how much is a semester in uni? (1 Viewer)

leathaface

Commerce Double Major - full time study.

How much do you pay for semester (average)?

I just want to know for my friend.... she is going to uni next year (hopefully) and she wants to know... I need figures for... USYD, and UnsW

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
More than that. Is commerce band 1 or 2? If 2 expect to pay at least $6000 each year in HECS-HELP at the prestige unis, less if it's band 1 (about $3000).

Last edited:

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
It depends on the number of subjects you do. I think combined people generally do 5 subjects, so at say (just for a nice round figure) each subject is $500, it would be $2500/semester.

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
Don't forget to add in the cost of textbooks which can run anywhere from $200-$1500 per semester, then add in the compulsory student body fees of $80-$250 per semester.

HECS will most likely be the biggest single expense but it can be deferred.

bex

HSC
student fees are a killer! they are dertermined by the number of subjects you do.. and at my uni we pay per semester.. its like $64 per subject for us i think.. but at least that money goes back into the students and services for them like putting on good bar nights, getting bands to play, having special mens/womens/homosexual/breast cancer etc etc awareness weeks and running our student building.

Last edited:

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
bex said:
but at least that money goes back into the students and services for them like putting on good bar nights, getting bands to play, having special mens/womens/homosexual/breast cancer etc etc awareness weeks and running our student building.
And I use 0 of those facilities being external yet still have to pay them. Don't forget your fees also go to employing various people, making sure they have cars to use for "official business" and "team building" weekends.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
bex, not all uni's calculate general fees based on subjects....at newcastle, its only based on pt/ft...pt is ~$120ish a semester, ft is $173

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)