How should i be studying? (1 Viewer)

p3rf3ction

HSC
So i got trials in week 3/4 like most other people, and I've literally done nothing until today where i just started to read from a textbook for some subjects. I know everyone stresses using past papers for revision, but what if we're not too confident in the content we know? My ranks are good but im still not good with the content and have forgotten alot of things. Should i read from my textbook and grasp the concepts and then do past papers or would doing past papers alone do the trick.

Btw the subjects im talking about is mainly Economics, Business, and Ancient History as I have the most trouble with these.

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
Um, obviously you need to know the content because that's what you get marks for.

You could try doing practice papers, and if you come across something you don't know, look it up. If you do a range of different papers, you should cover just about all the content. Otherwise, study your butt off to learn the content first and hope you have enough time to do a few papers.

asadass

HSC
Uni Grad
For high-content humanities subjects I would advice you to make notes under each syllabus dot-point (or at least read the textbooks) before you even attempt any past-papers. If you really want to start past-papers, then economics multiple choice would be the way to go, as they can often be quite difficult.

bertstare

HSC
Read through the text book, summarise to make notes and attack past papers to test what you know and what you don't. If you come across a question in a past paper you don't know, go to your text book, find the content and read through it, then attempt the question again. Also, after you've made your notes it would be a good idea to refer to the syllabus dot points and make sure you've got all the dot points covered.

You'll be doing an exam so the best way to prepare and study is to simulate an exam and do past papers. Give at least 2 weeks prior to your exams to start past papers. Since you've only got about 3 weeks, try finish your notes this week and you should have time for quite a bit of practice on past papers in the 2 weeks leading up to the exam.

The Matrix

HSC
Understand the concept from teacher/textbook/tutor the apply it through doing past paper, heaps of them, like 3 past papers per day! Study minimum of 10 hours per day.

Alkanes

HSC
Understand the concept from teacher/textbook/tutor the apply it through doing past paper, heaps of them, like 3 past papers per day! Study minimum of 10 hours per day.
Lol i think that is just over doing it.
You'll burn out in no time if you do that every day. I think the key to studying is just getting as much work done as you can. Quality > Quantity :)

The Matrix

HSC
Lol i think that is just over doing it.
You'll burn out in no time if you do that every day. I think the key to studying is just getting as much work done as you can. Quality > Quantity :)
quality + quantity > quality !

Alkanes

HSC
Use inequalities to prove that for me :)

The Matrix

HSC
Use inequalities to prove that for me :)
if quantity > 0, then quality + quantity > quality ...
But, how can you prove that a fat person > skinny person, what if the skinny person is stronger stronger, taller, smarter etc...
so inequalities don't always apply to the real world because nothing is absolute, everything is relative, etc...

FreeLearner

HSC
I think you should just take it step by step, make notes/read notes or read textbook for a few days. Then once you've like got most of the ideas in your head start doing past papers. There's no point doing past papers when you don't know the information, since you'll just stare at the question and not know what to write.
Plan your time, and try to study a fair bit everyday, not going overboard, because that usually burns people out = more time loss.

AND GOOD LUCK!

The Matrix

HSC
If you study 7 hours per day efficiently and consistently you can get ATAR above 90, but most people don't study efficiently.
Off course you have to completely understand the concepts before going into past papers.

krnofdrg

Mq Law Student :)
HSC
Uni Grad
For the first 2 weeks you should spend this time mastering your notes and syllabus for your subject . Subsequently, ror the last two weeks you should spend on as much past papers as possible.

SanjoyM

HSC
For Ancient History, make a table with sources for points under each dotpoint comparing Pompeii and Herculaneum (Very helpful), use a lot of historians, research their theories and apply them to your essay. Make sure you take your time to UNDERSTAND the concepts, especially for Personality and most specifically for Historical period. Familiarise yourself with the content, have atleast 3-5 sources per point and MEMORISE them (Location, who, what does this prove, OR if it is a quote, who stated this and how does this prove your point) - The best advice I would provide is highlight evidnece in your essay after you have written your essay, and if your essay does not contain EVIDENCE with every STATEMENT to underpin them, then I would recommend you revise the concepts and integrate more evidence..

annieeeex

HSC
N/A
All you have to do is memorize your textbook LOL JK. Just look at the syllabus, and insert notes underneath the dot points, it might sound easy but it takes alot of time :(

annieeeex

HSC
N/A
Its recommended that you study 3 hours a day, because 3 hours is better than not studying at all. But if you can study more than 3 hours then do that. There will be days where you just wanna slack off and not study at all, don't do that. Even if you're not studying 5 hours a day, don't just slack off just study for 3 hours if you feel like you can't be bothered studying 5 hours. But yeah, STUDY 3 HOURS A DAY! If you're studying less than that, then :(. But it also depends on how you study too. For economics and business, read the textbook, and understand it if u cant be bothered with the syllabus dot points. Get a piece of paper next to you when u read the textbook and write down questions if you don't understand something, then ask your teacher those questions. Write the questions down cus you'll most likely forget what u wanna ask.
When it comes to writing extended responses for economics, they won't give you full marks if u don't relate it to real life. Like, you have to know whats happening around you, like the carbon tax stuff. for eco, they test how well u can relate the theory with real life. Good luck!!!

timeslowsdown

Everything for the Lord
HSC
N/A
Everyone says to start doing practice papers. Make sure you're absolutely confident with all the content before you do this! There is no point testing yourself when you don't know everything. Once you know everything that's going to be examined, then do heaps of practice papers so that you can apply your knowledge. So make summaries, learn the content then do practice papers. Also, there's no point studying 10 hours a day. Firstly, it's unhealthy. You'll become very exhausted and potentially burn out. Secondly, it's very unrealistic. Doing a solid 5 hours is much better than 10 hours. You'll retain much more information. Remember, doing a little bit each day is very productive. Don't hammer yourself about not doing 10 hours.

SanjoyM

HSC
Studying 10-12 hrs during holidays is fine, but I would recommend that you only study 7-9 hrs/day during the holiday and 7-8 during school days!
Always study early in the morning - aids in memory retention and freshens your memory/mind before school :)

Wentworth

HSC
....don't study more than 5 hrs a day, seriously...^7,8 hrs?! that's crazy and you'll end up doing pointless extra work to fill in the time. It's much better to set goals for your study, something like, " today i need to learn this concept then consolidate it using these past paper questions..etc". Learn to study smart, then when you can do that, study hard as well.

krnofdrg

Mq Law Student :)
HSC
Uni Grad
Agreed, the optimal quantity of hours is probably somewhere around 1-1.5 hours of efficient study per subject a day max. If you are spending more than this time limit, you are most likely spending your time very inefficiently and pointlessly.

Spread your hours out also, ensure you got a good amount of breaks and rest in between. Also try sleep at least 8 hours per day and stay motivated :).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)