• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

how much should I be writing in 40 mins?! (1 Viewer)

barbernator

HSC
Unless you are absolutely amazing (by which I mean, out of this world), you really do need to write more than 3.5 pages to make a coherent and credible argument with your essay.
well this is just wrong. I can never write more than 3.5 pages and i write 1000 word essays.

HSC
Uni Grad
The biggest advantage to your writing in SIZE. Make your writing BIG. As long as its BIG for all the old teachers to read, it does not matter if it is messy. My friend (who topped 3 subjects last year and came 3rd in EngX2) has the worst handwriting, it is literally a scrawl, but it is BIG!!!!

honeycomb

HSC
Thanks for all the replies everyone!
Guess I'll start writing away.... I do have a bad habit of typing essays and thinking I can write everything!
Haha I'll start writing bigger as well... give my writing some protein ;)
:)

scarvesss

howdy doo
HSC
my english essays tend to reach 3-4 pages and i have done reasonably well in all of them thus far. it depends mainly on handwriting size. i usually avg about 9-10 words a line x 30 lines x 3-4pages = 900+ words.

but also one of my mates that is very equal to me will write >9 pages for each essay and get the same marks

NajaKaja

HSC
The last time I actually finished an essay was in year 9. I really need more practice :S

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
How many pages/words are usually expected for Band 6 responses in HSIE subjects like business studies and economics? My eco teacher recommended 5-6 pages for an essay within a 35 minute time period for our prelim exam, i only managed 3 1/2. For HSC she expects 10-12 pages for each extended response, is this common?

deswa1

HSC
How many pages/words are usually expected for Band 6 responses in HSIE subjects like business studies and economics? My eco teacher recommended 5-6 pages for an essay within a 35 minute time period for our prelim exam, i only managed 3 1/2. For HSC she expects 10-12 pages for each extended response, is this common?
Yeah 10 pages for HSC would probs be what's required to get full marks- you could get B6 with a bit less. Note that HSC exam booklets have massive spacing etc. so there's less words to a page than you might be used to

HSC2014

HSC
N/A
My last creative writing task was 40 mins and I wrote 1.1k (with pauses in between for some thinking). Main point is that it was only 2.5 pages. I don't know how on earth you guys reach 4+ LOL.. must have insane font size

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)