• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

How much work have you done so far for your PROCESS DIARY? (1 Viewer)

snakeoils

Why do I have this?
HSC
don't worry ollz, aside from the printing, 4 unit periods usually end up being a complete waste of time... from my experience (ok, so we're not the hardest workers) we just all sit around and chat, and surf the web and drink cups of soup :D mmm...soup.

Ollz San

D.E.B
HSC
Ah...the good ol' days at school. :D
no teachers are taking care of us at tafe ;) definitely more freedom and independence but you gotta miss teachers' interference sometimes...

man, I'd rather work like hell on my journals right now rather than attending the actual major work.
My brain is probably in a coma right now, can't inspire myself.
I end up with a blank page so many times...:(

miguel_fugdey

In The Closet (the broom closet, not the gay close
haha just write about whatever's on your mind...then edit edit edit, give it to someone else to edit, then edit again...and it'll turn into something good, hopefully!...i hate journal, waste of time...was fun to start though - this far into my hsc, im beginning torealise i cant waste time (but im here anyway)

pranks85

I did a majorwork for Ag. last year, and I let my process diary get really behind, so I kinda learnt from that experience....

It's actually quite useful for sorting out ideas and making decisions - for example, I had the hardest time trying to make a decision on one of my characters, but somehow, it was easier in print.

Miguel, nice theory :)
I've been editing constantly for the past term now - you know how sometimes you just get creative bursts, and you've just got to write? Unfortunately, mine usually come to me before another assessment is due :(

Huy

HSC
N/A
well, i started using a normal exercise book,
but it got a little messy (my handwriting fluctuates between neat and messy)

so i started afresh,
it's going smoothly
i've got a stack of things (useless! HEHE)
such as the syllabus and my highlighting
writing key terms,
jotting down ideas and quotes/lines to be used

analysing various poems (im doing poetry)

and ... what else,
i've got screenshots of websites that have been an influence on myself.

all up? i'd say 20-30 pages so far
it's not bad, but most of it is reflective and focusing on the outcomes being assessed and how i'll go about achieving them.

Emmie

Journal!! my best friend. not.

Hmmmm I kind of have a love-hate relationship with my journal.
When i'm bored I sometimes write and glue crap into it, but I hadn't touched it for a month untill this arvo.
It's got reviews of all the books and movies i've watched as 'research', and some photos, mind maps..... stickers. Thought. Ideas.
It's a pain in the arse.... but i'd be devastated if anything were to befall it!!! it's got my number and address on front cover... just in case he (yes he) gets lost.

snakeoils

Why do I have this?
HSC
ive got stuff lying around my life... just i havent put any of it in my diary yet

Huy

HSC
N/A
aren't you supposed to put your:

student number
center number
medium (print, sound, etc)

so it'll be looked at in august?

hhehehe
mine has a bunch of stuff in there now
i've "researched" heaps
it's all unrelated
but they're inspirational

i've got about 10 pages of motivational/life/inspirational famous sayings and quotations now... done a bit of copyin/pasting and highlighting

basically me crapping on :D

oooh i like the mind map idea ;)
does anyone know the official rule about not including teacher/other student's names etc? i couldn't find it in the syllabus, but have been referring to them as 'mrs 123' and 'student 1 and 2' anyways...
oh and about talking about losing the journal... i nearly died when i almost left in the wesley centre at one of those eta seminars... oh the irony!!

Huy

HSC
N/A
no idea about the names thing,
but i think there's a rule about mentioning names?

i've just written "my english ext2 teacher"

but i haven't been up to the point of giving my work out to be critqued, but even then, i might just write a note in the diary saying "gave my work out to a friend, he/she suggested i ..."

without giving away "first name, last name" or "mr surname"

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
I just write 'my teacher' for my class teacher but for other teachers I refer to I write their first names. Same with other kids I use first names just no last names.

Huy

HSC
N/A
lol why didn't i think of that earlier?

i should have used first names, instead of things like:

'gave my work to a friend'
'had a friend look over my poems'
'sir and i had a consultation'

and so on and so fourth.

i'll have to write that one down:
'use first names only'

thanks! :)

malayz_angel

Yeah I heard the no-names thing too...so i've pretty much been saying"my teacher" or "the librarian"... i can't mention my friends though cos most of them find english dead boring and cant understand why i would want to do 4 unit! I try to explain its all just expressing creativity. i love doing the subject when i'm inspired and everything flows but then I look at all the empty spaces in my journal and think"i can't understand why i'm doing it either."

snakeoils

Why do I have this?
HSC
yeah but miguel, for something as simple as leaving off a last name, why would you put yourself in a situation of unnessicary risk? might as well be safe all the way through than sorry at the end.

whisperer

printouts

I've also filled about half of my notebook- but what about when you've done a first draft and are editing it?
I don't know how often to print out my story and stick it in with the new version- and how often are we supposed to put in entries- weekly? fortnightly? I try to not have a gap larger than a fortnight between entries.
I also found that track changes in word makes you end up with an almighty mess!:)

blah says she

blah. blah. blah.
HSC
Re: printouts

Originally posted by whisperer
I've also filled about half of my notebook- but what about when you've done a first draft and are editing it?
I don't know how often to print out my story and stick it in with the new version- and how often are we supposed to put in entries- weekly? fortnightly? I try to not have a gap larger than a fortnight between entries.
I also found that track changes in word makes you end up with an almighty mess!:)
Our teacher suggested we write in our journals AT LEAST once a week. She said you could do one long entry or as some of her previous students had done, write something everyday. :eek:

About drafts, she said whenever you write something new or change something you should print out a copy and stick it in for reference because typing things up, you tend to save the good copy and all the changes you've made etc can't be seen unless you have copies of it at different stages. Although, I've only been printing off bits of my draft when I remember though! When I do, it's only when I've made many changes rather than just a few.

Good luck with stuff :)

Last edited:

icie

At first, I started with a 96-page A4 exercise book.

Then it got very messy because my handwriting was very bad. Also I tended to write in pencil and bits and pieces was just stuck into the book.

So I took this holidays to rewrite it. Now everything is in a black folder and it is very thick.

For part of the journal, I also used a blogging service.

My journal entries have been getting longer and longer. Just last night it was 3 full A4 pages. Sometimes it gets up to 6 or 7 pages for just a single entry.

However, the process diary/journal, for me, is not a matter of marks. It is a matter of writing down your inspirations and the processes you have gone through for the story to reach the state it has. It contains all the background information on the story, and if anyone actually bothered to read it, it will tell them a lot about the background of the story.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)