• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

How to deal with lecturers that cannot accept that they are wrong? (1 Viewer)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I seriously am amazed and astonished at how long this thread has gone on for.

1. Unless stated otherwise, profit figures are ALWAYS before tax and this is definitely industry convention. Admittedly the lecturer could have been clearer as you may not be familiar with what is the norm, but nonetheless, I would have interpreted this as being NPBT.
2. The media is not a source of truth when it comes to what is or isn't convention; and what is or isn't a statutory balance/number (i.e. not calculated in accordance with Australian Accounting Standards).

Now, coming back to the Op's original post though, I (successfully) challenged various lecturers over the years at UNSW. I'm not familiar with this particular lecturer but I've found if you can put up a solid and sound argument in a cohesive manner, lecturers can be surprisingly willing to adopt alternate positions and in my case, they remarked every paper (and I got my called out on WebCT by the lecturer lol).

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Lastly and this is probably what you are trying to argue against - companies are 'taxed' on 'profit'. The thing subject to taxation is 'profit'. Company X makes a profit, and this profit is subject to taxation. Profit making precedes the act of taxing. How then can you assume that profit is post-tax? If this was a 'loss' and not a 'profit', would you also assume the loss is post-tax? That wouldn't make sense because losses are not taxed, right? So unless it explicitly says 'after tax' profit, then it would only be natural to assume the profit is pre-tax.
Thought I'd add for your benefit that you can have losses after tax because that takes into account the tax credits earned on the carry forward loss thus reducing the amunt of the net loss after tax. Such an issue may be irrelevant though as in some countries (and in Australia prior to the reforms introduced in 2010), the law requires dividends to be paid out of profits.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
what lecturer was it, Zein or this guy with a funny italian name (Jojo Paul or something)

they were both shit educators

Last edited:

michaeljennings

HSC
I seriously am amazed and astonished at how long this thread has gone on for.
+1, OP sounds like he has nothing better to do than cry cry cry on the internet about something that isnt particularly important.. Build a bridge and get over it

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
what lecturer was it, Zein or this guy with a funny italian name (Jojo Paul or something)

Mmm. Though one of them did go through material rather quickly (which wasn't too bad considering their "lecture slides" were just the slides provided with the textbook) - and it was nice to finish 64 minutes early from a 2 hour lecture.

HSC
N/A

It wasn't Zein, it was like a Phd Student.

I don't know what you have against Zein lol. He is not too bad. Maybe I learnt the last 4 weeks of the course really easy because I spent a few days on Investopedia learning about futures & options during the Christmas break.

Last edited:
HSC
N/A
Mmm. Though one of them did go through material rather quickly (which wasn't too bad considering their "lecture slides" were just the slides provided with the textbook) - and it was nice to finish 64 minutes early from a 2 hour lecture.
Well the slides copied the textbook exactly. To be honest there probably wasn't that much benifit attending lectures. I guess the only reason I went was because it forced me to read the material.

johnys

HSC
N/A
One does not simply assume the profit figure is NPAT...

FinsLecturer

HSC
Simple guide to multiple choice questions:

DO: Choose from one of the 5 answers.

DON'T: Make your own answer and put it under the given answers on the basis that you thought the question was too ambiguous.

common_sense

Banned
HSC
N/A
Simple guide to multiple choice questions:

DO: Choose from one of the 5 answers.

DON'T: Make your own answer and put it under the given answers on the basis that you thought the question was too ambiguous.
nice one u shit troll.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)