how many writing books/folders are you gonna get? (1 Viewer)

orly?

HSC
for the first day of uni?

yea kind of a weird question, but how many? @__@
im wondering if 3 or 4 books and folders is enough or too little. hmm.

:santa:

KarmaKitten

HSC
I usually get a 4-5 Subject notebook cause I hate carrying around too many notebooks. Everyone is different.

I've seen some people use one large notepad for ALL their subjects. Others get by with scrap paper.

Loz_metalhead

HSC
Take about 4 bits of folder paper... and lecture notes. I usually just write on the lecture notes. Then you can keep all you folders at home instead of lugging them around and just place your notes in there when you get home.

dp624

HSC
yeah, loose leaf in a folder for me i think
laptop = lol

Miss Winey

HSC
I'm a big fan of efficiency.
I already have to commute 1.3 hours/day/each way to get to uni, so i want my load to be as light as possible.

if i'm doing a humanitities subject - say anything from the arts faculty, law, education
then i just loose sheets. write my notes. file when i get home.

Total carry = 5 loose leaf sheets + pen

If i'm doing a technical subject - anything from engineering, science, maths etc
Then every single lecture/tutorial, i need to be referring back and forth from stuff learnt in previous lectures.
So i just take a THIN excercise book for those subjects. and get a new one for each new topic. (usually after 3-4 weeks)

total carry load = THIN excercise book + pen/pencil + highlighter (for notes) + textbook.

but everyone is different. so decide what works for you by trial and error.

jaimebien

HSC
Miss Winey said:
if i'm doing a humanitities subject - say anything from the arts faculty, law, education
then i just loose sheets. write my notes. file when i get home.
In high school, I used to carry around a big binder folder that had all the notes I needed for subjects that day. We didn't really bring text books to school as we had our own copy at home and when we needed to use it at school, the teachers would either inform us before hand or they'll just hand out copies for class use.

Since I'll be doing humanites next year, do you know if the bulk of notes we get are either handed out form lecturers or actually those that we take down ourselves? Also, what about textbooks? Generally, how many textbooks do you bring per day? Hopefully I'll get into Media and Communications at USYD, where I also plan to major in English.

spence

HSC
jaimebien said:
In high school, I used to carry around a big binder folder that had all the notes I needed for subjects that day. We didn't really bring text books to school as we had our own copy at home and when we needed to use it at school, the teachers would either inform us before hand or they'll just hand out copies for class use.

Since I'll be doing humanites next year, do you know if the bulk of notes we get are either handed out form lecturers or actually those that we take down ourselves? Also, what about textbooks? Generally, how many textbooks do you bring per day? Hopefully I'll get into Media and Communications at USYD, where I also plan to major in English.
Not sure about MECO units, but in my experience you basically never need textbooks in class for arts subjects. Only one of my subjects last semester had a textbook, and it was only recommended reading for like 2 lectures. And they rarely give out notes, its pretty much just what you take down yourself. Some classes provide lecture notes though

hollyy.

stop looking at me swan.
HSC
KarmaKitten said:
I usually get a 4-5 Subject notebook cause I hate carrying around too many notebooks. Everyone is different.

I've seen some people use one large notepad for ALL their subjects. Others get by with scrap paper.
i bought a colourhide one the other day, that good?

kristydolphins

live.love.race
HSC
hollyy. said:
i bought a colourhide one the other day, that good?
so when u get home, how should u organise all ur stuff? eg a folder or binder for each subject? oh, and when ppl refer to subjects, do u mean eg BIOL1001, or the entire Biology subject?

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
Gonna take one lecture pad.
That or one colourhide book.. Do they come in 4 sections or 5?

hollyy.

stop looking at me swan.
HSC
kristydolphins said:
so when u get home, how should u organise all ur stuff? eg a folder or binder for each subject? oh, and when ppl refer to subjects, do u mean eg BIOL1001, or the entire Biology subject?
my sister said take the one book to uni. (have one where u can tear out the pages) them have a folder per subject (i dunno ill get say 5 them figure it out after a couple of weeks) that stays at home and just rip out and put in appropriate folder. and also take something to put loose leafs in. i got a few of those folder things that stay together with elastic chord round the corners (bit hard to explain.

KarmaKitten

HSC
Colourhides are good. once you start uni, you wil learn what suits you best anyways.

Most important thing is that you organise your notes/articles etc well. So then when you need it, you're not tearing your room upside down to find it, like i do.

GreenLeaf

consultant
HSC
N/A
two bits of A4 paper, and one pen = lightweight. If i need a textbook, i'll peer over the shoulder of the person next to me ;)

X

xeuyrawp

I usually decide after the first class. I generally just take a plain notepad + textbooks, and then see what kind of notes I'll have to take.

DownInFlames

Token Member
where I spend the vast majority of my time
HSC
orly? said:
for the first day of uni?

yea kind of a weird question, but how many? @__@
im wondering if 3 or 4 books and folders is enough or too little. hmm.

:santa:
Probably just a single lecture pad for the first day. Taking several folders to uni will probably get a bit annoying, it's loads easier just to rip the pages out and file them when you get home. It IS a good idea to have a folder for each subject,but leave them at home. I end up sorting through all my notes at the end of each semester and putting them in folders, but it's probably better to do it throughout the semester... in theory.

They put the leture slides up on blackboard for all my subjects, so I usually just print the slides out 6 to a page before class, and write notes in the margins, or on scrap paper if I need more space.

HSC
If you have access to free printing (ie. parentals pay for it) and your subject coordinator is kind enough to post lecture slides up online before the lectures, printing them 4 or 6 to a page is a good idea - then you have everything they have written down already, so you can actually concentrate on what they are saying in the lecture and write the important bits of that down in the margins.

Otherwise, I use small (A6) exercise books, one for each subject. They are half the size (approx) of A4 books, and lighter, making them much more convenient to fit in a bag - Ie. if I only need one for a day, I can take a handbag rather than needing something bigger if I had an A4 book.

I would suggest just taking some paper for the first week until you work out how the lectures work/how the tutorials are run. For example, I bought a small exercise book for economics last year before realising that I could (and should) print the lecture notes, because the lecturer actually used a program in which he could write onto a touch screen computer on the desk and have it come up on the slides as he was writing, allowing him to make slides with gaps/tables which weren't filled in before the lecture, and then write in the info during the lecture as he taught it. It was a great way to learn, but meant my exercise book was useless.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)