How Much Study in the Holidays? (1 Viewer)

Katsumi

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
HSC
N/A
Weekends: ~ 10 + Hours

Weekdays: ~ >12 Hours
I did something very similar to this leading up to trials and definitely advise against it. You will find that your study will become increasingly unproductive as the days go on, you'll loose a lot of sleep and become a general wreck by the time your exams begin (leading to poor performance within the exams themselves). Honestly, without the aid of study drugs (which i also highly advise against) I couldn't see any normal teenager keeping an eat, sleep, study routine for over a fortnight without crashing. As opposed to smashing out 10-12 consecutive hours of study, space your study out, take regular breaks and look after yourself. You will be surprised how much more productive and sustainable you are in the long run and will avoid risking your health in order to study.

It goes without saying that 12-14 hour study days can have their benefits, but only when done in moderation. And believe me when i say this, you don't want to learn this the hard way.

So yeah, study smart and look after yourselves. GL for your trials.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Tasks completed are more important then hours completed.

teridax

HSC
N/A
aw, you do almost all the same subject as me except I had physics instead of bio! A rough guideline for prep that would be beneficial before trials during these holidays (this was my personal PLAN, I don't think I actually adhered to it 100%, only did about 80% of it tbh. but your goals and needs and methods of study will be different, so customise it based on that)

Eng Adv: one essay every day, alternate modules i.e. Monday- Mod A, Tuesday- Mod B, Wed- Mod C, Thurs- Belonging (discovery for you) essay, Friday- AOS creative, Saturday- practice Section 1 AOS. After writing each essay in 40 minute blocks, consider what could have been incorporated instead, what worked well, what didn't etc. Go back to quotes and memorise relevant analysis which would have been useful. Sunday is rest day/day to revise quotes+ techniques

Chem: memorise (again, hopefully) Production of Materials + The Acidic Environment thoroughly, and complete past hsc papers and trial papers. Know how to do calculations and look at marking guidelines. My school did our elective before Chemical Monitoring and Management and I was behind on notes for that so I made those + memorised them + did past papers for that too as trials prep

Maths: papers time-- days of textbook are gone (except for recent topics I guess). Sticking to own school trials + harder school trials + HSC questions mainly (I left CSSA papers for hsc personally). Did a lot of questions indivdiually as opposed to sitting through a full 3 hr exam (I think I only practiced one full 3 hour exam but that's something which you can probably benefit more from). Any commonly made errors should be consolidated with textbook e.g. Fitzpatrick or Cambridge

3u Maths: same as 2u, but it helped to go topic by topic. And revision of prelim too!

PD/H/PE: make notes. memorise syllabus. do practice questions. prepare to bullshit like a boss (legit a life skill)

Good luck :)

p.s. measure the amount of study you do by the tasks you complete, not the hours you put into completing the tasks.
fully agree with this post, except i just wanna point something regarding the bolded

if you're like harrypotterfan who can wreck any essay Q, then adhere to this method of continual method of practising essays on the spot with quotes and techniques in your mind. if, however, you are constrained with time (because let's face it - who actually manages to remain stringent on writing an essay per day considering you have other subjects to worry about) or just not naturally talented with writing, then i encourage you to just collate thematic paragraphs or create full generic essays and try to mentally adapt your scaffolds (change intro, conclusion, opening and closing sentences of body paras and textual analysis every now and then). yes, you obviously have to answer the question, but if your material uses the key words from the rubric, there shouldn't be a problem so as long as you master adapting, it shouldn't be too difficult

it's a risky method, but it has served the majority of students undertaking HSC English well - but it doesn't mean the quotes and techniques method should be ignored either, tbh

really, it depends on the person

Last edited:

EarthSci34

Good grief.
HSC
I'm just going to study hard these holidays, but I've created a study plan which incorporates 2 subjects per day, one of which is English Adv so my essay skills can be down to pat and another subject.

TBH pretty stressed rn because when I get back to school, on the first week back my 50% EX2 assessment is due and Filipino Speaking trials are on ><

Occupied

HSC
N/A
There's no way I'm physically writing anything haha. Like notes, they don't need to be written with a pen.
i c
i meant cutting them out/ working out how to print on tiny paper double side, not losing ur beautiful cards and so on as well tho :p

shit writing ftw haha

Chris_S

HSC
All my notes and homework are done! Past paper city here I come :)

mandog97

HSC
That's really extreme bro...

If you really had no problems with procrastination, you wouldn't have simply just disregarded those things - lots of people still go on fb and play xbox and do fine. So going by that logic, it's likely that you'll burn out; I highly disagree with anyone who thinks that 12+ hours of study is manageable - consider the law of diminishing returns if you will.

If you insist on pursuing that routine for the holidays as prep for trials, then cool I respect that. But if it was me, I personally wouldn't do it.

Life in year 12 isn't about making big sacrifices just purely for the HSC mate, you still have opportunities to enjoy yourself.
So relevant. Nailed it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)