How much english is required for law? (1 Viewer)

donthaveaname

HSC
N/A
i am considering doing law, however im a little hesitant about my ability to do it. i did english advanced and got 89. do you think that this is good enough for law? also i find that i have difficulty writing essays, and on average take approx 6+hrs to complete a 2000word essay. to all the law students out there, what do you think of my ability to dao the course?

flamearrows

come on die young
HSC
i am considering doing law, however im a little hesitant about my ability to do it. i did english advanced and got 89. do you think that this is good enough for law? also i find that i have difficulty writing essays, and on average take approx 6+hrs to complete a 2000word essay. to all the law students out there, what do you think of my ability to dao the course?
Damn, son, I wish I could do a 2000 word legal essay in six hours. Or any sort of assignment for that matter.

I wouldn't worry if I were you.

Crylias

HSC
i take 9 hrs to do 1000 words.. i got 91 for adv english.. i think ur fine

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
You'll be fine, its a particular comand of English that will partly be taught at law school and is hard to determine based on HSC results. As long as you can comprehend, analyse and communicate effectively then you'll be fine. The rest is picked up!

Timbo650

Supposed to be studying
HSC
N/A
ialso i find that i have difficulty writing essays, and on average take approx 6+hrs to complete a 2000word essay
Assuming that you are not a troll....
2000 words is less common that 2500 words, even in early years of Law School.
I suggest that a full production 2500 word essay, done with proper referencing and attribution,
will probably take you in the vicinity of 12 hours of writing time.

That's in addition to the time you have to spend researching.

Of course, different kinds of assignments, and different subjects, take different amounts of time.

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
If your essay did not require research, 6+ hours is friggggginggggggggggggg longgggggggggggggg for 2000 words. Can write that in like an hour max. What yuo going to do when you need to do all the research etc?

Don't do law! I've tutored stress-heads over the year and worry you becoming one.

Their life is very miserable - one even stalked me to the extent of going to the suburb I lived in and insisting I come out and meet her to help her with her essay. Crazy and anal perfectionists with skitz problems. Tends to be girls all the time too who are skitz. Vowed never to tutor law students who sound so upright and perfect over the phone.

rx34

HSC
During exam/assignment time, do the guys help relatively attractive girls (acquaintances) in their work more than their guy acquaintances?

avant

HSC
A good grasp of English is extremely important for succeeding in law - truly, the only two skills you need to succeed are diligence and reading comprehension. Writing ability can be learned.

It's not about how quickly you write an essay (particularly high school essays, which differ so much from law essays that they are incomparable), but how well you read; the depth and versatility of your vocabulary; and the fluency of your verbal skills (oral and written).

Law essays tend to test synthesis (research, adducing arguments) as much as they test analysis. I found that in high school I had never ever had to synthesise information beyond a basic level and this was troubling. Law exams test how well you write under pressure.

A good way to test yourself is to read a few of the easier law judgments - particularly,

Donoghue v Stevenson, UK Law Online (Donoghue v Stevenson)
Justis - ICLR Special Issue - Carlill v Carbolic Smoke Ball Co. (Carlill v Carbolic Smokeball)

The above two cases are two of the most important ever. More to the point, they are interesting, relevant, short, and relatively easy. See how you go with those - it's ok to be a bit frazzled at first but if you really can't see yourself reading hundreds of pages of that stuff per subject, law school is not for you

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
A good grasp of English is extremely important for succeeding in law - truly, the only two skills you need to succeed are diligence and reading comprehension. Writing ability can be learned.

It's not about how quickly you write an essay (particularly high school essays, which differ so much from law essays that they are incomparable), but how well you read; the depth and versatility of your vocabulary; and the fluency of your verbal skills (oral and written).

Law essays tend to test synthesis (research, adducing arguments) as much as they test analysis. I found that in high school I had never ever had to synthesise information beyond a basic level and this was troubling. Law exams test how well you write under pressure.

A good way to test yourself is to read a few of the easier law judgments - particularly,

Donoghue v Stevenson, UK Law Online (Donoghue v Stevenson)
Justis - ICLR Special Issue - Carlill v Carbolic Smoke Ball Co. (Carlill v Carbolic Smokeball)

The above two cases are two of the most important ever. More to the point, they are interesting, relevant, short, and relatively easy. See how you go with those - it's ok to be a bit frazzled at first but if you really can't see yourself reading hundreds of pages of that stuff per subject, law school is not for you

Dude, I wouldn't call them 'easy law judgements'...interesting yes. OP generally you'll be reading newer cases that are more recent and thus the english is a bit easier to understand!

bored at work

HSC
I still don't think I read cases particularly well, and I will say that it's the same for a lot of lawyers in transaction groups as well. As long as you can understand the concepts you'll be fine, I wouldn't be too disheartened if you get lost in the judgments.

RDX

one8seven
HSC
Uni Grad
A good understanding in English obviously. I generally do my assignments in short blocks, overall takes around 3-4ish hours to do 2000-3000 words (Depends if I'm alone or around people)

dude01

HSC
Are you guys who do university law essays in 3-4 hours joking? Seriously, research, reading journal articles, referencing and writing the actual essay takes me about a week of working on the essay every night (say, 5 hours a night). I write the essay as I research though and procrastinate quite a bit.

But still, 3-4 hours... wtf?

Last edited:

avant

HSC
Are you guys who do university law essays in 3-4 hours joking? Seriously, research, reading journal articles, referencing and writing the actual essay takes me about a week of working on the essay every night (say, 5 hours a night). I write the essay as I research though and procrastinate quite a bit.

But still, 3-4 hours... wtf?
they're just bullshitting. or maybe they refer to the actual 'writing' component only in which case you can write 2000 words in 6-8 hours easily if you're forced to - but that presumes you've done all the research and planning. a standard time for a law essay including all research and drafting would be...

1000 words - 10 hours
2000 words - 30-35 hours
5000 words - 80+ hours

dste6

HSC
they might be referring to the all too common way that students go about writing essay assignments: "oh shit! it's due in 2 days, how long will it take for me to cobble something together..."

lol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)