how to analyse/decode artworks (1 Viewer)

Dave35

HSC
Hey Guys

I was wondering if there are tips or instructions how to analyse/ decode artworks.

Thanks

Logey

HSC
It's all about using the framework, look at it from different perspectives including your the artists, audience. Look at it through subjective,structural, postmodern and cultural frames. seriously hasn't anyone taught you that yet

AmieLea

HSC
agencies of the artworld:
-artist
-artwork
-audience
-world

frames:
-structural
-subjective
-cultural
-postmodern

practise:
-conceptual practise (ie their ideas)
-material (what they do)

that's all they ask you in the exams. you SHOULD really know this already... just try to work out what the artist is trying to say in their artwork, sometimes its about their world/society, and how they use the material s to convey their ideas to the audience and that pretty much covers everything :) :) :) except post modern frame... oh well. just read up on that as something different if they ask about that. i've heard that post modern questions are pretty common.

Dave35

HSC
It's all about using the framework, look at it from different perspectives including your the artists, audience. Look at it through subjective,structural, postmodern and cultural frames. seriously hasn't anyone taught you that yet
Yeah i know i just dont know how to answer it like for example if a question is about cultural do i just talk about the artist and the cultural background in the background

Eliseeeee

HSC
those tips about knowing frames and looking at works through them etc... is obvious but not always helpful, in the first section of the art paper your probably gonna be given artworks you've never seen before by artists you've never heard of so its really hard to get high marks when your explaining why they've done something but know nothing of how their life influenced it
... im worrying about my art half yearly im doing tomorrow

Dave35

HSC
those tips about knowing frames and looking at works through them etc... is obvious but not always helpful, in the first section of the art paper your probably gonna be given artworks you've never seen before by artists you've never heard of so its really hard to get high marks when your explaining why they've done something but know nothing of how their life influenced it
... im worrying about my art half yearly im doing tomorrow
exactly right its hard to talk about it goodluck with your exam tomorrow mines on monday

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)