How to prepare for year 11? (1 Viewer)

Clueless0182

HSC
Heyy so I know this question has been asked before but i wanted to know some things specially.

So basically i'm doing 3U math (for which i already go tutoring so im already preparing for term 1 of year 11), Chemistry (already completed term 1 content at tutoring), Biology, English Advanced, Software and PDHPE.

I want to start the eng adv content but i am unsure how to. I know that specific schools prescribe specific texts but can anyone recommend any basic texts i should read or does anyone attend or has attended Girraween high and know what their prescribed texts are for year 11.

I am a bit unsure as to how to read the syllabus. When i search for syllabus i get a 60 paged pdf but could someone please tell me under what heading exactly are the dot points i need to be focusing on? When i write notes should i only focus on the syllabus dot points and not write any other information?

Also i want to start making notes for subjects such as biology however i am unsure as to whether to do it digitally or by paper. Now i know that paper is better but i was wondering if in these holidays i should make digital notes then near exams i should rewrite the important stuff on paper. Or should i just write all of them?

alsooo if anyone has any other suggestions as to how i can prepare for the subjects above any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks,

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
As you may already be aware, individual schools set their own prescribed texts in year 11, as opposed to year 12, where it is NESA that sets a list of prescribed texts from which schools must choose a few. This means that, if you are not aware of Girraween High School's prescribed texts for year 11, then you will not be able to have a look at prescribed texts from the English Advanced syllabus (since there aren't any), which is something that you would be able to do if you were about to commence year 12 but have not yet been made aware of your prescribed texts in year 12 (as all prescribed texts are contained within the syllabus).

While you await someone who will hopefully inform you of GHS's prescribed texts for year 11, you may wish to have another look at the English Advanced syllabus document. Specifically, you may wish to have a look at pages 29-41, which cover the English Advanced year 11 course content in detail. The English Advanced syllabus can be accessed using the link below:

Essentially, your notes should comprise techniques and quotes from your prescribed texts and relevant ideas/themes/issues raised in the syllabus. This applies to both the year 11 and year 12 courses.

I took English Standard when I completed my HSC. Both year 11 courses for English Standard and English Advanced have a common module called "Reading to Write". Based on this, here are some examples of texts that you may wish to look at while you are waiting to determine your school's prescribed texts/in preparation for year 11 English Advanced:
  • Feliks Skrzynecki - a poem by Peter Skrzynecki
  • Copperhead Road - a song by Steve Earle
  • Naked Girl and Mirror - a poem by Judith Wright
I hope this helps! 😄

Jojofelyx

HSC
Heyy so I know this question has been asked before but i wanted to know some things specially.

So basically i'm doing 3U math (for which i already go tutoring so im already preparing for term 1 of year 11), Chemistry (already completed term 1 content at tutoring), Biology, English Advanced, Software and PDHPE.

I want to start the eng adv content but i am unsure how to. I know that specific schools prescribe specific texts but can anyone recommend any basic texts i should read or does anyone attend or has attended Girraween high and know what their prescribed texts are for year 11.

I am a bit unsure as to how to read the syllabus. When i search for syllabus i get a 60 paged pdf but could someone please tell me under what heading exactly are the dot points i need to be focusing on? When i write notes should i only focus on the syllabus dot points and not write any other information?

Also i want to start making notes for subjects such as biology however i am unsure as to whether to do it digitally or by paper. Now i know that paper is better but i was wondering if in these holidays i should make digital notes then near exams i should rewrite the important stuff on paper. Or should i just write all of them?

alsooo if anyone has any other suggestions as to how i can prepare for the subjects above any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Type up your notes. Saves time. Use that saved time to complete questions by hand though. Heaps and heaps of questions by hand.

Ava342

HSC
N/A

Thanks,
So far i've just been making notes for PDHPE and bio, and for english i'm just refining skills like essay writing and memorising techniques. the syllabus was a bit hard for me to understand also but there should be a section called "students learn about" or "students learn to" and under there it should say what you need to know

Last edited:

Clueless0182

HSC
So far i've just been making notes for PDHPE and bio, and for english i'm just refining skills like essay writing and memorising techniques. the syllabus was a bit hard for me to understand also but there should be a section called "students learn about" or "students learn to" and under there it should say what you need to know
Oh ok that sounds good.

Minari243

HSC

Thanks,
Hey! So I finished my HSC in 2021 and I'm from Girra so these were the prescribed texts I had in year 11 for 2020:
Term 1 - Anil's Ghost by Michael Ondaatje
Term 2 - Macbeth + Macbeth Retold
Term 3 - Gwen Harwood Poems: The Violets, At Mornington, Prize Giving, In the Park, and The Glass Jar (I think these poems may shuffle a bit year to year but its still probably Gwen Harwood)

I don't think they've changed these prescribed texts since I know the 2019 cohort did the same ones and the 2022 cohort did anil's ghost

Clueless0182

HSC
Hey! So I finished my HSC in 2021 and I'm from Girra so these were the prescribed texts I had in year 11 for 2020:
Term 1 - Anil's Ghost by Michael Ondaatje
Term 2 - Macbeth + Macbeth Retold
Term 3 - Gwen Harwood Poems: The Violets, At Mornington, Prize Giving, In the Park, and The Glass Jar (I think these poems may shuffle a bit year to year but its still probably Gwen Harwood)

I don't think they've changed these prescribed texts since I know the 2019 cohort did the same ones and the 2022 cohort did anil's ghost
Thanks a lot for that :)

BOS101

HSC
As you may already be aware, individual schools set their own prescribed texts in year 11, as opposed to year 12, where it is NESA that sets a list of prescribed texts from which schools must choose a few. This means that, if you are not aware of Girraween High School's prescribed texts for year 11, then you will not be able to have a look at prescribed texts from the English Advanced syllabus (since there aren't any), which is something that you would be able to do if you were about to commence year 12 but have not yet been made aware of your prescribed texts in year 12 (as all prescribed texts are contained within the syllabus).

While you await someone who will hopefully inform you of GHS's prescribed texts for year 11, you may wish to have another look at the English Advanced syllabus document. Specifically, you may wish to have a look at pages 29-41, which cover the English Advanced year 11 course content in detail. The English Advanced syllabus can be accessed using the link below:

Essentially, your notes should comprise techniques and quotes from your prescribed texts and relevant ideas/themes/issues raised in the syllabus. This applies to both the year 11 and year 12 courses.

I took English Standard when I completed my HSC. Both year 11 courses for English Standard and English Advanced have a common module called "Reading to Write". Based on this, here are some examples of texts that you may wish to look at while you are waiting to determine your school's prescribed texts/in preparation for year 11 English Advanced:
  • Feliks Skrzynecki - a poem by Peter Skrzynecki
  • Copperhead Road - a song by Steve Earle
  • Naked Girl and Mirror - a poem by Judith Wright
I hope this helps! 😄
How do you find relevant ideas/themes/issues in the english syllabus for your prescribed texts?

BOS101

HSC
litcharts
Oh thanks I just searched the website up.

I'm just confused because someone said that you should link your quotes and to ideas/themes incorporated in the syllabus, but I don't know where they found those themes in the syllabus. I cant find anything

idkkdi

HSC
Oh thanks I just searched the website up.

I'm just confused because someone said that you should link your quotes and to ideas/themes incorporated in the syllabus, but I don't know where they found those themes in the syllabus. I cant find anything
the literal syllabus is what they mean.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)