How much effort to get an honors degree? (1 Viewer)

Bobbo1

HSC
Say for a UNSW B Commerce/B Economics degree, roughly how many people are invited to participate in the honors program? And can I rely on getting in if I do this degree?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I think you need a WAM of 80 to get into Honours - and after you apply. Top 10% of students or so get marks of 80+ so... you have to be pretty good to get in. Would you rely on getting it? I wouldn't, because you don't know how you'll react to the style of uni work.

LightXT

HSC
Uni Grad
It's one extra year...I don't know the WAM cutoff for participation. Isn't 1st class honours a WAM of 85 (or 75) for degrees that don't require an extra year?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
It's one extra year...I don't know the WAM cutoff for participation. Isn't 1st class honours a WAM of 85 (or 75) for degrees that don't require an extra year?
That's the mark you get in Honours year, not the marks you have to get to get into the Honours year.

LightXT

HSC
Uni Grad
That's the mark you get in Honours year, not the marks you have to get to get into the Honours year.
Engo doesn't have an extra year for honours. It's the WAM you graduate with in your 4th year (if you're doing a single degree). I don't know about Commerce, though...

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Engo doesn't have an extra year for honours. It's the WAM you graduate with in your 4th year (if you're doing a single degree). I don't know about Commerce, though...
The OP wants Honours for Commerce/Economics. Perhaps you mistook 'Economics' for 'Engineering'...?

Bobbo1

HSC
Wow, thanks for the quick replies guys, and also if you do commerce/adv maths can you do an honors in finance and in maths at the same time or will it take 2 years?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Not sure about Commerce honours, but maths honours is automatic.

hungwell1337

HSC
N/A
entrance is based on marks, but its also based on your initial application, if you can find a supervisor thats willing to take you on then 75 average is enough

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC
Wow, thanks for the quick replies guys, and also if you do commerce/adv maths can you do an honors in finance and in maths at the same time or will it take 2 years?
i highly doubt you could do 2 honours programs in 1 year, cos apparently they're really hard

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Only if you are doing Maths Adv, right?
Yeah, and a few other degrees I'm not sure about. Like I think Adv Science as well.

entrance is based on marks, but its also based on your initial application, if you can find a supervisor thats willing to take you on then 75 average is enough
Oh okay.

And mitchy, Honours is 48 credit points, iirc. So you'd be essentially overloading by doing 96cp in a year instead of 48cp with two Honours.

Bobbo1

HSC
k ty guys, any other input would be greatly appreciated :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)