• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

How-To-Study Effectively Techniques Workshop (2 Viewers)

HSC
Hey everyone who would be interested in attending a study skills workshop where you can actually learn some of the best skills to study with and how to motivate yourself???

Does this interest anyone? It isnt just for Year 12 students, I'd like to see a wide variety of people and grades attend. Places will be limited.

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
^^^^ i would rather just get like a booklet thing that i can read in my own time coz im busy!

but if it was at my school i would go

HSC
A booklet thing? How do you mean? Because I dot understand how you could get that info from a booklet??

But either way I get what your saying, you want convenience...

What school you at anyways?

Heinz

The Musical Fruit
HSC
We had one at school a few weeks ago, it wasnt worth it. I mean, all these motivational speakers teaching you effective study skills and stuff like motivates the student for half a day or so but thats about it. after a week, its back to the same old routine. there should be a workshop that goes over a long period, not just for one day so people can actually remain motivated. if something like that was available, id consider it. otherwise, back to procrastinating :p

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by RebeccaSeamons
A booklet thing? How do you mean? Because I dot understand how you could get that info from a booklet??

But either way I get what your saying, you want convenience...

What school you at anyways?
yeah i dont know, like if u wrote a book and published i may buy!~ lol hmm

Kulazzi

HSC
kinda interested but don't have the time!

we paid like $16 bucks for a study skills workshop and all the guy did was like talk full speed ahead and we're scribbling notes down on what he's saying. No booklets, no nothing. I don't think it was worth it, I mean 16 bucks just for talking about study techniques, at least give us a booklet on it man! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
HSC
What if it were something like a 3-4 week workshop? The problem is, many people would skip weeks and things like that??!

Also, weekend workshop, or afterschool???

Becase I already implement these study strategies with a lot of the senior students I tutor and the effect it has on the students results have been remarkable...! Between 20-30% increases in marks within 4-6 weeks...so it works, but I know what you mean sayig its hard to stay motivated...especially when its not on a regular basis...

Hmmmm...ponders to self...?!

HSC
OK, thats a fair point....

I have worksheets on things such as time management, study mapping, prioritising and things like that tht I was thinking of compiling...is that what you meant before about the booklet Girl04???

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
^^^ yep thats what i meant ( i think) but where u actually get to keep the booklet for like future reference n stuff

Heinz

The Musical Fruit
HSC
Originally posted by RebeccaSeamons
What if it were something like a 3-4 week workshop? The problem is, many people would skip weeks and things like that??!

Also, weekend workshop, or afterschool???

Becase I already implement these study strategies with a lot of the senior students I tutor and the effect it has on the students results have been remarkable...! Between 20-30% increases in marks within 4-6 weeks...so it works, but I know what you mean sayig its hard to stay motivated...especially when its not on a regular basis...

Hmmmm...ponders to self...?!
20-30% aye.... *thinks* 110% marks here i come :p

jesshika

supreme being
my school gave me a chunk of exam strategies handouts ..... and will have classes on relieving/minimising stress ~`
but i don't seem all that interested. .
is it worth it ?

ZeGoat

brown!
HSC
yeh we had a study skills workshop on tuesday which cost 24$. it was the biggest waste of time.... the activities we did were either completely pointless or had bin done lyk a thousand times before. they could have just given us the booklet without wasting my time..... i missed a double free period for that :(

HSC
Yeah, but have you's already done memmorising techniques? Speed reading and things like that? Thats what Im thinking about doing... different stuff like that...

I havent heard of anything like that really done in school....all in one package anyways...

HSC
Yeah, I know, I actually attended those courses myself a while back. One of the guys who runs it was at an educational workshop with me a while back...John someone or other...he is a fantastic lecturer...

But honestly, be realistic. How much do you think you are going to get for $2? These courses are "preps" to extension courses. Yes they teach you the foundations, but they are not in-depth, they dont give you long lasting skills, and they motivate you for what? A week?

The workshops I was considering running was going to be a lot more withstanding, as in skills that have proved through and through to improve marks and last you right through to your HSC and beyond.

Also, if you have done your research guys, there are prep study skills at Sydney uni also that are run through the holidays....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)