How to do this integration question? (1 Viewer)

hypermax

HSC
N/A
split the areas up, the first one the triangle doesn't need integration, use the area of circle for both semi circles or you can just combine the 2 semi circles together cause they have the same radius and just use the area of a circle formula

hypermax

HSC
N/A
i really see nothing different, question number one is the equation for number 2

hypermax

HSC
N/A
wait so u do u integrate then for the semi-circle?
why? Isn't the question asking for the area, since its a semi-circle, why can't you use the area of a circle formula to find out the area

hypermax

HSC
N/A
I think the question was designed so that you notice integration isn't always necessary when finding the areas of shapes found in the graph

Ekman

HSC
As a matter of fact, part a and part b are too separate questions that may look similar but are different. Part a only refers to value not area, as you know integrating a function doesn't necessarily gives you the area. Its only the net area it gives you. Thus part a is asking for net area and part b is asking for total area.
Since the area under the curve is negative, its 'negative' when calculating part a but 'positive' when calculating part b

Last edited:

astroman

HSC
As a matter of fact, part a and part b are too separate questions that may look similar but are different. Part a only refers to value not area, as you know integrating a function doesn't necessarily gives you the area. Its only the net area it gives you. Thus part a is asking for net area and part b is asking for total area.
whats the difference?

Ekman

HSC
whats the difference?
Net area factors in the area under the curve as negative, but total area factors in the area both above and below the axis as positive

Ekman

HSC
Part a) 0.5 * 2 * 3 + 0.5* 2* 1 - pi*1*0.5 + pi* 1 * 0.5

Part b) 0.5 * 2 * 3 + 0.5* 2* 1 + pi*1*0.5 + pi* 1 * 0.5

Silly Sausage

HSC
Definite integration is not restricted purely to finding the area/volume under a function. Part a just wants you to evaluate the definite integral whilst part b wants you to find the area. To find the area of a semi-circle you use the formula

y did u minus in part a?

Last edited:

Ekman

HSC
can i see working plz, this is frustrating me
Im being serious, that's all I can show for the working out. Its the logic behind integrals that you have to understand. Silly Sausage explained it perfectly.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
For part a) you basically ignore the semi-circles since they cancel each other out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)