How to cope with failing exams (1 Viewer)

Iccehy

HSC
I feel absolutely worthless. For the past term I've been failing exam after exam. Getting 55% - 65% in most of my exams. And I feel worthless because I try really hard, I never give up despite having depression to drag me down. The more effort I put the less I get out. I don't know what to do with my life anymore. My mindset is literally; no good mark in exam = no future. This is what everyone at my school been going on abou. But sometimes I hear stuff like "if you fail, it okay it's not the end of the world".
But it feels like the end of my dreams of having a good life.

How do I deal with this? I feel really at the end of my rope right now.

Traxoom73

HSC
Uni Grad
It is not the end at all, especially at this point in time when you have the biggest internals of the year coming up - the Trials which are easily worth 30-50% of your final internal mark. A lot of people pull up their marks with this one exam despite having done poorly in many of their previous assessments. Don't forget the HSC exams which are worth 50% of your final HSC mark - doing well will greatly benefit your final result. There have been cases where people who have absolutely destroyed all internal assessments have decided to become lazy and slack off for the final October HSC exams because they got too confident and believed they could easily achieve their goal, which obviously led to a lower mark than they would have been able to get. So don't give up, study hard for the remaining few assessments so that you can attack that exam paper with everything you've got.

"Study" means different things for different people. It could mean making summary notes using the resources you have such as your inclass notes and textbook, to doing heaps of practice questions which is what I felt helped the most for any subject because it allowed me to apply the material.

Also, the HSC is not the end of the world, that's just what people make it out to be. It might seem so now because your in the middle of it but trust, it really doesn't mean much later on down the line.

vladn

HSC
Without trivialising how you feel, a lot of other people have been in your position before. It gets better. You will end up getting the results you deserve, and your perseverance means you deserve a lot. The worst thing you can do is let your negative thoughts get the best of you. Channel them into constructive action; use your frustration to fuel yourself and continue working hard with your goals in mind. Also like Traxroom73 said, there are many different ways of studying. You should take this opportunity to reevaluate how efficient your current study technique is, and get more value out of the hours you put in.

panicatthehsc

HSC
I seriously get how you're feeling. Hello fellow depression sufferer *waves*. Right now the way I'm getting through everything is by having a hell of a lot of support (teachers, psychologist, psychiatrist, school counsellors etc) who understand how I'm feeling and are able to take away some of the stress of school by only giving me the work that really needs to be done rather than forcing me to do all the little bits and pieces of homework that won't end up being relevant. I also am not doing the best in my subjects (same sorts of results as you) and it's really disheartening, but I know what I want to do next year at uni so I have found some courses that I can aim to get into which have higher ATARs but also several which have relatively low ATARs so that no matter what mark I get, I'll be able to do what I plan to at uni. Hang in there and message me if you ever need someone to talk to/ rant to/ cry with/ meet up with :)

yoyo0904

HSC
Just wanted to let you know that I understand how you feel - I have depression issues as well and it has been bringing me down. I got my economics mark back yesterday and well...I failed legit even though it was one of the exams I had studied for the most It was upsetting. The people I sit with are all quite smart and they are good at bringing people down without realising it. They were complaining about their marks (which was like average and above) and talking about how people actually failed and I was just sitting there feeling very uncomfortable and nervous.

I think the best thing to do for the both of us is just to forget it and move on, I really do believe that efforts will pay off in the long run even if the [resent doesn't show it :( stay strong!!

iStudent

HSC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuHfVn_cfHU

Just keep persevering, no matter what result you get. If you're putting the hard yards, results should come through. Also, do note that you still have your biggest exams coming! Nothing will be worse than slowing down now! Use your results to anchor your motivation to do even better :) Don't let the negatives bog you down.

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
On the bright side. You have trials (which makes up for a big chunk of your internals) and you have externals.

rawrliongirl

HSC
On the bright side. You have trials (which makes up for a big chunk of your internals) and you have externals.
...unless your trials are so damn hard where nearly everyone does badly and you have no hope (me) ._. *cries*

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)