How should you structure a AOS Essay in the HSC (RMATERIAL AND ALL) (1 Viewer)

P

pLuvia

Integrate the texts

Last edited by a moderator:
L

lilsxcwog69

Okay but for the past two years (2004,2005) they only ask for one related material do you just ignore one of them in your structure

P

pLuvia

If so then I will do three compulsory texts, one stimulus booklet text and one related text

VQ

HSC
Well, I did intro then texts (dun forget go give relation like 'similar with the novel....', they say it affects) and a big summary in the end.

Only did 1 novel (prescribed- Only the Heart), 1 set of poems (2 poems-Postcard and Felix), 1 from stimulus (Wind in the Willow), and 1 of own choosing (1 short story) and I did quite well... :)

L

lilsxcwog69

Ur supposed to do at least three skrzynecki texts in depth

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
mine was structured according to ideas and themes regarding journeys, not paragraphs based on texts.

This allowed me to compare how the different texts raised a particular idea in 2 different ways. Its a much more intergrated structure.

i.e for each paragraph,
- Start with an introduction to the theme discussed in the paragraph, and what the point you will make is.
- Then Focus on one of your texts as your main support for the idea
- Then raise other texts to provide additional support.

It allows you to synthesise your response and better anaylse the techniques used by different text types and texts

BTW, i did 1 stimulus text, 2 coleridge poems, and 1 extra text

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Rafy said:
mine was structured according to ideas and themes regarding journeys, not paragraphs based on texts.

This allowed me to compare how the different texts raised a particular idea in 2 different ways. Its a much more intergrated structure.

i.e for each paragraph,
- Start with an introduction to the theme discussed in the paragraph, and what the point you will make is.
- Then Focus on one of your texts as your main support for the idea
- Then raise other texts to provide additional support.

It allows you to synthesise your response and better anaylse the techniques used by different text types and texts

BTW, i did 1 stimulus text, 2 coleridge poems, and 1 extra text
^ Go with this - it hits home each point more effectively and prevents your essay from becoming (more) repetitive.

I'd also like to mention for those not doing poetry as their set text that you only are required to use one prescribed text, one stimulus booklet text of your own choosing and are reccomended to do two related pieces(if you can) for your essay if you do Standard or Advanced . However ESL students study two prescribed texts(at least thats what the Board site says) from their own ESL Journeys list and a stimulus text along with one related text.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
If you are doing 1 prescribed text, and the essay question asks for AT LEAST ONE RELATED TEXT, then you should write about 2 related texts because markers will be impressed and it is harder to score a high band with only 1 related text in this situation.

If you are doing 2 prescribed texts, and the essay question asks for AT LEAST ONE RELATED TEXT, then you should write 1 related text because you are already doing 2 prescribed texts.

Basically, it is recommended that you do 4 texts either way, 1 Pre, 1 S Book, 2 Related, OR 2 Pre, 1 S Book and 1 Related.

mitsui

мιтэuι
HSC
lilsxcwog69 said:
also doing skrzynecki's poems

planning to do it by themes as it does intergrate all texts more and provide a better argument for ur question

doing 3 S's poems, 1 S booklet, prob. 2 related material

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
Introduction (Thesis)
Prescribed text
Stimulus Booklet
Prescribed Text
Related Text
Prescribed text
Related Text
Conclusion
a suggestion is to write about 3 main themes conveyed in the prescribed text in 3 seperate paragraphs. thus after each paragraph link it with your other texts(stimulus or related) and talk about things such as contrast, similarties, how this aspect is witness again etc between the theme in the text and the prescribed text and so on. and remember hsc markers look at your intro and conclusion first and see if you are able to sustain your arguement throughout your essay ! (that's what ive been told) . so it's important that you write an insightful thesis and also remember that linking and integration is REALLY important !

edit: hmm i just realised its very similar to yours andy lol.

Last edited:

VQ

HSC
*most of u r doing advanced/standard english anyway?

For ESL, I think u have to keep it answering the question, use quotes and techniques because most of the questions ask you to explain "HOW" and this is where the techniques are highly required...

leaderofrouge

HSC
I have a question *raise hand* (BTW i'm in ESL)

I always get this confusion when trying to include techniques into my essays
I get this contradictory thinking in the head... say e.g. the journey statement is something like:

"Every journey involves change or growth within the individual"
How have texts you have studied demonstrated the truth of this statement?

How does technique relate to this? Say for a book, it might use exclaimations, capital letters during dialogues to show a character's emotions or in a film, using low-angle shots to reveal a specific character having more power over another character, 1st person perspective shots to allow audience to see what the character is seeing.

But I reckon all these stuff are purely to allow audience to get a feel of the situation or to create intimacy, connecting us into their issues. I don't understand how to link the statement and techniques together so that they relate to each other.

VQ

HSC
Maybe like this (my example is totally fictitious):

The character A in the movie used a lot of one-word exclamations such as 'History!love!travel!'. This shows that A is really happy about the prospect of the journey and indicates that A changes from his initial state of being grumpy and reluctant to move to be happy and willing to undergo the maturing process of life.

Yeah, just an example. You can do better than that :)

hebehe

HSC
leaderofrouge said:
I have a question *raise hand* (BTW i'm in ESL)

I always get this confusion when trying to include techniques into my essays
I get this contradictory thinking in the head... say e.g. the journey statement is something like:

"Every journey involves change or growth within the individual"
How have texts you have studied demonstrated the truth of this statement?

How does technique relate to this? Say for a book, it might use exclaimations, capital letters during dialogues to show a character's emotions or in a film, using low-angle shots to reveal a specific character having more power over another character, 1st person perspective shots to allow audience to see what the character is seeing.

But I reckon all these stuff are purely to allow audience to get a feel of the situation or to create intimacy, connecting us into their issues. I don't understand how to link the statement and techniques together so that they relate to each other.

i also got this problem......tats y i always lose marks on it.......ohhhhhhhhh..annoying!!!

Mr.Brightside

HSC
I am doing ESL also and i am not sure if my related material for my area of study (journey) could be imaginary( cos i want to do spirited away), because one of my friend told me that i have to pick a physical journey related one.

ki7a

HSC
hopeles5ly said:
Introduction (Thesis)
Prescribed text
Stimulus Booklet
Prescribed Text
Related Text
Prescribed text
Related Text
Conclusion
a suggestion is to write about 3 main themes conveyed in the prescribed text in 3 seperate paragraphs. thus after each paragraph link it with your other texts(stimulus or related) and talk about things such as contrast, similarties, how this aspect is witness again etc between the theme in the text and the prescribed text and so on. and remember hsc markers look at your intro and conclusion first and see if you are able to sustain your arguement throughout your essay ! (that's what ive been told) . so it's important that you write an insightful thesis and also remember that linking and integration is REALLY important !

edit: hmm i just realised its very similar to yours andy lol.
i ever wrote my essay in that style but my teacher said your idea of journey is too broad .... so in the end i just focus on in every text there is a differet type of journey... such as emotion, physical, .....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)