How to memorise quotes?? (1 Viewer)

jerresaaa

HSC
Does anyone have any effective tips on how to memories quotes? Especially for english + humanities subjects (SOR 1, ancient history, extension history)

TY in advance :)

teridax

HSC
N/A
rote learning is probably the way to go tbh

e.g. i just rewrite mine over and over until it's in my head

Fiction

HSC
I would say write out your essays, since you're going to be writing in the HSC.

But if you're in a rush/running out of time, reading a essay out loud is the way to go (for me anyways). I find it's not as engraved in your head as roting by writing, but it's so much faster. Plus if you're cramming the night before, the only thing that tires if your voice; and no one cares about your voice.

teridax

HSC
N/A
I would say write out your essays, since you're going to be writing in the HSC.

But if you're in a rush/running out of time, reading a essay out loud is the way to go (for me anyways). I find it's not as engraved in your head as roting by writing, but it's so much faster. Plus if you're cramming the night before, the only thing that tires if your voice; and no one cares about your voice.
But isn't that in a way still roting because you're repeating the words out loud to yourself?

shesonfire

HSC
N/A
Everyone has a different way to memorise and learn things. :)

But, like teridax stated, I like to write my quotes repeatedly until I can say it aloud without having to glance at them. In addition to this, getting some one to test you on the quotes is also a good for memorising key points. Ask a friend or your parents.

Also, doing past papers and short responses can also help memorising your quotes and concepts.

Try drawing out a mind map, with your quotes, and place this on your wall. Visuals are also a great way to engage your brain cells with learning. Memorisation can be tedious but every little step counts.

Personally, this is the way I would approach subjects that require quotes (for me, English Advanced) because not only I am imprinting them into my memory (don't know if that makes sense) but it also boosts my self-confidence.

PhysicsMaths

HSC
Best way = writing essay then remembering it word for word

The remembering part takes around 3 hours

crispycarrot

HSC
Structure all your quotes into a song. Find a popular instrumental on YouTube. Sing it.

Just thought of that, it could really work well I reckon. It would help if your know at least a tad bit about music.

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
what I did is walk around the school, reading it out-loud for about over 45 minutes before hand. I managed as a result to remember all the them. That said, my memory, when prepared, is very good.

I suggest not rote-learning an essay for English at least, because they could ask you anything.
Rote-learning shorter chunks of text such as quote-explanation/relation to theme etc. is easier.

For module A which was comparative study, I would use one example for each text in comparison.

see:
https://9eeba4054ee764a743f35bb25b5...MEswQ3c/_web-uploads/sample notes/sf/english/

Last edited:

Bestintheworld

HSC
record it as you read it and listen to it for sometime until you can memorise lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)