How to Improve in English? (1 Viewer)

IceOnFire

HSC
What do you think are the most effective ways of improving English? Is it expanding the vocabulary, or writing more practice essays?

I really need to improve my English skills and marks by next year since it counts towards the UAI.

Any tips would be great. :D

We can also discuss on how to improve on other subjects if you want.

See this thread is school related, don't get off topic people.. ;)

tlodg

HSC
N/A
Read more novels (or any other books you find interesting) and don't try to memorise grammar 'rules'. Good idea to practice writting essays, but you can also look at 'model' essays and learn from them.

IceOnFire

HSC
So you recommend getting the student answers from the previous HSC?

Do you think I should get English study guides for the texts I am studying? Are they even remotely helpful?

anniea89

HSC
yep, there are some really good study guides out there.

But you don't always have to use them. I only used mine when I was really desperate

lulabelle

HSC
LottoX said:
Write more practice essays and hand them in to your teacher to mark.
teachers are usually more than happy to mark any essays you write and the feedback is really useful

airie

airie <3 avatars :)
HSC
Manage your time well?

I had ticks throughout my essay for the yearly exam, but still got a horrible, horrible mark cos I didn't finish. And it was quite obviously so, I was making a whole new point in my very last paragraph which didn't sound anything like a conclusion :p

RiCkiE

HSC
IceOnFire said:
What do you think are the most effective ways of improving English? Is it expanding the vocabulary, or writing more practice essays?

I really need to improve my English skills and marks by next year since it counts towards the UAI.

Any tips would be great. :D

We can also discuss on how to improve on other subjects if you want.

See this thread is school related, don't get off topic people.. ;)
I'd say read lots and lots of novels and essays...you'll soak up the whole literary vibe. Another advantage is that while you're reading you automatically pick up new vocab and basic creative writing skills and essay structure, and it's alot more fun then wading through piles of rules and notes. Its not like math where you remember a formula and pop out a great essay...so coaching and study guides and stuff aren't that helpful unless you're really not sure about something; just use them to clarify.

princy

HSC
I am not really sure what advice I can give you, because I seem to just be a natural english type. The one thing that will really help you is to write. You will not get better at something without practicing. If you have troubles with essays, write essays, on your texts, on anything. If you have problems with interviews, write them. Short stories, write them too. Hand them in, and don't just say "can you have a look at this?" ask your teacher to read it and give you advice on it, ways you can improve, what you need to work on.

You just need to keep doing the things you are not sure about I guess.

BFF

HSC
I would say the best way of doing well in english is remembering alot of quotes from the text you are studying. If you know what question you are going to be asked you can formuate your essay around your quotes.

English has never been my best but my marks have improved remarkably that now I am beating many of the extension boys. This is because i have a really good teacher who is always open to marking my responses i hand in to her.

In the short responses know all the language devices and how to apply them this also helps in the creative writing as they are not looking for a plot but how well you can write, the more creative you are with techniques the better mark you will get.

IceOnFire

HSC
Nice tips guys.. :)

Thanks.

So what do you think are the most effective of remembering quOtes?

RiCkiE

HSC
SoulSearcher said:
I didn't know you wrote essays in maths :eek:
Shut up :p you know what I mean. And as for quotes i just read them like 5 mins before my exam :p that's probably not a good idea though...

kimberlin

HSC
a combination of repetition verbally, writing it down and if necessary, sticking them on door handles.

IceOnFire

HSC
SoulSearcher said:
Not really a waste of money if you don't have any in the first place :eek:
I am just pointing out that tutors WOULD be a waste of time and money for me IF I have tutors.. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)