How to cope with 3 Unit Maths? (1 Viewer)

Simorgh

HSC
Year 10 going into Year 11, and its one of the subjects I am most nervous about doing next year.

Should I start preparing now and buy a prelim book to start off with, I have been hearing so much good stuff about Cambridge? Do I have to revise all my 5.3 Maths from year 9 and 10, so I can be really prepared? Is there anything else I should do?

The other day I randomly had a look in my school library at 3 unit math books, I could not relate to or understand at all the content. My marks in the tests this year have ranged from about 50%-75%.

What marks do I need to achieve next year to be prepared for the HSC 3 unit exams? I think I might need to later drop this if I don't improve my Maths by then...

Last edited:

bxrnzx

HSC
Algebra. It's all about getting your basic algebra skills down-pat, tbh. Try to master this during these hols and you'll be set :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Asghar

Don't waste the opportunity to do some work on your maths (2U & 3U) during this coming summer break. Borrow/buy some 2U or 3U text books. Flip through them. Don't worry if at first you don't understand. It could be because your foundation as of now is not too strong, looking at your marks. You may have to review your Yr 9 & Yr 10 work to make sure you are on top of things - your Algebra, Plane Geometry, Co-ord Geometry, Trigonometry etc.

It is possible, indeed likely, that you may not be able to make much headway yourself, as you are not too good at your maths at the moment. You can ask your friends or relatives who are good at maths to help you. If you can afford it, get a good 1-on-1 tutor to make sure you have a solid grasp of your maths before you embark on your 2U/3U. Once you have done this, you can begin to do a few 2U/3U topics during coming holidays. Why I suggest 1-on-1 is you'd probably do better than going to a good coaching centre where most students are already very good; you'll feel lost or discouraged. Of course if you are inherently talented in maths, in spite of your current marks, by all means go to a good coaching centre.

Last edited:

Green Yoda

Hi Φ
HSC
Mate, just revise year 10..algebra most importantly. And just watch eddie woo. 3u shouldn't be too hard..just understand the concept and Practice, practice, practice. Dw we will smash this!

blackbird_14

HSC
Well.. I'd revise your year 10 maths to make sure that's down pat and solid, so when you go into year 11 you'll be all set to learn new things that build upon those skills learnt in year 10. Algebra and indices are the things you really need to know by heart.

Though in full honesty, don't stress too much- you'll live. The first term is alright, but after that things get quite hectic as the concepts taught get harder to understand.

Enjoy this summer holiday- unlike mine which looks set out to be a revision break!

qwert73

HSC
na you shouldn't worry, just no how indices work and don't completely forget algebra and factorising.
Concepts are fairly easy to grasp and almost all the content is new, although it may be a bit weird doing parametrics before/while learning calculus in 2u. The hardest prelim topic is permutations and combinations because some of the questions are just confusing as to what they are asking but they just take time to get, all other topics are quite straight forward and just require practice to learn how to do a the harder questions.

Simorgh

HSC
This year I have procrastinated so much and top of that didn't study at the right time, like I usually only studied a few days before the Math tests. Soon as I get my maths results back, I realised there were so many questions I could have easily done if I had studied and revised much earlier!

So from the responses I believe indices, algebra, factorisation, plane geometry and trigonometry really need revision. So will try revise and catch up soon.

Thanks for the advice and motivation everyone!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)