How much harder is 4 units compared to 3 units? (1 Viewer)

gurmies

Drover
HSC
In all honesty, the concepts that 3 and 4 unit encounter are really quite simple. Perhaps this is because I have finished both the ME1 and ME2 courses. Having said that, I didn't do too well - I have always had a bad exam record.

stampede

doin it tuff
HSC
In all honesty, the concepts that 3 and 4 unit encounter are really quite simple. Perhaps this is because I have finished both the ME1 and ME2 courses. Having said that, I didn't do too well - I have always had a bad exam record.

lol, i also stuff up in exams, howd u go?

Zuroy

HSC
Thanks for the replies :)

Also one more question, if i decide to do 4 units next year, would i have to do 3 exams? As in i would have to sit 3 maths exams for my HSC. (2U, 3u and 4U?)

And would i also have to study 3 books?
3 different maths classes?

Sorry if these questions are stupid i just heard from a current year 12 who says he will have to sit 3 exams.

stampede

doin it tuff
HSC
Thanks for the replies :)

Also one more question, if i decide to do 4 units next year, would i have to do 3 exams? As in i would have to sit 3 maths exams for my HSC. (2U, 3u and 4U?)

And would i also have to study 3 books?
3 different maths classes?

Sorry if these questions are stupid i just heard from a current year 12 who says he will have to sit 3 exams.
lol nah, u just sit the 3 and 4unit exams, unless you wana do 2unit in year 11..

the 4unit and 2unit hsc exams are at the same time, so theres no way you could sit both subjects in the same year

life92

HSC
that being said, at school if you go to the ones with high calibre students like selective schools, you're going to need to be able to finish papers and get out some of question 7 and 8 when it comes to trials if you ant a competitive internal rank. I mean our 90 cut-off for the 09 hsc paper was like 70/120 which is incredibly low.

Also, for hsc you got to be smart. They threw lots of weird things in our paper that threw me and probably a lot of the state off like not guiding you through an intergration that involves partial fractions. There were some easy marks in q7/8 that you need to take when you get doozies earlier on. So i disagree, you need to be able to do parts of questions 7 and 8 (which you probably did) if you want to get 90+. If you go into the exam with that mindset and you get an easier exam, you will def score a lot lower then you'd like.
70/120 IS incredibly low.
You don't even need question 7/8 to get that.
I mean, as a good 4U student, you should be able to get 1-5 of a HSC paper, VERY easily, which in itself is 15*5 marks = 75 marks.
So say the cutoff for 90 was in fact definitely 70/120, it means, it's actually not that very hard to get 90+ in the HSC.

That being said, if you are doing 4U and find questions 1-5 of HSC papers difficult, I'm sorry to be harsh but, I don't think you are a suitable student to be doing 4U.

Even though questions 7/8 are usually the most difficult parts of the paper, there seems to be a trend that the papers are getting much easier every year, and the tedious-ness of the questions isn't as bad as previous papers.

I found some of the older papers quite challenging, mainly some of the ones around 93-05, whilst the ones before that were easier and the more recent ones, fairly easy as well.

So that being said, I don't think you need to worry too much about the difficulty of 4U as long as you enjoy maths and can work for it.

Also, trial papers can no way be compared to the difficulty of the HSC, unless you go to Sydney Grammar where Bill Pender sets the exams and his questions 6,7,8 are sometimes ridiculously difficult and totally left field.
Most schools will set similar types of exams, and the questions 7/8 aren't really difficult at all.
(I believe I can say this considering the number of trial papers I have done :) )

Even this years paper wasn't too difficult because there was nothing that really challenged students.

Then again, I guess it's different for everyone, because for me, I LOVE MATHS :) and was heavily disappointed when I got 97 for 4U...

EDIT:Also, if you are going to a selective school with "high calibre students" generally everyone will be doing well, so getting a good rank, depending on the ability of the students in the school, wouldn't really separate the assessment marks.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)