How much can a 25% weighting assessment task affect you? (1 Viewer)

Snowflek

HSC
So i'm just curious as my ranking for that subject is around the 20s-25s/35 (havent been given yet, but able to predict it based on other pples marks).

chickencoop

HSC
25% will be 1/4 of your internal assessments weighting so theres no doubt that it will have an overall impact on your final rank. However, if you can lift up your ranking for the remaining 75% of your internal assessments and also do well in the external HSC test, you will be fine!

HSC
Keep in mind that internal mark is further diluted by the 50% weighting of the HSC external exam. Just keep on track and you'll go places! :)

D94

HSC
N/A

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Oh but I heard that BOS does something called 'moderation' which is based off the raw marks: http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/hsc-results/moderation.html

Can you elaborate?
They moderate the raw marks of the HSC exam. Then after that they give the highest exam mark to the top ranked student INTERNALLY (which is why rank matters) and the lowest mark to the lowest rank. Then they add up the rest and distribute it or something. For example, your school submits you first on 100 assessment, but the highest in your cohort is 90 in the HSC after moderation then the highest assessment mark is 90.

I know my school and many other schools submit boosted assessment marks but they mainly DECREASE the gap between each student to boost the cohort up overall.

I'm not sure if my explanation was right but it's the general idea...

donkily

HSC
N/A
Well they don't base it off raw marks. If they did, schools which give out marks or set easy tasks willy-nilly would unfairly advantage their students.

I recommend reading this article, it explains it well.
They moderate the raw marks of the HSC exam. Then after that they give the highest exam mark to the top ranked student INTERNALLY (which is why rank matters) and the lowest mark to the lowest rank. Then they add up the rest and distribute it or something. For example, your school submits you first on 100 assessment, but the highest in your cohort is 90 in the HSC after moderation then the highest assessment mark is 90.

I know my school and many other schools submit boosted assessment marks but they mainly DECREASE the gap between each student to boost the cohort up overall.

Exactly

That's why you don't trust these fucking idiots and trolls on this forum who say "25% internal is 12.5% of the total HSC" when clearly it's fucking not

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

I think essentially the only ranks that really matter in that sense are first and last. Other than those, I think your marks are based on the distribution of internal marks and relative gaps etc. (from memory).

D94

HSC
N/A
Exactly

That's why you don't trust these fucking idiots and trolls on this forum who say "25% internal is 12.5% of the total HSC" when clearly it's fucking not
Do you know that marks matter a great deal? Your rank is mostly irrelevant. Ranks are not a factor in the calculation of your assessment mark.

When you said your rank is more important, that is actually incorrect. Your rank doesn't gauge your abilities or your understanding of the subject. Your marks, in assessments of HSC standards, do. If the assessment isn't of HSC standards, the process of moderation will ensure the marks you gain at your school can be fairly compared to the marks at another school. It should be obvious that your rank is meaningless when 3rd at your school will unlikely get the same mark as 3rd at another school. If rank was so important, you should explain why that isn't the case and how school assessment marks are derived before making incorrect statements.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)