How much detail for DNA fingerprinting? (1 Viewer)

.ben

HSC
How much detail do we have to know for

"- outline the use of highly variable genes for DNA fingerprinting of forensic samples, for paternity testing and for determining the pedigree of animals"

In some textbooks (Jacaranda) there is an insane amount, while in the Heinemann it seems to only give barebones.

Dr_Doom

HSC
Well outline is main points of. So I would just highlight the main points...

* DNA fingerprinting involves comparing DNA patterns of different fragments from different individuals. Identical patterns of fragment size suggest identical sources of DNA. If enough identical DNA sequences are found, then identification can be determined. Skin, hair or blood cells are frequently used. This is used in forensic science to match blood from suspects at a crime scene, to determine the paternity of a baby, and to determine the pedigree or lineage of individual animals where more than one mating is made.

* By selecting desirable genes rather than phenotypes, animals and plants can be produced with the preferred characteristics. Examples of these characteristics include disease resistance in certain crops and fish, tolerance of extreme environmental conditions, meat from cattle with low fat.

That is about all you would need to know...

.ben

HSC
do we have to know about VNTRs or STRs or how to process DNA band patterns?

cbadvanced

Air Wick
HSC
.ben said:
wow mad thankyou!
u basically just need to know what it does (i.e. can identify if one organism is related to another)

and a BASIC idea of HOW it works (i.e. comparing bands in 2 DNA samples)

other than that, screw it
going any further is like doctor stuff lol

madmatt3d

HSC
I was just totally stressing out about this dot point.

Are you sure we dont have to know about elctrophoresis, restriction enzymes and flourescent/radiactive probes?!:eek: :confused:

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
In terms of details, its best to confirm with different Biology Teachers, because the syllabus can be interpreted differently.

elctrophoresis, restriction enzymes and flourescent/radiactive probes?

That material I believe is perhaps heading more into the university arena. But knowing more is much better than less.

All those 3 are quite simple actually, the Fluorescent probes are exactly what its name suggests.

axlenatore

Scuba Steve
HSC
You just need to know how it works and what it can be used for

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)