How much would I struggle with a B Science (Advanced) if I only did general maths? (1 Viewer)

AB940

HSC
Uni Grad
Hi :) I am seriously considering doing this course next year but one of the things that worries me is the mathematics component: I did what is the equivalent to general mathematics (I'm from interstate). It's not that I really hate maths and wouldn't be willing to give it a go or anything; I'm just a bit scared that I wouldn't be able to keep up with the compulsory first year maths units.

Thanks! :)

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
It would be are if you know nothing about differentiation or integration.

You would definitely need to do a bridging course.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Re: How much would I struggle with a B Science (Advanced) if I only did general maths

It's any Mathematics units in first year - you can do Fundamentals which general MIGHT be able to do.

Either way, you'll find it very hard.

AB940

HSC
Uni Grad
Re: How much would I struggle with a B Science (Advanced) if I only did general maths

Thanks for your advice everyone! Out of interest do you all do the course? What do you think of it?
That's good to know about all the tutors, and the bridging courses. It sounds like a great course to study.

Sojazz

HSC
N/A

Hi :) I am seriously considering doing this course next year but one of the things that worries me is the mathematics component: I did what is the equivalent to general mathematics (I'm from interstate). It's not that I really hate maths and wouldn't be willing to give it a go or anything; I'm just a bit scared that I wouldn't be able to keep up with the compulsory first year maths units.

Thanks! :)
This is kindof a late reply, but that's exactly what I'm doing now. I did general maths for the HSC and I'm going B Science now (I'm in first year). Although I'm not doing the advanced course, I don't think you have to do advanced maths units or anything!

If you're doing the equivalent of general maths you should get permission to do MATH1111 intro to calculus in semester 1. It's a bit of a challenge if you've never really done maths properly before, but definitely manageable if you put in the effort. Then for semester 2 you just do 2 fundamental units. There's always winter school and summer school if you wanted to get it out of the way without all your other subjects.

Also, maybe consider doing the 2 unit bridging course over the summer holidays? It's helpful so that during the semester you've seen a couple of the concepts before :)

Basically, don't let the maths thing put you off doing the degree, you will be able to manage 1st year maths fine if you put in the work! It's a great degree (I have a lot of friends doing it) - I'd definitely recommend it!

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad

It's any Mathematics units in first year - you can do Fundamentals which general MIGHT be able to do.

Either way, you'll find it very hard.
Fundamentals would still be 'hard' with general (though stats would be fine cause noone does that at HS, and it's all numeric stuff), though you could do the fundamentals of calculus MATH1111 (the one below fundies) as you did not do a calculus based maths course in HS. But a bridging course could help instill confidence in you before semester starts :) (Which state are you from? Vic with Further Maths? Just so we have a better idea of what you did in HS)

Oh and btw, I do BSc(Adv) at USYD, so feel free to ask me any Qs.

AB940

HSC
Uni Grad

hanks so much guys, I really appreciate your help. I am from Tasmania and the course I did is called Mathematics Applied, which is exactly what it sounds like. We touched on differentiation; we spoke about the concept and did problems involving basic polynomials, but it was mainly about real-life examples. I've been looking at a VCE maths methods textbook, which helps a lot. I'll definitely do the bridging course.

How are you enjoying your courses? What are you planning on majoring in? I'm looking at medicinal chemistry :)

AB940

HSC
Uni Grad

*thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)