How to extend your vocabulary in english? (1 Viewer)

Shadose

Enjoy Life
HSC
Re: help?

This is great! :)

Thanks. It gets you thinking about the word, and what it means.

And do I really donate 20 grains of rice for every correct answer? If yes, I will do this more! ^^

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC

Freerice is shit, sif you wouldn't be familiar with those words anyway. Does it get harder after a while, or is it all that simple? I donated like 1000 grains and then I quit, it was pointless.

tambourine

HSC

What was wrong with my grammar? Was it the use of commas?

RedZenith

HSC

Jachie said:
Freerice is shit, sif you wouldn't be familiar with those words anyway. Does it get harder after a while, or is it all that simple? I donated like 1000 grains and then I quit, it was pointless.
What level did you get to?

Jachie

HSC

RedZenith said:
What level did you get to?
Quit at level 25. It didn't seem to be advancing in difficulty so I got impatient.

HSC

Jachie said:
Quit at level 25. It didn't seem to be advancing in difficulty so I got impatient.
It takes 10 seconds to get to level 40, you must have the shortest attention span in the world.

I don't know how much it would help anyway, as the comparisons are not exact and they're not in context...

Jachie

HSC

veloc1ty said:
It takes 10 seconds to get to level 40, you must have the shortest attention span in the world.
Uh, duh?

EDIT: no seriously, you're trying to be insulting but like, tell me something I don't already know.

HSC

Jachie said:
Uh, duh?

EDIT: no seriously, you're trying to be insulting but like, tell me something I don't already know.
Actually I wasn't trying to be insulting, it only took 4 words to get to level 40 then it got really hard, so you mustn't have played long... lol.

Jachie

HSC

veloc1ty said:
Actually I wasn't trying to be insulting, it only took 4 words to get to level 40 then it got really hard, so you mustn't have played long... lol.
Four words?

No, I was playing a tad longer than that :confused:

tambourine

HSC

It is impossible, as far as I know, to get to level 40 after only four words.

Shadose

Enjoy Life
HSC

Umm...don't you start at level 25?

RedZenith

HSC

The first few questions work out which level you should start at. Afterwards I think you need 3 right in a row to advance, and if you get one wrong you move back. The top level is 50.

Shadose

Enjoy Life
HSC

Oh, yeh. If you get the first 4 words right, you would be straight to level 40, so its possible.

HSC

Shadose said:
Oh, yeh. If you get the first 4 words right, you would be straight to level 40, so its possible.
Yup. My highest level is only 42 though, the words get extremely obscure.

fernando

Poo
HSC
N/A

use the "rice application" on facebook!!! it donates 10 grams of rice for the correct definition of the word! dooooo ittttttttttt

shortcut

HSC
I agree, just reading books and newspapers. If you find a word that interests you and you dont know what it means, look it up. it'll take time but eventually words will sink into your vocabulary and you wont have to think about it.
Also, HOLY SHIT summer school? I find it hard enough making myself work in the term, why would you want to do it when you dont actually have to? I say just do a little bit of revision each day during the hols, that way you get exposure to it every day. If you work too hard now you'll burn out by the end.

Summer school...*shakes head incredulously*

Rhanoct

zzzzz
HSC
Read and, if you have a well spoken english teacher, pay attention to the phrases s/he uses and jot them down.

RedZenith

HSC
I used to have this really eloquent english teacher Mr. Wells, man you could learn so much off just how he speaks, but unfortunately he's leaving next year to go to some school in NSW, and right when I'm starting VCE. You'd be really lucky to have him as an english teacher. (Oh yeah he also wrote the VCE syllabus)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)