How to do well In Ext History-Advice from someone who did well in the HSC (1 Viewer)

Chevalier

FutureGazer
HSC
Hello to everyone who's doing Extension History imo it's definitely the best and most interesting course on offer for the HSC and I'm sure at least some of u out there will have the same kind of infectious enthusiasm and passion for the course as I had last year when I did the course. So anyways I think it would be good of me to share with u guys some insights, hints and tips into how to do well in the HSC exams and perhaps even in ur school exams and general assessments. Some of the stuff here's actually from a response in another thread but I'll post it all up again here for the benefit of all you History Extensioners.

Here are my top 5 tips to doing well in Ext History

1.This is kinda obvious but keep on top of ur historical readings. U don't necessarily have to read whole texts but even excerpts of texts(which u can find alot of on the internet, as I found out) or essays will suffice. Research prominent historians and look into significant historical debates.

2. The next best thing is to read widely. Read all sorts of texts, not just historical texts but ANYTHING. Newspaper or magazine articles, online journals, essays, heck even novels will do. Basically anything that gives a well-grounded, informative and enlightening perspective on history can give ammunition to ur response. The markers love it cause it demonstrates that u are a well-informed, intelligent student of history, prepared and willing to do their own research instead of just regurgitating what ur teacher taught u in the classroom.
I used my English Ext prescribed text, which was a novel and it worked out really well for me. Remember that Q1 asks u to integrate ur own knowledge of historiography with the close passage AND two sources. But don't limit urselves to just historical sources or texts. Think outside the box. Use texts u wouldnt normally consider.

3. Give ur own opinion on history. This was something my brilliant teacher taught us early on. In my exam I said something like "History has endured as a human science for as long as it has because of its ability to imbed itself within the collective imaginations of mankind" or something like that. I also said "The purpose of history is to educate and inform people today of the real significance of past events in shaping the present," or something along those lines. This kind of response shows that ur not just rote-learning and demonstrates that u are actually an intelligent, well-informed person who has their own view of what history is, its purpose or how its shaped. It shows u can think critically and imaginatively about these important questions regarding historiography. Contrary to other subjects, history ext markers do like to see an insightful, well articulated and well-informed response stemming from ur own personal view and understanding of history and they will give u extra marks for it so don't be scared to give ur own opinion. (THIS APPLIES TO QUESTION 1 only I wouldn't do this as much for Question 2, as Q2 is to do with a case study and different historical perspectives,)

4. Do practise essays. Do a generic one and try adapting it so suit the question. Cause lets face it the days of pre-prepared responses are long past and what do u do if u go into the exam hall with a pre-prepared essay waiting to go and u find the question is completely different. Especially considering last year's beast of a question which probably will set a precedent, considering that past questions were all pretty samey (Q1 I mean, Q2 was just a shit question in general.) And it also beats having to write out multiple essays each catering for a different question and that wont help cause u'll just become muddled and confused with all ur essays together.

5. Know what the course is all about. Read the rubric to know exactly what it is that u can test u on. That way u wont get caught out come HSC time. I've listed them here, this is from my own understanding but here are the things u need to know for Q1; things they could ask or things u can address in ur essay. Even if the question addresses one of the concepts I've listed below u can still bring in the others. True story this; 2010's question was to do with "forms of historical communication shape how history is written over time." I still was able to mention stuff like the role of the historian in constructing history and the purposes of history. You'll see all these concepts all interrelate and cross over so all are relevant. But u should know exactly what the question is asking u to do, and they could ask anything so u better have stuff for;

-what is history
-uses and purposes of history
-role of the historian in constructing history
-how is history shaped
-how has the writing and recording of history changed over time (last year's question dealt with this one specifically)
-impact and implications on society

I might have missed some things but the bottom line is- be sure have a look at the rubric. Go on, do it.

And lastly but no less important is to stay motivated. As long as u remain focused, are used to taking an independent approach to research and learning (half the stuff u cover will be stuff u learn from ur own research, alot of it is self-taught) then you'll do really well.

Anyone else who did well in the HSC is welcome to add to or improve this. If my insights help one student however slightly, then this thread has well and truly served its purpose.

Have fun and good luck! ^^

PS.If u like my post please rep me!!! Thankyou! :)

Last edited:

ArtemisOrthia

HSC
Thank you for taking the time and effort to share your insights, it is highly appreciated!

n_n I'd give you more rep but it tells me I need to share it around first. D: Shame, you really deserve heaps.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)