how much do internal assesments really count?? plus other random questions (1 Viewer)

nadine06

HSC
hello please feel free to answer one or more of my questions

1. just wandering if you do okish in your internals but ace the actual hsc do u still have a chance of gettin band 6's??

2. do u think its fair that some people have a reasonable assesment load while others (like me) have about 4 in a week?

3. does everyone hate the fact we start in term 4 after 3 terms of a major workload and complete burnout?

thats about all of my rambling
thanxx and write anything

peace out

Beege

HSC
1. Its all about your rank mate, if it is fairly high and you do well in your externals you will probably get a decent result

2. I have 3 this week, did one today and I got 2 on friday, yeh they should spread each task out, putting them all together at once is very stressful and won't really allow you to achieve to your full potenital

3. Yeh I know it sucks ay

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
1) You can still score band 6 in the hsc even if your assessment ranks suck sh*t. However, the best situation you can be in is for your ranks to be higher, so you should still be putting in the effort prior to the externals.

2) Yes. Luck of the draw. Plus those people who choose 14units compared to those who might do 10units have made the choice at their own discretion; if you have that many assessments then prepare earlier!

3) I did sh*t all in year 11 as did others i know. When you entered prelim you should have known that it was only for 3 terms, the marks/ranks not transferring over to year 12 and so balance and not over-exerting yourself was the key.

However i too experienced burnout because i didn't follow my own advice at times :eek: so i hope you get over it (to an extent)

nadine06

HSC
it wasnt so uch the prelim stuff but i did accelerated maths so it was a whole new thing

HSC
1. yes its still is possible to get a band 6, but u should try to rank well to ensure that ur assessment mark for ur hsc is high

2. no i don't think it is fair, cos other's who have a spread workload have an advantage, but if u mange ur time well, it shouldn't matter, but i do think it is unfair

3. burn out is very bad, it really sucks

zangetsu.xo

BANGSAT LOOO
anywhere with a bowl of rice and chopsticks in han
HSC
2. i think it all really depends on luck and the subjects combination and amount of units. but yeah i have a strange assessment timetable and it does suck. but hey it's only for another year and then you'll be thinking about nothing. aaah bliss...

3. well i dont know about you nadine or anyone else but i put in practically 0% effort in yr 11 coz i knew it didnt count at all and i didnt want to experience burnout at the beginning of yr 12.
but that's yr 11. and it's over. and now everything counts.
so just pace yourself i guess...
and maybe i should take my own advice...

GOOD LUCK WITH ASSESSMENTS GUYS!

Affinity

HSC
hello please feel free to answer one or more of my questions

1. Internal assessments matter more when the difference within the class is big.

2. Get use to it, whinging doesn't get you infront

3. Ditto.

thats about all of my rambling
thanxx and write anything

peace out

Wackedupwacko

HSC
1. internal assessments only impact your rank. which is why you have to *work hard* all year. should u happen to be thoenly person doing a subject you could as long as you dont fail the course requirements do nothing all year and just leave it all up to hsc exam. and yes you can get band 6 if your internal wasnt that great.

2. not really some subjects while they may not have exams at the same time as you (ee2 is an example... when have u ppl ever had an exam) however they may have things like major works due.theres no such thing as fair or unfair. you chose the subjects you are doing and you cant really compare with other peoples choices every subject is different with different workloads and assessment policies.

3.would you rather 3 terms of year 12 or 4 terms. honestly if you start in term 1 by the time term 3 rolls around youll be slowly doing more of /wrist because you will most definately have not finished even... 2/3 of the course and panic mode sets in. (i will make an exclusion with jap at our school... gg sugi with her hax teaching... lettin us finish in term1 the whole course )

Shrikar

MλĐ€ IŇ ĮŃĐĨλ
HSC
Uni Grad
Hmm all your questions pretty much are the same as mine.

1. Don't know about that one, hopefully so cause i don't think i did too well in my first assessment tasks

2. Yes i know, i have had a whole bunch of assessment tasks that are due around the same time

3. yes, it sucks entirely.

P

pLuvia

2. Deal with it, it depends on what subjects you do, the amount of units, teachers, schools, etc etc. Don't worry it's just another year and you'll be free til uni :D I don't think I had many assignments in the HSC year but I didn't do those humanities, assignment type subjects

3. Year 11 wasn't too bad, it was quite easy there wasn't much to burn out on :confused:. But yes, wouldn't you rather you finish earlier then have 4 terms of year 11 and 4 terms of year 12?

airie

airie <3 avatars :)
HSC
I concur with no.3. Man, I just wanna relax at the end of the year, not battle with some...stupid...assessments...:mad1:

airie

airie <3 avatars :)
HSC
suchet_i said:
no. 3 will come back to u at a greater level after the trials when u hav studied so had for these school examinations and yet the main hsc is still up ahead
And I'm certainly not looking forward to that. Experienced the same thing this year at the end of prelim exams and with the prospect of first HSC assessments :rolleyes:

Teddy Lee

HSC
2. try having 6 assessments in 4 days. my fault entirely for not preparing for them all earlier though it's really frustrating when some people have two spread over 3 weeks.

i rkn it definately gives ppl an advantage, having more time to study for less assessments but the only way to beat this unfair advantage is to prepare harder and longer. of course, this is easier said then done, personally i did crap in practically all 6 assessments!

also, a few ppl have mentioned burnout in this thread - watch out for it! lack of motivation was a massive problem for me and it never really was before which is strange.

finally, good luck with assessments! holidays are so close!!

goosiegoo

HSC
3. Yes. I hate that. I hate that alot. No matter how hard i tried to not try..

i just kept on trying to hard.

And now l'm just.. too tired.. for everything.

I feel your pain.

toadstooltown

1337 }{4><
HSC
N/A
1. They really matter sometimes. My school is no where near the top 200 so it was really important to be in the top 5-10% of each course if you want over 97 or so and not be dragged down immensly by the students who simply don't hand in some assessments or leave the exam after an hour, which a bunch of people did at my school. I fought tooth and nail for my ranks in english and chem as they were contested, but did slack off a bit in 4u maths as my class only had two. But, then, that meant that my HSC mark was 100% of my course which was rather worrying.

2. As much as they do say they spread them in years 11 and 12 they do tend to clump with some subjects. Do remember that while someone might have many assignments to hand in, other people have subjects with a lot of exams - which can be even more distressing as you can't edit or start over and require a lot of study to do well in at some schools, and others have perhaps 3+ major works which, for a good mark, require a great deal of work.

3. I tried really hard in year 11 'cause I knew if I were going to make mistakes, I wanted it to be in year 11 during a practice run and not in year 12. I took a month off and then got to work on my 30% english assignment and revision for 2 maths in January. As obvious as it is, avoid burnout by doing little bits of study. Don't think that you need to do 5 hours of chem study when you get home as you'll feel so overwhelmed that you probably won't do any and get pouty.

Realise that while some have it easier than others, which is unavoidable, very few people feel the HSC is a breeze. Focus on the things with the most weighting.

Last edited:

flyingdown

Ave Satanas!
HSC
Your final mark is the average of your internal assessment mark and the HSC exam mark.

So for example if you get 85 for school assessments and 95 for the exam, you will get a 90.

It also depends on ranking.

Heh, I had 5 assessments in 3 days. That was not fun, but I think I managed to do OK in all of them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)