• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

How much are regular uni fees opposed to full-fees? (1 Viewer)

lpodnano

5eva alone
HSC
I just found any sub forum to put this in. Anyway, how much are uni fees? And how much do full fee paying students have to pay? Just out of morbid curiosity

Last edited:

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
Unless you're going to a private Uni (like Notre Dame) Domestic full fee paying places have been abolished. Iirc.

EDIT: This would only apply to people commencing university from 2008 onwards.

Last edited:

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
$20000 a year for me ($10000 a semester).

My dad's organisation pays my uni fees hence why I'll be out of uni without any student debt whatsoever.:music:

_santa

HSC
International students pay full fees. For an engineering degree it would be about $26000 (this year, next year it will probably go up)

soopacow

Igloo?
HSC
International students pay full fees. For an engineering degree it would be about $26000 (this year, next year it will probably go up)
International students pay a bit more than domestic full fee students.

_santa

HSC
International students pay a bit more than domestic full fee students.
and do not have any sort of concession (I know it's supposed to be that way, since the concession is provided by the government (with your tax money, I know), but I still feel kinda sad)

TehAzner

HSC
N/A
and do not have any sort of concession (I know it's supposed to be that way, since the concession is provided by the government (with your tax money, I know), but I still feel kinda sad)
Yeah I also think that International students should get transport concessions at least. They already pay so much with uni fees and living expenses, it would make life much more easier for them.

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
Yeah.
Tbh, it would only cost the NSW govt around $8-11m per year on transport concessions for International Tertiary students - nothing, compared with those supplied to Domestic Tertiary students.
It was a NSW Labor Government who objected to the concessions, though.

soopacow

Igloo?
HSC
Yeah.
Tbh, it would only cost the NSW govt around $8-11m per year on transport concessions for International Tertiary students - nothing, compared with those supplied to Domestic Tertiary students.
It was a NSW Labor Government who objected to the concessions, though.
This is one of the reasons why so many people wants Australian permanent residency.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Yeah I also think that International students should get transport concessions at least. They already pay so much with uni fees and living expenses, it would make life much more easier for them.
I know like 20ish internationals and all of them back in their country are filthy rich.

Like, millionaires rich. These people can afford it.

But I don't know if my experience is consistent for the majority of the international students.

TehAzner

HSC
N/A
I know like 20ish internationals and all of them back in their country are filthy rich.

But I don't know if my experience is consistent for the majority of the international students.
There will always be rich and poor international students no matter which university you look at, I met quite a few rich internationals at USYD last year (mainly from China), but the majority that I met were from middle-income families where most of the income from the household went into paying the university fees. It wasn't fun for a lot of Hong Kong students when the exchange rate was AUD $1 = HKD $7.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
There will always be rich and poor international students no matter which university you look at, I met quite a few rich internationals at USYD last year (mainly from China), but the majority that I met were from middle-income families where most of the income from the household went into paying the university fees. It wasn't fun for a lot of Hong Kong students when the exchange rate was AUD $1 = HKD $7.
orly.

probably chance that all i know are rich kids lol

_santa

HSC

I don't really know how to respond. If that's how you think it is, then fine I guess, I wasn't expecting anything else anyway..

Back to the topic, I talked to my friend who has permanent residency but no citizenship, and she pays $17000, so if it's important for you, be sure to check which category you're in.

Last edited:

TehAzner

HSC
N/A
I don't really know how to respond. If that's how you think it is, then fine I guess, I wasn't expecting anything else anyway..

Back to the topic, I talked to my friend who has permanent residency but no citizenship, and she pays $17000, so if it's important for you, be sure to check which category you're in.
I think UNSW students are better off. Those who go to Macquarie and are enrolled in the SIBT program have to fork out up to $20k+ for just one semester. And they aren't guaranteed transfers to actual courses upon completion either. I reckon there should be a general overhaul of entry programs for international students; i.e. ALL universities should have a generic 1 year Foundations course of a similar price range instead of an individual university coming up with their own scheme to generate revenue instead of helping out eager international students.

That's why I <3 UNSW. Fair go for all! :)

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC

I'm not saying that's how it is, just from my experience.

As tehazner pointed out, there ARE struggling international students, so thats fair enough.

cottoneye

HSC
N/A
Domestic students pay varying amounts depending on their course. The cost is fully deferred until you begin working when the government begins garnishing your wages to the tune of around 4% until the outstanding debt is paid off. It is scaled to inflation so provided you are working a professional job the debt is likely to decrease as a proportion of your income even if you make no additional efforts to pay the money back.

Do not be confused with the price of the full-course and the student contribution amount which is what you need to pay back to the government. Your school's careers officer should be able to give you some specifics.

Student contribution amounts are scaled based on projected future earnings and national need. Teachers and nurses for example receive subsidies on the cost of their education because it is considered a national priority. Law and medicine attract high costs because of expected future earnings higher than those of an arts graduate for instance.

If something at uni genuinely interests you and you think that you would like to do that as a career, I would pursue it. Don't go to uni because you have nothing else to do, all your friends are going or because you feel you should.

wordsmith

HSC
What a nice coincidence, I was just figuring this out the other day (a good mate of mine is an international). For those of you who want a specific example, this is what I figured out using the info in the Fees section on myunsw - https://my.unsw.edu.au/student/sitemap.html#Fees,HELP&Financials

Say you're a local CSP kid doing Humanities, it's $5201 per EFTSL (aka 1 year of 8x0.125 EFTSL, 6UOC courses).
By comparison a Full-fee paying/international can expect to pay $425/UOC, so that's 425 x 6 x 8 for 8 6UOC courses in a year, aka $20400.

Hooray for citizenship!

EDIT: Just realised this is in the general university section but yeah... now you know how they do fees at UNSW. Obviously it's different everywhere.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)