• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

How much do ranks matter? (2 Viewers)

micuzzo

HSC
The last time you asked was in this thread, and while the answer I gave hasn't changed, I would encourage you to ask more questions if something I said doesn't make sense. :)
lol...yeah i didnt really go through the other thread u posted a link to....however as u said people just refer to the ranks/marks thing in that way...however... i still dont see how if thats true that the mark u get is not ur own...

Gerald10

HSC
Ranks matter a fair bit. This mainly because the Baord of Studies does this fhecked up thing called moderating, and this even more fhecked up thing called aligning.

For example.

Tom, Dick and Harry were the only people at Kellyville High to study Physics (just a ridiculous example, sorry if you're actually in this situation :) ).
Their internal assessment marks were:
Tom - 78/100
Dick - 96/100
Harry - 85/100.

Now as you can see, Tom did pretty damn shit.

Their EXAM marks wore:
Tom - 95/100 (Had a major cram session the night before the exam.)
Dick - 65/100 (Got pissed the day before the exam and halfway through he had to run to the toilets and puke 'cos he was hungover.)
Harry - 91/100 (Crammed with Tom.)

SO, the final MODERATED internal assessment marks would be:
Tom - 65/100
Dick - 95/100
Harry - 91/100
(In this case, Harry is lucky enough to get his own external exam mark for his assessment mark.)

And in the end we have something lke this (aligned marks).
Tom - 62/100, 98/100, Aligned HSC mark (approx.) = 80
Dick - 98/100, 62/100, Aligned HSC mark = 80
Harry - 93/100, 93/100, Aligned HSC mark = 94 (as he's in the top band, he's mark would probably get bumped up just a little bit).

So there you have it - that's why ranks matter. You always gets the highest external exam mark as your internal assessment mark, and then it gets either bumped up or knocked down during the aligning process. I guess I could have just said that at the start, but heck, I love examples! LOL :D
Thats not quite right. In ext2 Maths I got an assesment of 84 even though the lowest mark in my class was 87 in the exam. Also a girl at my school topped the state in PE despite being ranked 2nd at the school.

How far you are apart makes a difference in determining the moderated assesment mark.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
HEHE LOL seen this happening alot :), but i know who i am. Trust me i kiil 4unit. and unlike that kid i fkn accelerated 2unit last yr!
yet you couldn't differentiate u = e^-t with du/dt.

haha, whats your name kiddo? ill look it up for state ranks at the end of the year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)