How to increase writing speed? (1 Viewer)

T

trowla17

I don't know about you guys but after writing 3 essays (module A,B,C) in a row, my handwriting was almost illegible and I had to skip 100 words from my Module C essay because my hand was so sore. How can I improve my writing speed, I want to be able to hit 1100 words in 40 min.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
You should be more concise and get your points down in a more reasonable 900 words or so

Quality > Quantity

madharris

HSC
N/A
Practice.
this is the only thing you can do.
There are some techniques where you can practice with a weight of some kind (such as a battery) on the back of your pen.
Then before the exam you take it off and your writing speed will increase and your hand will not hurt (I did this for my trials and it worked)

T

trowla17

You should be more concise and get your points down in a more reasonable 900 words or so

Quality > Quantity
Quality and quantity are both important, our teacher said we should all be able to hit 1100 in every essay to achieve a decent mark. I'm going to try the weighted pen trick, hopefully it might work. Has anyone else got any good ideas?

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Do you find yourself thinking too much during exams?

JasonG123

HSC
Uni Grad

Quality > Quantity
This is just not true.

Don't expect a band 6 writing 900 words.

T

trowla17

lol i memorise most of my essays, so i gotta think bout addressing the question

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Quality and quantity are both important, our teacher said we should all be able to hit 1100 in every essay to achieve a decent mark. I'm going to try the weighted pen trick, hopefully it might work. Has anyone else got any good ideas?
1100? No, that's just silly. 1100 words per 40 minute essay in the Modules paper? Come on.

This is just not true.

Don't expect a band 6 writing 900 words.
Oh you'll be surprised what answering the question will do to your response.

lol i memorise most of my essays, so i gotta think bout addressing the question
there's your problem

stop that

Examine

same
HSC
Lift your hand off the table 10 minutes in. You writing gets faster though you can't do it for the whole time.

JasonG123

HSC
Uni Grad
Oh you'll be surprised what answering the question will do to your response.

there's your problem

stop that
You can answer the question all you like, you're not getting a band 6 by writing 900 words. You're just not saying enough.

The OP should practice so that he can write 1100-1200 words. Memorise it, adapt it on the day.

RishBonjour

HSC
1100 each essay?
I think 1000 is enough to get top marks if your essay answers the question and has good stuff in it, but writing more is DEFINITELY an advantage.
I tend to think a lot during exams, especially modules, and end up writing around 1000 and a bit for 1st two essays and 900 ish for last (usually module B - since you don't have to write much for this)

And my hand writing is ALMOST illegible, my english teacher took marks off and even wrote it on my report lulz.
But use a good pen
I used bic 50 cent pens in one of my eco assessments, wrote around 1600 words in 55 mins with 4/5 graphs... BUT teacher couldn't read 14 words D:

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
You can answer the question all you like, you're not getting a band 6 by writing 900 words. You're just not saying enough.

The OP should practice so that he can write 1100-1200 words. Memorise it, adapt it on the day.
yeah no memorising

I am telling you that if you expect 1100 words per 40 minute essay, then you must be a naturally fast writer. I am a naturally fast writer - I can dish out 1100 words fine. But I know tons of people, i.e. the majority, can't.

900-1000 words is what is usually done by most people - and that's enough to get a Band 6 if you make your points clear enough, and articulate them well enough.

Sidekickk

HSC
Why no memorising? Unless you are innately good at English, you have to memorise to have enough stuff down in an exam.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)