How the hell can you do prose for Mod B!!! (1 Viewer)

stazi

Nightman
HSC
I thought I was prepared for this module. I've done numerous practice essays. Memorised them all. Refer to one traditional and one alternate readings. Refer to two alternate. Refer how the composers attitudes reflect in the work. Refer to critics examining different readings etc etc.
BUT This is prose. Its 700 pages or some number like that. I can understand learning poems, learning segments out of speeches even. NOT BLOODY EXTRACTS FROM A NOVEL!
Extract means to select and copy out.

What i did was just two readings with about 5 different quotes and refered them to the readings as well as the books context.

Also place? What did they mean by place. Readings based on location? No critics from overseas commented on Cloudstreet. It also said from our context, meaning our time and place. We live in Australia, so there wouldnt be a change in interpretation. I used place as in place in society, hoping they may think of it as a good interpretation of the question that is justified.
FFFUUUUCKKKK!!!!!

stazi

Nightman
HSC
I was kicking walls. And no one has ever seen me get angry before, so thats saying something. How the hell could they be so stupid. STUPID FUCKING BOS! I wish i did poetry for this.

Jezzabelle

1Time4thePpl said:
I was kicking walls. And no one has ever seen me get angry before, so thats saying something. How the hell could they be so stupid. STUPID FUCKING BOS! I wish i did poetry for this.
yep same. i mean i have never sweared with the F word on school property or in the face of my parents, and i was letting it ripp. damn to hell the ppl who did speeches! not fair! I wrote into Sunrise soapbox and complained! ha ha

VVoody

Nothing better to do ^_^
HSC
bleh, that question was so skewed. spent all my time memorising 2 different productions >_<

meh..no more english ^^

skittlebrau

1Time4thePpl said:
BUT This is prose. Its 700 pages or some number like that. I can understand learning poems, learning segments out of speeches even. NOT BLOODY EXTRACTS FROM A NOVEL!
Extract means to select and copy out.

FFFUUUUCKKKK!!!!!
Amen.

I has a fantastic essay for this... got 19/20 for it in my trials. It was meant to be my best module but I completely fucked it up. In the end I wrote two readings and wrote a couple of lines on how the context of the people making Marxist and postcolonial readings affected their interpretations of the text. I didn't even say why.

sub

Wtf!?

That was by far THE worst question...i mean wtf? extract? yeah, i'm REALLY gonna remember exactly what was said in Cloudstreet. How many of you people ended up talking about the whole text and not just two extracts? i was like wtf? :rolleyes: how do i answer this question? so i talked about the whole text, doing what i had prepared earlier, then at the conclusion said which two "extract" or scenes i had chosen. Well all i can say is english is over for me...good riddance.

"me fail english? That's unpossible!" - Ralph from the Simpsons.
Boy do i feel like him right now.

HSC
N/A
You know what, I'm completely fine about that essay.

Although I seem to have glossed over the whole "extract" business. Perhaps I didn't read the question properly :D

Although heck, I probably would have ignored it anyway even if I'd read it. Extracts - quotes, what's the difference... meh stupid Adv Eng...

NothingIsStatic

The Wanderer
HSC
sub, Chubby Security I presume?

I didn't read the page down far enough, and only discovered the extract thing at the end of the exam. I interpret that as a specific scene in which you have to compare and luckly I accidently done one scene. But it wouldn't matter as that was the only one I memorised.

I ended up going with the two readings I prepared, whilst trying to link it to today's context. Argh. That has to be the worst question I ever seen.

sub

hey NothingIsStatic, who are u? it is who u think i am.
yeah i did the same thing (almost missed the extract business, but i left the question till the end and then i saw it...fukn lucky i did too, otherwise i woulda fully essay dumped...now it's only a part essay dump : )

NothingIsStatic

The Wanderer
HSC
Ah.

Essay dump sounds like a good way of describing it. I tried to make vague references but then again mate, the novel is written in the early nineteen nineties, which is pretty close to our context. Hrm. That module is too abstract for me.

Oh, I am that guy who came in just this year, and who is in your physics and english class. And is pretty bad at cards. And I call myself Vagabond.

Last edited:

mizz_smee

has a fetish 4 handcuffs
HSC
i think the word extract was a wrong choice
people took it to mean different things
1. the meaning you extract
2. a particular line within the text
3. or a episode from the novel
4. didn't understand it and just went with there pre prepared essay

i did Cloudstreet and insted of wasting my time writing a whole extract to analyse
i wrote a different episode of the novel
such as like a shining light and quicks illusion
and then interprated the contexts that can be read from them
i dunno if i did it right coz i dunno if i got the right meaning for 'extract'
that is now my most hated word in the english language.

sub

hey mate wassup...how'd u go? did u get owned by mod b? the module isn't abstract dude...its the fuking question, and the BOS making these fuking stupid questions. i didn;t mind cloudstreet, apart from the fact that it contained random scenes of nudity that seemed too far disjointed and stupid that it ruined the story...a sea of maked babies...yeah riiiiiiiight...that's just what i needed to read at that moment. im just glad its over.

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
i thought to myself as i was reading the question tot he other texts, esp for novels: what are two extracts from a book? Is it two quotes? themes? pages? characters? etc. It was a rather ambiguous question. I did poetry and had a hard time trying to structure out my argument

DaRanjed

Geez...you people have made me even more worried!

:confused:

I interpreted "extracts" to mean..like two Scenes or something.
I chose Act 1 and the Death scene.

I'm stuffed aren't I?

It was a crazy question.

NothingIsStatic

The Wanderer
HSC
Yo Sub, I think that I got owned in module B. But hopefully not as badly as the Trials. Yep. I hope I can beat the 8/20 I got. Thank god for the end of english, as that novel is just too hard for me to read. I just don't like Winton's style of writing.

And half the time, the Module B questions in the past HSC papers are the ones I hardly understand. All it does nearly everytime is to draw a response 'What the ef?' from me.

iyamahobbit

Resident hobbit
HSC
The extract i picked: the whole thing... *meh*
Just didn't read the question properly.

But if i were you, and tried to grapple with the idea of an "extract", i wouldn't stress about it, long as you knew in your head what you thought "extract" referred to, i don't think it matters what you thought that was.

"extract" = section, i'm purty sure you could define it to mean whatever you pleased, long as it was reasonable, ie, not the whole thing like stoopid me.

sub

yeah, iyamahobbit, i know ur right, but what if u forgot to define "extract" and just rambled on hoping the marker had a definition that fit ur work? that's what i did.

im screwed aren't i? >_<'

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)