How much pressure do your parents put on you? (1 Viewer)

blackglitter

HSC
marcquelle said:
thats good pressure
Yeah it is, because I understand where they're coming from and what they're saying makes sense to me. I think parents should explain WHY exactly they're placing pressure on their kids more often - it's more understandable that way

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
blackglitter said:
Yeah it is, because I understand where they're coming from and what they're saying makes sense to me. I think parents should explain WHY exactly they're placing pressure on their kids more often - it's more understandable that way
yes it is

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
marcquelle said:
no offence but until recently, education in Asian countries has been low until the 80's and they just wish for their children to succeed. And i wish that parents everywhere see that the HSC is the end of ones life.
You probably misunderstood me, I never referred to the education of Asian countries at all. All I said was that Asian parents comparing their children against that of others was like some sort of trend, in much the same way that us teenagers have trends. I said it in a humorous manner and it wasn't meant to be a comment on the education of Asian countries.

Nevertheless, it is true that Asian parents in Australia like to compare their children as to see how they're doing - there's simply no denying it. Why do they do it? Simply because they've come from a hard life (conflicts, war, poverty and so forth) back in Asia, built themselves a good life from virtually nothing and expect their children to do the same. They expect them to take advantage of the chance to be able to get a good education, something they never had, and ensure that they can life comfortably by having a secure job.

Although the part where you said that 'education in Asian countries has been low until the 80's' was abit irrelevant, I'll agree that it's true. After the Cultural Revolution, there was a much larger emphasis on education. The country understandably wanted a larger place in the world and it saw a greater education for its citizens as the key. Combined with the continual, exponential increase in population, where you literally have to 'be the best' in order to succeed, it probably gave rise to this Asian expectation of having to do very well.

Also, why would you 'wish that parents everywhere see that the HSC is the end of ones life'?

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
i knew what you meant and i wasn't being derogatory or anything i'm saying that, that could be a possible reason why we are seeing a majority of that. And i agree with what you said.

And that wad a typo it should say
'wish that parents everywhere see that the HSC isn't the end of ones life'? lol my bad

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
marcquelle said:
i knew what you meant and i wasn't being derogatory or anything i'm saying that, that could be a possible reason why we are seeing a majority of that. And i agree with what you said.

And that wad a typo it should say
'wish that parents everywhere see that the HSC isn't the end of ones life'? lol my bad
Lol ok.

bored of sc

HSC
None at all. It's not their life, it's not their education, it's MINE!

blackglitter

HSC
JKhoury said:
There's always constant pressure on me from parents, however I've developed a blockout system which mentally selects what part of a converstation I'd like to internally process and what I'd like to prevent from entering my head.

End Result = Sanity intact.
haha, nice, so only pick out the semi-inspirational stuff and leave out all the 'you're not doing well enough' lectures?

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
JKhoury said:
There's always constant pressure on me from parents, however I've developed a blockout system which mentally selects what part of a converstation I'd like to internally process and what I'd like to prevent from entering my head.

JKhoury said:

LOL love that ability of selective hearing

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
They used to put me under heaps (back in Year 8/9), but, not so much anymore.

bawd

HSC
blackglitter said:
Since I'm hearing pretty terrible stories about how much some people are pressured, what do you guys think of overpressuring parents?

Personally, I can see how sometimes they think it's in your best interests, but I feel it's more de-motivating than inspirational. What do you guys think?
I agree to a certain extent on that, although I am no longer pressured by my parents to do well, and I have actually started to enjoy school.

I was in Guang Zhou with my relatives last Christmas Holidays and wow, my little cousin is like 12 but extremely pressured. He got 99% on a English competency test (which is very, very good because he doesn't speak English regularly), but his dad said something along the lines of, "You got 99%, which still means you have 1% that is not perfect. If you could get 99%, why didn't you get 100%?" :mad1:

I think over pressured students develop a 'Guilt complex' where they feel guilty if they don't do work, don't do well in tests etc and some may never feel 'adequate' because their parents are always reinforcing this.

However, on the other end of the spectrum, there will be students who use this pressure to push themselves up.

HSC
My dad really wants me to do well because I'm the last straw in the family and he's really clutching at it!

My brothers didn't do so well in their HSC so my dad is pretty much pinning all his hopes on me. :uhoh:

I guess it's a good thing though, because I wanna make him happy.

AWWWWWW

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
Explosions Hurt said:
My dad really wants me to do well because I'm the last straw in the family and he's really clutching at it!

My brothers didn't do so well in their HSC so my dad is pretty much pinning all his hopes on me. :uhoh:

I guess it's a good thing though, because I wanna make him happy.

AWWWWWW
ahhhhhhhhhhhhh thats nice, but does he sit there and tell you do stuff or say you have to do better etc. or is just gentle pressure, such as i know you can do better, or as long as you are content in what you are doing, do it well...

as examples?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)