How much harder is 4U maths than 3U? (1 Viewer)

Michigan

HSC
I'm in Yr 11 doing Extension 1 Maths, and I have to say it is really not bad at all. People who say it is hard are just really lazy to learn the concepts. Should I go for 4U in Year 12 if I find 3U fairly simple or is 4U just that much harder?

AAEldar

Premium Member
HSC
The difference between 4U and 3U is much bigger than the difference between 3U and 2U. That said, 4U is by no means impossible and if you make sure you do the work and follow in class, you should have no issues doing it if you're comfortable with 3U.

Try it out, and if you struggle with it you can always drop.

Hermes1

Banned
HSC
seriously you should definitely do 4 unit, if you find 3 unit easy.

4 unit makes 3 unit so much easier, i havent needed to study 3 unit at all this year bcuz all the algebraic techniques u pik up in 4 unit make 3 unit work easy. so if you do 4 unit, yes u will have to work hard bcuz it can get tough, but it will make 3 unit so much easier for you and it has epic scaling.

plus u get respect around the school if ppl no u do 4 unit

Michigan

HSC
I am getting 90+ in 3U tests most of the time, is that good enough?

Hermes1

Banned
HSC
I am getting 90+ in 3U tests most of the time, is that good enough?
yes definitely thats good enough. believe me even if you were getting like 65-70% i wouldve recommended 4 unit, bcuz it scales so epicly

Mature Lamb

wats goin on
HSC
Uni Grad
It is this much harder: |-----------------------------------------|

funnytomato

HSC
seriously you should definitely do 4 unit, if you find 3 unit easy.

4 unit makes 3 unit so much easier, i havent needed to study 3 unit at all this year bcuz all the algebraic techniques u pik up in 4 unit make 3 unit work easy. so if you do 4 unit, yes u will have to work hard bcuz it can get tough, but it will make 3 unit so much easier for you and it has epic scaling.

plus u get respect around the school if ppl no u do 4 unit
dunno how reliable that is ...

but if you're planning to study science/engineering at uni, 4u maths would definitely come in handy
even if you're not doing anything like these courses, from your marks in 3u , I'd say there's a good chance you'll be better off ,ATAR-wise

Michigan

HSC
How much work is 4 Unit? If I do it, will my other subjects suffer because of how much work 4 Unit is?

Mature Lamb

wats goin on
HSC
Uni Grad
How much work is 4 Unit? If I do it, will my other subjects suffer because of how much work 4 Unit is?
Depends on your school and yourself, but imo you should devote most of your study time to 4U unless you're awesome at maths.

K

khorne

lol...idk what the hell you guys are talking about. 4U isn't some major drain or anything...it's pretty easy. Apart from...harder 3U there's nothing really challenging in the course, it's merely an extension on some stuff you've done before.

HSC
lol...idk what the hell you guys are talking about. 4U isn't some major drain or anything...it's pretty easy. Apart from...harder 3U there's nothing really challenging in the course, it's merely an extension on some stuff you've done before.
This man speaks truth (listen to him)

kfnmpah

HSC
i did 3 unit, and now i'm at uni doing a mathematics degree and my first semester maths course wasn't even that difficult if you just did the work, and we pretty much did 4 unit stuff.
People get all riled up about complex numbers- trust me, it's NOT EVEN HARD. just remember i^2 is -1 and learn how to convert between the two forms (easy) and you'll be right. Not sure what else they do except for a bit more on volumes of solids using different methods of integration (also not hard). But seriously, i've spoken to people at uni about it and i regret not doing it. So, just do it and if you find it way too hard, just go back to 3 unit. But, i promise, if you find 3 unit fine, you can definitely do 4u.
Just make sure you do the work. If you go to class and do your homework, and more importantly understnad WHY you're doing something, not just remember how to do it, you'll breeze through.

Hermes1

Banned
HSC
i did 3 unit, and now i'm at uni doing a mathematics degree and my first semester maths course wasn't even that difficult if you just did the work, and we pretty much did 4 unit stuff.
People get all riled up about complex numbers- trust me, it's NOT EVEN HARD. just remember i^2 is -1 and learn how to convert between the two forms (easy) and you'll be right. Not sure what else they do except for a bit more on volumes of solids using different methods of integration (also not hard). But seriously, i've spoken to people at uni about it and i regret not doing it. So, just do it and if you find it way too hard, just go back to 3 unit. But, i promise, if you find 3 unit fine, you can definitely do 4u.
Just make sure you do the work. If you go to class and do your homework, and more importantly understnad WHY you're doing something, not just remember how to do it, you'll breeze through.
to be fair the topics you mention like complex and integration and volumes are the easier topics.
but OP you must do 4 unit if u love maths and by ur marks u clearly are good at it. so just do it i say.

michaeljennings

HSC
trust me, it's NOT EVEN HARD. just remember i^2 is -1 and learn how to convert between the two forms (easy) and you'll be right. Not sure what else they do except for a bit more on volumes of solids using different methods of integration (also not hard).
Good advice bro you make it sound like anyone could do 4u....BRB gonna tell my 5 year old brother that i^2 is -1 so that he can ace the trial exam i give him

michaeljennings

HSC
ahh hes not doing too well since he doesnt know anything about volumes, conics, polynomials, mechanics, curve sketching and integration but not to worry he will ace all the complex numbers questions cos he knows i^2 = -1.

Hermes1

Banned
HSC
i think it is important we dont scare the OP away from 4 unit. again reiterating OP you should 100 percent do 4U

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)