How much u wrote and wat mark u expect ? (1 Viewer)

sideshowtim

HSC
Atticus Ryan said:
Your comments are insightful. I agree with you to some extent - certainly there are cases wherein writing 20 or so pages is acceptable, as you say if one's creative writing piece was very abstract and contained novel formatting etc.

However I still think that many people in HSC exams and in English in particular, write excessively. The goal of English exams in many peoples' eyes, it seems, is to write as much as humanly possible, in an attempt to show that one really does know a large amount of stuff.

I think this is wrong. In my eyes, the goal of an English exam is to answer the questions provided. It is no good going into an exam and spewing out shit that you have learnt. You have to write an intelligent, critical and analytical response to a question. If you are writing 16 pages for an essay, you are not doing that, I don't care what anyone says.

How about people stop coming on the Internet and telling us all how many pages they wrote? Maybe your mothers care. I don't care. If you wrote sixteen pages, there is something wrong with your answer and you know it.
well hay thur

passion89

HSC
Atticus Ryan said:
explain to me how they achieved similar goals by writing 16 pages in an essay as opposed to 6. Please, someone tell me how.

As for crazedmo2003, of course quantity matters to some degree. 2500-3000 words is OK. I am talking about idiot people who claim to write 30-50 pages in this exam. I am more than happy to pit my UAI against those who write huge amounts in English exams. My confidence and "superior mental prowess" stems from the fact that I am in fact more intelligent and knowledgeable than most of you on this board. The day that people like Talnoy are able to come back and laugh in my face is the same day that people like sando begin to be able to recognise sarcasm on the Internet. It's a pretty tricky skill, so I am confident that that day will never come. Suck my balls.
Ok. First of all I don't not agree with you with some of the things you have said. It's true that many band 6's are given out to those that wrote in a clear and concise manner. However, it is also true that some people who wrote 2 booklets recieved band 6's as well.

You can't justifiably argue that people who write in excess of 15 pages necessarily waffle. Font size counts for a lot in these exams.
My handwriting is miniscule (especially when I write fast) and I wrote a full booklet for the essay. From what I could tell, the average number of words I wrote was about 1600. And then you have the member, Module B who wrote a hefty 11 pages yet a total of around 1000 words.

It doesn't matter how many pages people wrote so stop arguing.
Honestly who cares if some retard wrote a total of 55 pages in the exam? And who cares if another retard wrote 2?

sideshowtim

HSC
Atticus Ryan said:
How many pages did you write Tim.
Section 1: 4 pages (some people writing 10+ pages for this section...give me a break you can't write that much without waffling)
Section 2: 4.5 pages
Section 3: 6 pages

I have sorta small handwriting. I think I got my point across fairly well in each section. I don't think you can write a brilliant well thought out essay filling 2 booklets within 40 minutes. I just don't think it's possible

Atticus Ryan

beachbabe123
HSC
passion89 said:
Ok. First of all I don't not agree with you with some of the things you have said. It's true that many band 6's are given out to those that wrote in a clear and concise manner. However, it is also true that some people who wrote 2 booklets recieved band 6's as well.

You can't justifiably argue that people who write in excess of 15 pages necessarily waffle. Font size counts for a lot in these exams.
My handwriting is miniscule (especially when I write fast) and I wrote a full booklet for the essay. From what I could tell, the average number of words I wrote was about 1600. And then you have the member, Module B who wrote a hefty 11 pages yet a total of around 1000 words.

It doesn't matter how many pages people wrote so stop arguing.
Honestly who cares if some retard wrote a total of 55 pages in the exam? And who cares if another retard wrote 2?
Yes but this doesn't mean I don't hate them for coming on the Internet and bragging about how many pages they wrote. It is because of people like this that there is war in the middle east. Anyone who brags about their page count needs a huge kick in the balls so they cannot have children. The women can be kicked in their wombs.

crazedmo2003

HSC
Guys, HSC is not the pinnacle of academia. At such a low level, everything is possible.

My friend from Ruse '05 wrote around 1400 words. I can't remeber her writing size but if you have large writing or spacing, this will go to almost 16 pages. Her UAI was 99.95.

And she's not the fastest writer I know.

Of course I also know people whose essay's average size is 800-900 words and they completely own the exam. It happens.

The standard student packages are just that, standard student packages. Even if they showed a band 6 responce, they would need to show one that normal students can achieve to. For example, most of the creative writing were of a linear nature, very few had crazy postmodern techniques or expertly woven poetic language that would make most kids scream out in terror. Similarly, the standard package responces won't be 16 pages long. But band 6 answers of such length I am sure, do exist.

Once again, let's all repeat:

Assuming makes an ass out of u and some other guy called Ming.

michaeln36

HSC
Atticus Ryan said:
You are wrong.

You are what is wrong with the world and with society.

Writing 12 pages of "good" material is NOT more likely to get high marks. Writing 12 pages of anything suggests you are not thinking at all and are merely churning out pre-prepared answers, which is NOT what the Board of Studies is looking for. They are looking for responses that are intelligent and that show a great deal of synthesis of knowledge in responding to a specific question.

I would like you to show me a Band 5/6 response that is over 10 pages. I guarantee they do not exist.

I hate you and everything you stand for.

By the way, I am happy to tell you all what I wrote.

For the first section, I wrote 3.5 pages. I answered questions succinctly and well, without waffling or generalising, and I kept to the point.

For the second section, I wrote 4 pages, having written a story that was NOT pre-prepared (as the highly specific stimulus was obviously trying to prevent students from churning out responses they had already written), and which responded to the stimulus and took into account what the syllabus asks you to do. Maybe all you fucking idiots should read the syllabus at some point.

For my essay, I wrote 6 pages. My essay was well-written and contained insightful ideas and stuck to the specific question thhe entire time. I did not waffle. I did not go off-topic. I answered the question.

Please let's all come back here in 2 months and see how we all did in English. I guarantee that fucking tool who wrote 44 pages does not do any better than someone who wrote 14 or 15.
Your an idiot. You wrongly assume that anyone writing over 8 pages is writing waffle. This is not the case. I do not write waffle, i do exactly what an intelligent person would do for english, i just do MORE of it. More pages doesnt lower the quality, usually the people who write alot are just writing MORE of the same HIGH QUALITY.
Your logic is something along these lines: Any response containing more than 8 pages is waffle, is unstructured, and unintelligent. Great logic -- i see a high UAI coming your way.

You assure me that band 5/6 responses of over 10 pages do not exist.
My school handed out a sample response from the BOARD OF STUDIES booklet on various ranged responses.

2004 HSC student answers - Paper 1 - section III - High-range sample answer Question 4:
14 pages

(i do remember reading other exemplar responses of about 12-15 pages - although i cant provide specifics like the one above, since i dont have them with me).

OWNED. Your whole argument is thus rendered invalid, as you could "guarentee" me such a thing doesnt exist.

My credentials?
Internal HSC Rank =1/152 in english (advanced) at a top 25 selective high school
SC mark of 97 in english (i realise the SC doesnt mean much)

In short, you are a sour jealous bastard. You make up for your inadequacies by KNOWING that EVERYONE who wrote over 10 pages wrote nothing but waffle for those 10+ pages. You can't accept that people can write the SAME QUALITY (or greater :p) than you for MORE PAGES than you. Like me.
And yes, i would LOVE to compare our english marks at the end, as well as UAI's.

I hate you and everything you stand for
err what do i stand for? Using evidence to back up a correct opinion? Disagreeing with the almighty 'Atticus Ryan'? Writing more than 10 pages for an essay?

Get a life. Realise that good responses can contain more than 8 pages.

EDIT 1: To clarify, i am in no way saying that u cannot get a band 6 with less pages. I KNOW that a 5 page essay can get in the A range. I am just saying that a 10+ page essay can also... and has a higher chance of getting there

EDIT 2:
It is so obvious that Atticus Ryan is just jealous, read his post:
Yes but this doesn't mean I don't hate them for coming on the Internet and bragging about how many pages they wrote. It is because of people like this that there is war in the middle east. Anyone who brags about their page count needs a huge kick in the balls so they cannot have children. The women can be kicked in their wombs.
Atticus - if u didnt want to see people say how many pages they wrote, dont click on a topic called "how much u wrote and wat mark u expect" -- IDIOT.
Atticus also advocates violence against people who wrote more pages than him. See how he uses the word "bragging" - he assumes anyone who says they wrote 10 pages is "bragging" rather than just telling a fact -- This choice of words illuminates that Atticus actually realises that those people are better than him, since they wouldn't have anything to "brag" about if a 6 page response such as his was better. !

Last edited:

Atticus Ryan

beachbabe123
HSC
some douchebag said:
More pages doesnt lower the quality, usually the people who write alot are just writing MORE of the same HIGH QUALITY.
This may sometimes be the case but most of the time it is not. It is common sense to assume that if you are writing non-stop for such a long-time, you are not giving your response the diligence and consideration it deserves.

same douchebag said:
2004 HSC student answers - Paper 1 - section III - High-range sample answer Question 4:
14 pages
If this is so, this sample response would have been written with large handwriting, and would have been the Band 5, not Band 6 example. The Board of Studies syllabus stipulates that essays are to be about 1000 words. Of course this is give or take a little - anything up to about 1500 can be fine. But you are certainly pushing it if you are writing too much. Markers look for succinctity, consiseness, clarity of expression and insight. You would have to incredibly amazing at English to keep these four things up for that long. Maybe this person was, but people on this board can hardly keep it up for a three-line post.

The Master of HSC English said:
OWNED. Your whole argument is thus rendered invalid, as you could "guarentee" me such a thing doesnt exist.

My credentials?
HSC Rank =1/152 in english (advanced) at a top 25 selective high school
SC mark of 97 in english (i realise the SC doesnt mean much)
Owned does not quite do justice to my situation. I am in awe of you. If you were here right now I would do anything to spend hours listening to you recite poetry. You are a God among men, a Prince among thieves. You ooze excellence.

My argument is not rendered invalid. Your comments do not 'guarentee' anything. You presented some evidence for the argument against me, for the first time in this argument, and I am countering your evidence. Just because you have chimed in spewing your awe-inducing incredibleness into this thread does not mean you win the argument.

english master strikes again said:
In short, you are a sour jealous bastard. You make up for your inadequacies by KNOWING that EVERYONE who wrote over 10 pages wrote nothing but waffle for those 10+ pages. You can't accept that people can write the SAME QUALITY (or greater :p) than you for MORE PAGES than you. Like me.
And yes, i would LOVE to compare our english marks at the end, as well as UAI's.

err what do i stand for? Using evidence to back up a correct opinion? Disagreeing with the almighty 'Atticus Ryan'? Writing more than 10 pages for an essay?

Get a life. Realise that good responses can contain more than 8 pages.
Your Psych-101isms are entirely correct. You have summed up my pesonal insecurities and made a sound judgement of my character. I should have thought about who I was dealing with before I started arguing on this board - I completely forgot there were trained psychologists and people who come first in English here. How about on the 20th of December, we both come back to this board and post our English marks. If you beat me, I will gladly let you suck my dick.

crazedmo2003

HSC
*GASP*

Lies! Boys can't be ranked 1st at English!! ...Not even in a boy's school!!

Our handwriting isn't pretty enough!!!

ARGH!!! MY PERCEPTION OF REALITY IS TURNED UPSIDE DOWN!!! NO!!!!

(Runs screaming into the distance)

H.A.L.

HSC
My friend fot 9/15 for writing only half a page for the creative piece in the trial, it included the marker's comment, 'What a pity you couldn't finish.'

The story outlined nothing other than the setting. Basically proved the assumption that markers are spastics.

Uni

God made me cool
HSC
bahahaha crazedemo you're a funny kid

can we please stop bloody arguing about this? it is, quite frankly, a pathetic "my internet penis is bigger than yours" contest and it's becoming very fvcking tiring. save your arguments for the exam.

Uni/.

Last edited:

hello_world

HSC
sando said:
first i did the creative writing story as i memorised my story. i wrote 10 pages with fairly big writing. i didnt really talk about any discovery. but my story was quite good i believe.. 12/15

then i did the essay. memorised robert frost, skrzynecki but had to make up the related texts.. managed a whopping 12 pages in 50min.. made some good reference to the question.. hopefully 12/15

left comprehension to last.. about 30min to spare.. looked at each text once. rushed through the questions. about 6 pages all up. 2.5 for the 5marker.. expect about 9/15 or if marked harshly even worse.. oh well

share ur opinions...
Wow you have low expectations for marks, because it sounds like you wrote quite a bit! Myabe I should lower mine too...

Section 1- 6, might have been 7 pages
Section 2- 7 pages
Section 3- 5 pages :( :( was so short of time that I only wrote ONE paragraph about my stimulus text

Section 1 im expecting about 14
Section 2- 13-14
Section 3- 11-12

crazedmo2003

HSC
Sleiphnir said:
Haha it's hardly being retarded - it's being smart enough to use the system to your advantage. Playing the game - and if the result is a better UAI then I have no qualms about using the provisions. Life isn't fair - so why should the HSC be. And having a medical condition isn't 'being retarded' - it's a legitimate reason.

If you weren't smart enough to be able to use the HSC system to your advantage - don't attempt to bring down those who were. It's just lame and pathetic.

Sorry boys and girls, I know this was from 7 pages ago but I only started readin now, and in case this douchebag is still reading I'd like to just say this.

So if I were to come over to your house during the night, rig your house with explosives and blow your house up, incinerating you and your family in a ball of flame, thus removing you as a HSC competitor, you'd be cool with that right? If I took advantage of hypothetical loopholes within our legal system?

I mean if you think about it, it'd be rather funny right? I'd all throw up my hands and go:

"Hey man, look, she agrees to special provision, I killed her and her extended family in cold blood, but whose to say in this ZANY SHADES OF GREY world whose right and whose wrong? And if the surviving orphan moans, well HE should just go and GET A LIFE instead of being so pathetic!"

Am I right kids?

Exploiting loopholes to put others at a disadvantage is never forgiveable, people like you are a dangerous fringe group. You know it's wrong but you don't care. For you the ends justify the means right?

Communism, the holocaust, state oppression, violent revolution, they always start with this mentality.

Module B

HSC
N/A
In short, Atticus Ryan is a moron who thinks his way of doing things is the only correct one. He quite clearly said there are no such things as Band 5/6's that go over 10 pages in length, before changing his argument after the more intelligent people of the board corrected him and called him out on the fool he is.

But let's not be too harsh on the bloke. He probably goes to a non-government school out in Dubbo's Gordon Estate and after getting the highest mark on a test normally given to measure the intelligence or mental functioning of a child with Down Syndrome, thought he was much more intelligent than he really is.

crazedmo2003

HSC
Uni said:
"my internet penis is bigger than yours"
Uni/.
Oh yeah? Well MY internet penis is SO BIG that it takes TWO days to $#@%.

First day: Set up base camp at point A...

PS. Also my name is crazedmo, I wanted to put crazedmongoose2003 which is my web alias but there's not enough space. I'm really not too fond of emos....

Last edited:

passion89

HSC
H.A.L. said:
My friend fot 9/15 for writing only half a page for the creative piece in the trial, it included the marker's comment, 'What a pity you couldn't finish.'

The story outlined nothing other than the setting. Basically proved the assumption that markers are spastics.
9/15??? Jesus, that setting must have been some quality stuff.

Atticus Ryan

beachbabe123
HSC
Module B said:
In short, Atticus Ryan is a moron who thinks his way of doing things is the only correct one. He quite clearly said there are no such things as Band 5/6's that go over 10 pages in length, before changing his argument after the more intelligent people of the board corrected him and called him out on the fool he is.

But let's not be too harsh on the bloke. He probably goes to a non-government school out in Dubbo's Gordon Estate and after getting the highest mark on a test normally given to measure the intelligence or mental functioning of a child with Down Syndrome, thought he was much more intelligent than he really is.
I have not changed my argument. Let's all think way back to page 9 where I gave my argument exactly, just so people like you wouldn't get confused.

It is not necessary to write ridiculously large amounts in an exam to get a good mark. In fact, it will be detrimental to your mark as it is impossible to sustain a coherent and high-level argument if you are writing constantly without time to think.

It is not necessary to write ridiculously large amounts in an exam to get a good mark. In fact, it will be detrimental to your mark as it is impossible to sustain a coherent and high-level argument if you are writing constantly without time to think.

DO YOU UNDERSTAND?

I seem to be the only person in this thread actually arguing something. Also I seem to be the only one with decent Sentence Construction Skills. They're much better than the guy who came first in English - perhaps he attended your Dubbo school. Learn to conjugate verbs and use punctuation you assholes. And it's Down's Syndrome, not Down Syndrome. Dick.

Last edited:

michaeln36

HSC
No atticus, you can write more and have it at a high level of quality. You just have to be PREPARED, i walk into the exam highly prepared, and thus can write alot of high quality, with good structure, and without waffling.

If this is so, this sample response would have been written with large handwriting
JUST FOR YOU; to show that YOU LIES i counted the words on the first 2 pages of the 14 page sample answer:
page 1: 119
page 2: 125
extrapolate that to get: 1708 words.
And no, it is not a band 5/6 response. It is band 6. THe use of the term "high range" in the BOS books means this.

My argument is not rendered invalid.
yes it is. You said a long (10+ pages) band 6 repsonse doesnt exist, and the BOS wouldn't publish one, since they dont like it. The existence of this response COMPLETELY AND UTTERLY DECIMATES YOUR ARGUEMENT. It is rendered invalid, and you are a laughing stock.

You are such a self centred little bastard to assume that everyone who writes more than you will fail.

EVERYONE WHO AGREES WITH ATTICUS THAT "anyone who writes over 10 pages cannot get a band 6" POST HERE--- im sure no one (except jealous little shits like yourself) will not agree with you.

Shutup ur wrong, You know your wrong, everyone who has listened to this debate and commented knows your wrong.

Atticus Ryan

beachbabe123
HSC
Micheal N of Caringbah said:
No atticus, you can write more and have it at a high level of quality. You just have to be PREPARED, i walk into the exam highly prepared, and thus can write alot of high quality, with good structure, and without waffling.

JUST FOR YOU; to show that YOU LIES i counted the words on the first 2 pages of the 14 page sample answer:
page 1: 119
page 2: 125
extrapolate that to get: 1708 words.
And no, it is not a band 5/6 response. It is band 6. THe use of the term "high range" in the BOS books means this.

yes it is. You said a long (10+ pages) band 6 repsonse doesnt exist, and the BOS wouldn't publish one, since they dont like it. The existence of this response COMPLETELY AND UTTERLY DECIMATES YOUR ARGUEMENT. It is rendered invalid, and you are a laughing stock.

You are such a self centred little bastard to assume that everyone who writes more than you will fail.

EVERYONE WHO AGREES WITH ATTICUS THAT "anyone who writes over 10 pages cannot get a band 6" POST HERE--- im sure no one (except jealous little shits like yourself) will not agree with you.

Shutup ur wrong, You know your wrong, everyone who has listened to this debate and commented knows your wrong.
4.8 words per line is large handwriting. I am talking about people who brag about writing 16 or even 19 pages and even make a special point to say their handwriting is super small.

Of course some people can manage to write a large amount without waffling, but most cannot. It is something that demonstrates to the Board of Studies that you are regurgitating a prepared response. Perhaps in the year from which you take your sample response, the person's prepared response fit the question well and he was able to write it without much alteration and thought. This is not always the case. My argument is not decimated, you have merely provided evidence against it which I am refuting. I have also provided evidence which you have failed to refute.

You stupid piece of shit, I DID NOT SAY that ANYONE who writes 10+ pages CANNOT get a band 6. You are demonstrating poor comprehension skills. HERE IS MY ARGUMENT AGAIN.

DO YOU UNDERSTAND, MICHAEL N OF CARINGBAH?

Oh how jealous of you I am, Micheal N of Caringbah. You are a skilled wordsmith, a talented debater, and altogether a fantastic guy. Teach me how to be like you so I stop being such a jealous little shit.

michaeln36

HSC
Module B summed it up best:

Atticus is funny, he said:
Also I seem to be the only one with decent Sentence Construction Skills. They're much better than the guy who came first in English - perhaps he attended your Dubbo school.
I put that i came first in a TOP 25 selective high school

AND STOP LIEING U BASTARD. YOu did say a band 6 response of over 10 pages doesnt exist
AND I QUOTE FROM THE 8th page
I would like you to show me a Band 5/6 response that is over 10 pages. I guarantee they do not exist.
Then, as module B and others pointed out, u changed your arguement NUMEROUS times as each of your positions was found the be completely stupid.... im waiting for it to happen again.

EDIT: HE IS CHANGING HIS POSITION AGAIN
4.8 words per line is large handwriting. I am talking about people who brag about writing 16 or even 19 pages and even make a special point to say their handwriting is super small.
the response i provided as evidence had 7.35 words per line - thats not large. Either u cant do math or u dont know how many lies are in a page (17 or 18). You say you are talking bout peopel who write "16 or 19" pages, yet in previous page you said that anyone who used more than an 8 paged examination book was a retard who couldnt keep structure etc.

please - stop changing your position every time one gets defeated... u keep going to an equally indefensible position. You've held about 5 opinions over 3 pages now.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)