how the hell do I study? Tips? (1 Viewer)

HSC
Original Poster said:
hello, I’m in year 8 in a partial selective school and this question is very dumb but, how on earth do I study? Like when people have no assessments and exams coming up, they still study? I don’t know how to study for the subjects and my school barely gives us good material. We had no assessment tasks the whole term due to lockdown. Everyone always says practice questions for math and science… blah blah blah but, I just really don’t get it? Again this sounds very dumb but Im genuinely lost.
Edit: I think my English and math fundamentals aren’t bad. For science in my class we basically cover different sections, Term 1 we had biology related stuff, Term 2 we had chemistry related stuff and Currently we are doing physics related stuff. I don’t understand any of the physics stuff AT ALL🥲
What don't you get about maths and science practice questions for studying? What have you been doing up until now for studying (if anything)?

Here's a kinda rhetorical question to get you thinking as an example about what studying is about

What are you doing to make sure you gain an understanding of the physics stuff?

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Practice questions are not a way of studying, they are a way of determining whether you have effectively understood the concepts taught and the extent to which you are able to apply the knowledge you have gained, meaning they logically follow studying (particularly with subjects like maths and science).

For science (physics), asking your teacher each time there is a concept you don't understand is essential as it helps support your studies. Science in Stage 4 and Stage 5 is essential as while it can be considered basic to concepts taught in Stage 6, the concepts you are and will be exposed to constitute an important opportunity for you to gain fundamental scientific knowledge. Additionally, you can always post any science-related questions on here as there are several people who can help you understand any questions/concepts that you may be struggling with.

I hope this helps! 😄

Life'sHard

HSC
Uni Grad
Whip your syllabus out and go through dot points.

Greninja340

HSC
Original Poster said:
hello, I’m in year 8 in a partial selective school and this question is very dumb but, how on earth do I study? Like when people have no assessments and exams coming up, they still study? I don’t know how to study for the subjects and my school barely gives us good material. We had no assessment tasks the whole term due to lockdown. Everyone always says practice questions for math and science… blah blah blah but, I just really don’t get it? Again this sounds very dumb but Im genuinely lost.
Edit: I think my English and math fundamentals aren’t bad. For science in my class we basically cover different sections, Term 1 we had biology related stuff, Term 2 we had chemistry related stuff and Currently we are doing physics related stuff. I don’t understand any of the physics stuff AT ALL🥲
https://educationstandards.nsw.edu....g-areas/science/science-7-10-2018/content/982 look through this and figure out what you dont understand for physics, then for the ones you dont understand either research the content on the internet, ask your teacher, or ask someone on this website. One you feel like you understand the content you have to practise applying it to answer questions from textbooks in your senior years you will have past papers do them they are the most valuable material at your disposal.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)