How much to write in 40 minutes? (The 3 Modules Essays) (1 Viewer)

kelly29930684

HSC
Hi, as trial is next week and english is the first exam... I'm very screwed
I've been practicing on writing essays by randomly finding a question and just write under exam condition within 40 minutes.
I find it super difficult to write a 'FULL' essay (1 intro, 3 body paragraphs, 1 conclusion) in time.
One of my friend advised me to write 1 intro, 2 body paragraphs and 1 conclusion and that allows me to finish 'just in time'
Also, if 1 essay for 40 minutes, then 'planning' before writing will take 5 minutes, doesn't it means 35 minutes left for writing??
WHAT CAN I DO I OVERCOME THIS ISSUE? I'm a slow writer and this is super difficult.:cry::cry::cry: Please advice??

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Maybe try memorising an adaptable essay and spend less than five minutes on planning?

And maybe try regularly handwriting to improve speed over the coming months.

Last edited:

DatAtarLyfe

Booty Connoisseur
HSC
One thing you should definitely do is learn to mental plan i.e. Prepare your thesis during the reading time in your head and so as soon as the 40 min begins, you can immediately start writing.
Also change pens to a smooth ballpoint. I use papermate inkjoy and i higly recommend.
Other than that, just keep writing until your arm falls off [emoji23]

kelly29930684

HSC
Maybe try memorising an adaptable essay and spend less than five minutes on planning?

And maybe try regularly handwriting to improve speed over the coming months.
So you suggest memorise the whole essay? But there are three essays in the modules... and 1 essay of discovery... That's heaps to memorise. Now i'm only trying to memorise quotes but it takes time to put together during the exam

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Yeah, English is a lot to memorise if you take the memorisation route (which many people do, I think). It can really help improve speed though if the essays/creative have been properly memorised.

Last edited:

DonnaN

HSC
N/A
I guess you friend's advice isn't bad. If I were you I'd rather write smth decent and complete. So that you'd be on time with your essay.
Anyway, try to practice it at least a couple of times. Good luck!

kelly29930684

HSC
I guess you friend's advice isn't bad. If I were you I'd rather write smth decent and complete. So that you'd be on time with your essay.
Anyway, try to practice it at least a couple of times. Good luck!
Yeah so after listening to my friend's advice, there is an in-class practice where the whole class had to do within 40 minutes. I actually did finish within 40 minutes and I did only 2 body paragraphs, 4 in total. My teacher gave me a mark 17/20. But he still commented that I should write a 'contrast' paragraph. I think I have to at least spend another 5-8 minutes to write a small paragraph so I have to improve on my writing speed

DonnaN

HSC
N/A
Yeah so after listening to my friend's advice, there is an in-class practice where the whole class had to do within 40 minutes. I actually did finish within 40 minutes and I did only 2 body paragraphs, 4 in total. My teacher gave me a mark 17/20. But he still commented that I should write a 'contrast' paragraph. I think I have to at least spend another 5-8 minutes to write a small paragraph so I have to improve on my writing speed
Still a great mark :)

kelly29930684

HSC
Hey Kelly, for the essay that you got 17/18, how did you structure the two bodies? Was it one body prescribed text and one body related?
Well, its 17/20... I structured it as for each paragraph, I said that they are similar for both of the paragraphs. Or another better option, to do first body that includes 2 texts, stating similarities, then the second body compare the differences between 2 texts. In this way perhaps both similarities and differences are both identified??

Martin_SSEDU

HSC
do some practice runs, you just need to try your best to handle timed conditions. If you find that no matter what you do you still can't finish a full essay in 40 minutes just decrease the word count to about 600-700.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)