• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

How much do tutors and lab demonstrators get paid? (1 Viewer)

HSC
Hi there

just wondering how much a 4th year tutor/demonstrator would get paid per hr.

biopia

WestSyd-UNSW3x/week
HSC
So it is true...
Later year students can become tutors? I thought so.
Is there a special process you have to go through to become a tutor?

I know it's way into the future for me, but it's definitely something I'd love to do. I love teaching.

Sokolov

HSC
N/A
First Year Physics Labs tutors get paid around $30+.
$40-ish if you are a PhD student.

need a science/engineering degree who has done physics at some point, preference given to honours and phd student.

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
So it is true...
Later year students can become tutors? I thought so.
Is there a special process you have to go through to become a tutor?

I know it's way into the future for me, but it's definitely something I'd love to do. I love teaching.
Undergrads can become tutors.

So long as your WAM is 75+ and you don't fuck up the interview.

HSC
cool. im half thinking of being a lab demonstrator for an elec eng subject. in elec eng (which is what i do) to become a lab demonstrator you just need to be friendly with the lecturer, and have good marks. i'm not sure there is a formal applicatoin process or anything.

cse probably have the most undergraduate tutors; in a 2nd year course i did the tutor was a 3rd year. but yeah for cse you have to apply and be interviewed.

sinophile

HSC
N/A
if youre going to teach in the future, please be awesome, don't be one of the bastards that just read the textbook

biopia

WestSyd-UNSW3x/week
HSC
if youre going to teach in the future, please be awesome, don't be one of the bastards that just read the textbook
Lol, I promise XD
I have actually had almost 4 years experience in tutoring maths and teaching the piano and more recently, I've been tutoring physics. I always try to mix things up and make it interesting.

Can successful 2nd years take on 1st year tutes? And does a WAM only count for 1 subject or is that the average mark for all subjects you do in your first year?

cjtk

HSC
N/A
Lol, I promise XD
I have actually had almost 4 years experience in tutoring maths and teaching the piano and more recently, I've been tutoring physics. I always try to mix things up and make it interesting.

Can successful 2nd years take on 1st year tutes? And does a WAM only count for 1 subject or is that the average mark for all subjects you do in your first year?
ok it really depends on which school you want to work for.

I know cse (computing) hires some 2nd year students.
Math hires SSS tutors, 3rd year or above
Elec engg lab demonstrator, normally 3rd year or above
Physics lab, only postgraduate or phd.

I heard business school has PASS leaders, 2nd year can apply
you need to ask someone else about other schools.

and for WAM i think cse mainly looks at your computing course WAM
not sure about other schools.

What degree are you doing?

biopia

WestSyd-UNSW3x/week
HSC
Lol, it's in my sig XD
Bachelor of Architectural Studies so FBE. I dunno what the tutes and stuff are like yet, but I imagine they would have to hire some greater year students considering there are so many tutes to cover :S

I really do like teaching, so it would just be the perfect combination. Studying what I love and teaching it too XD

dawdlex3

HSC
Lol, it's in my sig XD
Bachelor of Architectural Studies so FBE. I dunno what the tutes and stuff are like yet, but I imagine they would have to hire some greater year students considering there are so many tutes to cover :S

I really do like teaching, so it would just be the perfect combination. Studying what I love and teaching it too XD
I took an FBE course in sem 1 last year - BENV1042, and my tutor was in her third year I think. Pretty sure if you're friendly with lecturers you'll get a chance.

biopia

WestSyd-UNSW3x/week
HSC
Wow, those figures are AMAZING...

Still, I have to question whether they apply to students who get the opportunity to take a tutorial. All over the place, I see "doctoral qualification". Does that still include students?

I also like the rates for marking exams. :p

flamearrows

come on die young
HSC
Wow, those figures are AMAZING...

Still, I have to question whether they apply to students who get the opportunity to take a tutorial. All over the place, I see "doctoral qualification". Does that still include students?

I also like the rates for marking exams. :p
Yeah, there's a separate one for tutors with doctoral qualifications.

Marking exams is pretty rubbish - think 10 - 12 hour days, over the weekend, in order to get through the papers in time for the deadline. It's not very fun.

biopia

WestSyd-UNSW3x/week
HSC
Yeah, there's a separate one for tutors with doctoral qualifications.

Marking exams is pretty rubbish - think 10 - 12 hour days, over the weekend, in order to get through the papers in time for the deadline. It's not very fun.
Still, the money is good :p

Just to clarify, if I was a third or honours year student, and I took a tutorial, which category would I fall under?

flamearrows

come on die young
HSC
Still, the money is good :p

Just to clarify, if I was a third or honours year student, and I took a tutorial, which category would I fall under?
Earning Code 153 / 154 / 160

$113.88 for the first tutorial, $75.92 for every tutorial thereafter, $37.96 per hour for marking. $37.96 per hour is also paid for meetings.

So, the average honours student taking four tutorials makes around ~$350 per week of academic session, plus any meetings and marking.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)