how to ace essays... (1 Viewer)

free_spirit88

HSC
hey guys...
like many i hate essays! i was talking to my teacher and a lot of past HSC students and they all had the same advice..
"PRACTICE PAST QUESTIONS!!!"
lets use this thread to share our past questions...when our exams rock up we'll kick ass!!!!!!

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
i thought this thread was gonna tell me how to ace essays :rolleyes:

i dont do inner i do physical

stace.

Sounds like a good idea....this is our half yearly essay question:

' Discuss how effective the composers of the texts you have studied in the Area of Study have been in representing physical, inner or imaginative journeys that have challenged our thinking and broadened our understanding of our own world.'

In your response you should support your ideas by referring to your prescirbed text, ONE text from the prescribed stimulus booklet, journeys, and at least ONE other related text of your own choosing.

Eagles

ROAR~!
HSC
free_spirit88 said:
hey guys...
like many i hate essays! i was talking to my teacher and a lot of past HSC students and they all had the same advice..
"PRACTICE PAST QUESTIONS!!!"
lets use this thread to share our past questions...when our exams rock up we'll kick ass!!!!!!
Sorry, I have kinda to disagree with you here...

There is no point of doing past questions for the sake of practicing questions.

Practicing questions will help you get a feel of what MAYBE asked, but since no questions are EXACTLY the same, it'll just be useless.

The trick is, to know WHY you're doing the past question. To improve your ability to manipulate your prepared paragraphs/ideas to mould the shape of the question is your goal.

"There are those who travel and those who are going somewhere. They are different but yet they are the same. The success have this over his rivals: he knows where he is going."

In summary, prepare PARAGRAPHS that discuss specific points of your text(s) and how it relates to your topic (inner journeys in this case). Then, MOULD your paragraphs to answer the question before you.

Last edited:
HSC
N/A
^^I disagree in part.

I personally feel doing practice questions is excellent for the purpose of improving essay technique and to refine on-the-spot-writing technique. It's not always about knowing what they ask/knowing what to answer, it's about knowing your stuff and being able to write everything you know about it off the top of your head - no preparation! It is pretty darn easy to make an educated guess as to what the question will be - for AOS, the generic question will *always* be "How is the notion of Journeys reflected in your prescribed and related texts?". I know it, now you know it, and by September, when everyone starts cramming, they'll also realise how similar past questions are.

I strongly advise against coming in with any prepared paragraphs to "mould" to the question - which is essentially rote-learning, not good for the HSC and utter suicide for University. Instead, know your points. Know your stuff. Be familiar with HAND-WRITING - yes, unless you have special provisions you will NOT get to type out your essays in the HSC - essays, and be familiar with the sight of a new essay question at the top of your page.

This is why doing practice essays is good - and the more, the better. It'll give you a feel of how to interpret and answer questions well OFF THE TOP OF YOUR HEAD, as opposed to practicing how to mould your "perfect essay" into the "perfect HSC response".

*rant over*

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
glitterfairy said:
^^I disagree in part.

I personally feel doing practice questions is excellent for the purpose of improving essay technique and to refine on-the-spot-writing technique. It's not always about knowing what they ask/knowing what to answer, it's about knowing your stuff and being able to write everything you know about it off the top of your head - no preparation! It is pretty darn easy to make an educated guess as to what the question will be - for AOS, the generic question will *always* be "How is the notion of Journeys reflected in your prescribed and related texts?". I know it, now you know it, and by September, when everyone starts cramming, they'll also realise how similar past questions are.

I strongly advise against coming in with any prepared paragraphs to "mould" to the question - which is essentially rote-learning, not good for the HSC and utter suicide for University. Instead, know your points. Know your stuff. Be familiar with HAND-WRITING - yes, unless you have special provisions you will NOT get to type out your essays in the HSC - essays, and be familiar with the sight of a new essay question at the top of your page.

This is why doing practice essays is good - and the more, the better. It'll give you a feel of how to interpret and answer questions well OFF THE TOP OF YOUR HEAD, as opposed to practicing how to mould your "perfect essay" into the "perfect HSC response".

*rant over*
what she said. If you read the marker's comments you'll find they don't like pre-prepared responses much at all.

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
hey cb!!!!!!!!!!!

i actually checked out the markers comments as well the other day. i have studied for AOS long enough, and though i do physical journeys as well, like goan crazy, it is almost the same. they do not like prepared responses but liked integrated responses that showed application.

my tips, though i might not be the top of the top for english is:
- i agree with glitterfairy in part, but past paper questions should be as a guide to what every question focuses on.
- have journey quotes that you can use to show your marker your intelligence
- know your texts back to front
- use the syllabas

HSC
N/A
wrong_turn said:
- i agree with glitterfairy in part, but past paper questions should be as a guide to what every question focuses on.
- have journey quotes that you can use to show your marker your intelligence
- know your texts back to front
- use the syllabas
Past questions can be used as some sort of guide, but it's good to get into the habit of approaching each question as an entirely new question to be approached differently - stands you in good stead for Uni, not to mention answering the question directly (which you need to do).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)