How much do trials count towards the ATAR? (1 Viewer)

HSC
I heard people say it's 40%. Is that true or does it depend on the school? Also, does that mean that only 10% of your internal assessments; exams, assignments, etc go towards the ATAR because I know the remaining 50% is from the exam at the end of the year.

enoilgam

HSC
Depends on the school. Usually the trials are worth 30-40%, althought they can be worth more or less. As your assessment mark counts for 50% of your final HSC mark, your other assessments are usually worth about 30-35% of that 50% (since your trials are 15-20% of that figure).

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Depends on how much of the internal mark it's worth, usually 25-50% of your internal mark, which is half of your overall mark, and a little more complicated when getting your final mark, but yeah that.

Skyzor

HSC
Like others have said, it all varies between subjects and schools. For example my modern history exam is worth 40%, hasdfgasvhgasd, while economics is worth 30%...

HSC
So basically if they are worth 30 - 40% approx, then your other assessments don't really have that much of an weighting? Because the other 50% of your atar is worth from the final end of year exam.

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
So basically if they are worth 30 - 40% approx, then your other assessments don't really have that much of an weighting? Because the other 50% of your atar is worth from the final end of year exam.
noooooooooooooo!

you have to consider it as it being worth 100%, because your internal exams are what set up your rankings and put you in a better position once you do your external exams, basically you use internal exams to increase your ranking and your final marks are pretty much based off the external exam, plus your rank, and the gap between ranks of you and your peers in the school & subject.

So basically 70% - 80% of your ATAR are from the trials and the end of year exam??
As explained above, no... trials are eg. 30% internal, other 70% of internal is from other assessments, then the final exam is pretty much used to determine what mark you end up with.

Go look at the "How your atar works" section either on the board of studies site or UAC site, I dont remember where I saw it, that'll help you understand it a little better and what happens with marks & ranks.

HSC
How high of an rank do you need to have to not be screwed? I'm really worried because I think I'm probably going to come in the bottom of Mathematics and Physics, so I don't know, maybe I will drop down to General, depending on how I go with 2U in the first few weeks.

I only wanted to get an ATAR of like 70 so I can get into Bachelor of Arts. My school rank is 137 and I'm worried I'm not going to do well internally in terms of ranks. It is still 2 years from now...but time flies by very quickly and so far in Year 10 I'm not getting very good marks :L So I am worried.

Hermes1

Banned
HSC
mine are:

ext 1 and 2 maths - 40%
mod hist - 25%
Chem - 30%
English - 20%

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
no, if they are worth 30% per subject for your internals, overall they are worth 30/2 = 15%
remember, the weighting your school puts on assessments adds up to 100% of your internal mark. External mark is 50% and internals are 50%, therefore the school weightings must be divided by 2 to add up to 50% in the end.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
How high of an rank do you need to have to not be screwed? I'm really worried because I think I'm probably going to come in the bottom of Mathematics and Physics, so I don't know, maybe I will drop down to General, depending on how I go with 2U in the first few weeks.

I only wanted to get an ATAR of like 70 so I can get into Bachelor of Arts. My school rank is 137 and I'm worried I'm not going to do well internally in terms of ranks. It is still 2 years from now...but time flies by very quickly and so far in Year 10 I'm not getting very good marks :L So I am worried.
Just get as high a rank as you can. Because if we say get xth out of 30 and you get ranked xth and rest on your laurels and fail - then... you know.

Seriously though, 70 is the average ATAR so you should do fine.

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
Just get as high a rank as you can. Because if we say get xth out of 30 and you get ranked xth and rest on your laurels and fail - then... you know.

Seriously though, 70 is the average ATAR so you should do fine.
but what about your co-hort at your school, I heard that if you have a high average, your externals will be moderated with a higher mark then with another student at another school who has a lower avg in their co-hort.

E.g. Student A goes to a high ranking school, Student B goes to a mid - low ranking school

Student A gets the same raw mark as student B in the external exam, lets say 90

Now because Student A goes to a school of tougher competition, they have a higher average to beat in their internals, therefore would make them rank greater than student B. so therefore Student A might get like 92 and Student B would be left at 90.

Is this how it works? I'm might be a little confused.

enoilgam

HSC

There are around 600 schools in the state, so a school ranked in the 130's is actually quite good. Try not to worry about school ranks, just focus on doing the best you can.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
but what about your co-hort at your school, I heard that if you have a high average, your externals will be moderated with a higher mark then with another student at another school who has a lower avg in their co-hort.

E.g. Student A goes to a high ranking school, Student B goes to a mid - low ranking school

Student A gets the same raw mark as student B in the external exam, lets say 90

Now because Student A goes to a school of tougher competition, they have a higher average to beat in their internals, therefore would make them rank greater than student B. so therefore Student A might get like 92 and Student B would be left at 90.

Is this how it works? I'm might be a little confused.
Yes, you're confused. I'd go into the specifics but they're a little complicated.

The purpose of the HSC exam is to moderate marks to a common-ish scale to display a record of achievement in the course. It does not make sense to assign the same raw mark, different moderated marks because of 'tougher competition' or whatever. The fact is, the person got the same raw mark - and they should get the same moderated mark.

Now that only applies to the top ranked and hopefully - the bottom ranked person. Everyone else is given a moderated mark based on a graph mapped to the top and sometimes bottom marks which takes into account the gaps between assessment ranks.

Questions?

HSC
I have always found the aligning/moderating/scaling process or whatever way too complicated so I haven't bothered to understand it. I've just been told to not worry about the things I can't control, at the end of the day if you work hard, you will get what you deserve in the end.

ilyetf

HSC
Trials don't count towards your ATAR, only your HSC mark, and which band you receive in a subject, etc. The ATAR is calculated off of your raw HSC exam mark and how you rank in the HSC exams vs the rest of the country.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)