How To Maximise Battery Usage? (1 Viewer)

kokodamonkey

HSC
Hey im getting a macbook in the next couple of weeks. and i want your opinions on how to get the best battery life out of it in terms of the 6hours usage... not like with the ipod and after a year it only goes for 3h instead of 12..

Some people say you should let it run right down everytime, others say always keep it above 40% usage etc.. i want to be able to do the right thing, and i presume it means you shouldnt leave it plugged "into the wall" the whole time at home either?

sunny

meh.
HSC
Laptop batteries are replaceable parts. These days almost all laptop batteries are lithium ion batteries. They have a life and will eventually die, no matter how well you try to take care of it. 2 years is typical, 4 years if you're lucky.

Generally, you'd want to completely discharge/charge once a month, and if you're not using it for an extended period of time don't keep it fully charged when in storage.

***mike***

HSC
dont leave it plugged into the wall, i did that and my laptops battery has bin changed twice in 3 years... i think the best is to (from a full charge) use it till its basically dead, then charge it... thats what im doin now with my new battery and its bin working fine.

CieL

HSC
You don't always need to use it till it's dead.
Just make sure you do it once every 3-4wks.

The new lithium ion batteries don't have memory.. so you can still charge it when it's only half used.

I'm not sure about anything bad happening with a laptop being constantly plugged into a wall.. I did [and still do] that with my old laptop.. it's about 4yrs old and lasts about 2hrs when it's not hooked onto the wall.. which I reckon is pretty good for an ancient machine..

sunny

meh.
HSC
CieL said:
I'm not sure about anything bad happening with a laptop being constantly plugged into a wall
For an extended period of time (weeks) thats can be bad for the battery. Its the same as keeping in it storage, and lithium ion batteries should be kept in storage at 40-50% charge to avoid wear and tear on the cells from keeping it fully charged.

kokodamonkey

HSC
so say coming home each day and having it plugged in for 4hours is okay? even if its already "charged" ?

CieL

HSC
sunny said:
For an extended period of time (weeks) thats can be bad for the battery. Its the same as keeping in it storage, and lithium ion batteries should be kept in storage at 40-50% charge to avoid wear and tear on the cells from keeping it fully charged.
But does that include usage?

I keep my old laptop plugged in the wall.. and probably only remove it once from the wall for 5mins, maybe once a week to print out notes..

Otherwise, it's in the wall pretty much 24/7.. and I use it at least 12/7

And the battery still lasts 2hrs out of the socket. [4yr old lappy]

sunny

meh.
HSC
If your battery is fully charged, and you're using your laptop then its being powered by the adapter and not the battery. It would basically just be sitting in your laptop fully charged all the time whether the laptop is on (in use) or off.

I'm suprised it still lasts that long if it is the original 4 year old battery. Most batteries are down to ~70% charge after 1 year, and decrease rapidly after that. Batteries are meant to be consumables that get replaced over time.

Most new (~2 years) smart batteries can tell you how much the battery was originally designed to hold, and how much it can actually hold.

I'd consider your case an exception rather than the rule :)

kokodamonkey

HSC
well thats why im trying to figure out hows the best way devoting my life around getting the most out of my battery..

Martyno1

oh hi
HSC
Macbook batteries are the worst. :( Everything is perfect about a Macbook except for the battery. The "6 hours" is really about 3 and a half if you're lucky (that means no music, lowest brightness, no bluetooth and no wireless internet).

Evilo

HSC
kokodamonkey said:
please dont say that now! so how do i get the so called 6hours?
I dont think i've ever got 6hrs out of a battery....

Martyno1 is right - lowest brightness etc - i.e. impratical laptop

kokodamonkey

HSC
well i presume i should be able to get atleast a good 4hours out of it... i think i might get a spare battery too

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)