How to bounce back from terrible Maths ext 2 mark (1 Viewer)

Grinder

HSC
Hello everyone,
I hope everyone is well, I just got my results back from my 4U maths exam. I did terrible, got 54%, I really like the subject but didn't put enough time into it. How do I bounce back to get a b6? The test was on complex numbers. Idk my rank or the class average. My teacher said anyone who got quite lower than 50% should consider dropping the course,

c_z_m

HSC
Please do enquire about rank/class average - your internal ranking, school ranking, and class average is very important. For reference, like you I didn't study and did poorly in my first 4U exam (maybe a 60%? - ranked 90/120) and managed to get up to a ranking of ~70/120 come HSC (trials were cancelled for us). Yet my internal mark for my HSC was 91, because I went to a top selective school.

Complex numbers is considered by many to be the easiest 4U topic. Revising complex numbers will seem like a breeze compared to Proofs, Advanced Mechanics, and Integration. The effort required and difficulty only goes up from here - there is no shame in dropping 4U and focusing on 3U if you find the course to be too strenuous and demanding. But if you are willing to put time, effort, and even money (for a private tutor) you can find a way to bounce back!

Keep in mind you can also bounce back during your HSC - getting a higher exam mark will certainly boost your HSC mark. I got a 94 for my external mark, leading me to a 93 HSC mark, even though I only got a 91 internally!

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
Hello everyone,
I hope everyone is well, I just got my results back from my 4U maths exam. I did terrible, got 54%, I really like the subject but didn't put enough time into it. How do I bounce back to get a b6? The test was on complex numbers. Idk my rank or the class average. My teacher said anyone who got quite lower than 50% should consider dropping the course,
I'm pretty sure the average for my class was around 50-60% and there was a large margin between me and the second guy and from what I've seen in the forum and other friends, a lot of people did bomb their first internal task assessments and only a few did really well in it. The first task tends to have a low weighting so its definitely not game if you do make a comeback for the next consecutive assessments.

Last edited:

c_z_m

HSC
I'm pretty sure the average for my class was around 50-60% and there was a large margin between me and the second guy and from what I've seen in the forum and other friends, a lot of people did bomb their first internal task assessments and only a few did really well in it. The first task tends to have a low weighting so its definitely not game if you do make a comeback for the next consecutive assessments.
That is indeed true. Trials will certainly have a weighting of 30-40% so if you are stronger in other topics you may increase your internal marks and boost your rank. Plus a half-yearly exam or something of the sort.

In my opinion, getting low marks in your first assessment will present more of mental problem rather than a marks problem. Some people fall into a cycle of despair and gloom and spiral into a lack of motivation. Others use the opportunity to try even harder to eventually "break even" or even better. Mindset is something to keep in mind as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)