How much does your school rank affect your ATAR? (1 Viewer)

Obsequious

HSC
I was just wondering if anyone knew how much it actually affects it. My school is pretty highly ranked (57 in the state) and wanted to know how that will impact my ATAR.

Does it impact differently if you personally got a high or low ATAR also? Does it push it up/bring it down?

Thanks in advance for your advice! :)

nae_13

Premium Member
HSC
Depends also on your rank within the school. If you are highly ranked, the position of your school has less impact. Well I hope so anyway. I go to a school ~630's, and am coming first in 5 of my subjects, so hopefully the school won't bring me down.

Obsequious

HSC
Could I get an estimate then? My ranks aren't very high (lol). I'm aiming for an ATAR of 75.05

Business Studies: 19/27
Ancient History: 13/19
History Extension: 13/16
General Mathematics: 23/34
Advanced English: 40/49
Economics: 13/19

School rank obviously 57.

enoilgam

HSC
Youyr probably looking at 73-78. ATAR's and HSC marks arent directly affected by school rank (i.e. The BOS and UAC dont alter your results based on school rank). However, a strong cohort can be an advantage with the moderation of internal marks.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Folks remember that any school rank you see is last year's or earlier and will therefore not influence your ATAR at all. It could give an indication of how your school might perform assuming that your cohort is of a similar standard to last year's cohort.

After you have done the HSC schools will be re-ranked based on your cohort's results.

School rank doesn't affect your results. Your results determine your school's rank for 2011.

Obsequious

HSC
Folks remember that any school rank you see is last year's or earlier and will therefore not influence your ATAR at all. It could give an indication of how your school might perform assuming that your cohort is of a similar standard to last year's cohort.

After you have done the HSC schools will be re-ranked based on your cohort's results.

School rank doesn't affect your results. Your results determine your school's rank for 2011.
Very true, but my school has been ranked within the 50-60 range for the past 2-3 years so I would say it is an accurate assumption to make. A school ranked further down the list would be more susceptible to fluctuations in scores in my opinion.

powlmao

Banned
HSC
Very true, but my school has been ranked within the 50-60 range for the past 2-3 years so I would say it is an accurate assumption to make. A school ranked further down the list would be more susceptible to fluctuations in scores in my opinion.
When your school is ranked around 100+ it differs greatly from year to year

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Directly doesn't do anything, indirectly provides you a general estimation on how well you can/should do.

When your school is ranked around 100+ it differs greatly from year to year
not always

powlmao

Banned
HSC
Directly doesn't do anything, indirectly provides you a general estimation on how well you can/should do.

not always

SINCE WHEN YOU ARE A MOD!!!

Usually. Not saying it is a rule but it does happen

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I was just wondering if anyone knew how much it actually affects it. My school is pretty highly ranked (57 in the state) and wanted to know how that will impact my ATAR.

Does it impact differently if you personally got a high or low ATAR also? Does it push it up/bring it down?

Thanks in advance for your advice! :)
Effect of school rank on ATAR: zero.

/thread

Nicole31

HSC
So im in year 12 now, and we just finished our hald yearlies. Anyways this has been worrying me for a while so ill spill.

My half yearly Advanced English Mark was 92% And in all my assessments for the first semester i have gotten 90%- But my rank for ad. English is 12/58
My chemistry half yearly mark was 88% and in all my chem assessments for first semester, i have gotten 85+%. But my chem rank is 12/33.

Will my internal school rank, prohibit me from getting a band 6 in either of these subjects? :(

also For example, someone comes second for the internal rank, but in the external exam (hsc) manages to get a ridiculously amazing mark (1st in the state)/ Because that person came 2nd internally, will the person who came 1st internally get the ridiculously amazing mark? Coz that'd be damn unfair.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
So im in year 12 now, and we just finished our hald yearlies. Anyways this has been worrying me for a while so ill spill.

My half yearly Advanced English Mark was 92% And in all my assessments for the first semester i have gotten 90%- But my rank for ad. English is 12/58
My chemistry half yearly mark was 88% and in all my chem assessments for first semester, i have gotten 85+%. But my chem rank is 12/33.

Will my internal school rank, prohibit me from getting a band 6 in either of these subjects? :(

also For example, someone comes second for the internal rank, but in the external exam (hsc) manages to get a ridiculously amazing mark (1st in the state)/ Because that person came 2nd internally, will the person who came 1st internally get the ridiculously amazing mark? Coz that'd be damn unfair.

You ALWAYS keep your own exam mark but the 1st ranked person will hopefully say thank you for their amazing internal mark unless the top mark is determined to be an outlier.

If that happens then you will still keep your exam mark but the top internal mark will be lower.

That would happen if the school say sent in top at 80 and then the top exam mark comes in at 100 but the school sent in 2nd at 78 and the 1st ranked student say got 84 on the exam - then that 100 would be seen as an outlier and taken out of the moderation process but only the moderation process.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)