manage about a page every 6-7 minutes, if I'm serious about it.

beentherdunthat

HSC
Aerath said:
And there's one guy who says he wrote 11, but I think he's bluffing. :\
Hahaha. I used to do that LOL. But i was pretty good at eng., so it's not like i was talking crap.

Best thing to do is make sure you have enough to discuss the question, and get it over with. There was a guy who was sitting next to me in the HSC, and he opened the last essay to start it 5 mins before it was time to finish.... kinda stressfull.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Well - maybe it's just me wanting to believe that my 'record' is unbeatable. I did 11 pages in an hour back in Year 9 for Sally Morgan's My Place.

Got full marks in that assessment. :)

HSC
foram said:
but if you end up writing more than other people, the examiner is going to have a better impression even before they start marking it, which will proberbly get you a better mark (hopefully).
I agree with mad80boy but not foram
its the quality of the work not neccessarily how much you cram into 40 min

HSC
emytaylor164 said:
Not true.
teachers esspecially english teachers expect one page every 10 minutes. In HSC english you can not write essay and answer the question in 2 or 3 pages successfully our school expects 4 pages minimum for english and for other subjects you should be writing a page every ten minutes for extended responses
I agree for english, I believe they expect you to write a lot, and this generally thought to be of higher quality than something that is shorter.
(Although not always true)
It really depends on your subject, we got a half yearly back for business studies yesterday and the teacher was telling us not to write like an essay in terms of length and structure, but to write short, succinct bullet points.

ticky2002

HSC
N/A
I'm so slow at writing.

However my p.b. for typing is 104/98.

Dimplez

HSC
Not sure how many words per minute...but I did write a 10 page eco essay in an hour where I got full marks. I think quality>quantity but you do need a certain amount of quantity to explore your topic area deeply enough.

bored of sc

HSC
Dimplez said:
Not sure how many words per minute...but I did write a 10 page eco essay in an hour where I got full marks. I think quality>quantity but you do need a certain amount of quantity to explore your topic area deeply enough.
yer, there is a fine line between berevity and quality

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
wow, my typing speed is only about 60 wpm, and thats cause i type "my name is methos" in empire earth way toooo many times to count. Thats how i learnt to touch type. lol. cheating in games.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)