How necessary is historiography? (1 Viewer)

feldmann

HSC
My school doesn't stress or even teach us to incorporate historian quotes/views to support our arguments. However all I see when I read practice essays is historiography embedded throughout. So how important is it? Is it necessary to achieve a band 6 or a 23+/25 ?
Thanks

ncoul

HSC
Not essential at all feldmann.

However, I do believe that peppering your response with analysis and synthesis of historiographical arguments can be a good thing and make you stand out.

This means you should BOUNCE OFF varying views and, from there, deduce your own conclusions as to how things went down - demonstrate how you've processed what a historian says.

bec3

HSC
To put it simply, yes you need historians quotes to support a response, but fully fledged historiography analysis is not essential.

InsoulvencyReaper

Existential Crisis
HSC
Historiography adds a bit of credibility to what your argument and shows off your ability to analytical. In saying that, it must address the question and can't just be a random quote stuck into a paragraph.

babylonne

HSC
Effective use of historiography will make it much easier for you to get a band 6 in your extended responses but I wouldn't really worry about it for part B of your personality response.

jesss96

HSC
Effective use of historiography will make it much easier for you to get a band 6 in your extended responses but I wouldn't really worry about it for part B of your personality response.
Really? I heard from somebody that that's the only section where it is necessary?

ncoul

HSC
It's imperative to use it in part B of your personality study; i'm pretty sure it's a part of the criteria for the section.

enoilgam

HSC
To quote from my Modern Guide:

Historiography

Historiography is often poorly understood by most students and it is often not used properly or effectively. This has been noted on multiple occasions in the Notes from the Modern History marking centre which are released yearly following the final HSC exams.

One of the main issues with this aspect of Modern essay writing is that many students often believe that historiography only includes quotes from historians. Whilst quotes are one aspect of historiography, it can also include the opinions of a specific historian, or a general viewpoint overall.

For example, a statement such as “Many historians believe that Speer lied at Nuremburg and had far more knowledge of Nazi war crimes than what he stated in his testimony” is an example of historiography.

Another key issue with historiography is that students often use it ineffectively to the point where it becomes counterproductive. People often overload their essays with pointless quotes, which reduces the quality and effectiveness of their essays. Remember, if your essay is a pastiche of quotes, then you aren’t providing the markers with your own analysis.

Within any essay, historiography should primarily be used to SUPPORT your answer and analysis. As my modern teacher told us, one strong quote backing up your analysis is worth more than five just thrown into a paragraph.
The bottom line is, Historiography is not a requirement for any Modern Essay. However, it is useful for supporting your ideas and adding depth to your analysis.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
As a marker of over 20 years I must agree - it isn't necessary in any part of the paper and that includes Part B of the Personality.

iceworx

HSC
I just completed my HSC last year and got a 92 in the modern history exam. I did not incorporate historiography once in any response.

iceworx

HSC
not really. i collaborated with a few people in doing up essay plans for all the possible questions about a week before the exam then just tried to memorise the ones i thought most likely would be asked. i ended up predicting every question and they luckily were my stronger responses haha

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)