How to study for a source analysis exam? (1 Viewer)

Roy216

HSC
I have a source analysis exam on friday, we were given all sources to analysis but not given the questions we will be asked on the day, we are also not allowed to bring in notes on the day.

I've started analysising each source breaking it down and reading up on some background info for each source.

What would you guys recommend doing?

D94

HSC
N/A
Obviously know the syllabus dot points related to the source. So if it's an event, know what happened in the event, such as the conditions, weaponry, tools, clothes, or whatever is related to the source.

What is the source about?

asadass

HSC
Uni Grad
there is usually a "how useful are sources..." question, so i'd have a quick look at how to answer those.

Roy216

HSC
Yeah thats wat I've been doing, taking notes on the events which each source described.

There are 10 sources:
- Map of the western front showing 4 offensives with other info
- A letter by a british soldier to a friend
- Info on german propaganda and how british was better
- Extract bout the Somme and haigs tactic
- Statistic of times spent in areas of trenches
- Photograph of woman in a shell making factory
- Info of women and their impact on the war effort
- Photograph of french soldiers in trench near verdun
- Extract from british soldider during the somme
- Extract from german soldier during ludendorff offensive

Roy216

HSC
Ive been assessing usefulness and reliability, but i have trouble with them. Also the way you answer useful and reliabilty would depend on the questions he gives us on friday

Bored_of_HSC

HSC
For U and R the main things you need to consider are: -origin
- audience
- context
- motive
- contents
- ommmisions

Remember reliability must be proven first before usefullness (not true in all cases but yeh). Also opinionated/biased sources are still useful for showing attitudes at the time ect.

Roy216

HSC
how are:
-origins
-audience
-context
-motive
-contents
- ommisions?
Seperated between U and R

Bored_of_HSC

HSC
Hmm depends on the question really. Most can apply to both.

Ommisions refers to what has been left out. E.g Propaganda showing glorified soldiers going over the top ommits the large casualties these thoughtless tactics sustained.

Ask ex-HSC'ers on this site for better help. Also there's a history teacher who posts quite regularly. Wouldn't be sure she'd appreciate me posting his/her name though.

rfeatherstone

HSC
Its probably based on those "usefulness and reliability" source analysis responses. I have one tomorrow what i suggest to study is all of the syllabus dot-points so you can be prepared for every part of War World One.
Also study how sources are useful and reliable (such as motive, perspective, audience)

Roy216

HSC
there are always usefulness and reliabilty there are 5 questions i bet 2-3 will be usefulness and reliability.

When you say study motive, perspective, audience, etc.
for a source such as a british soldiers diary of what he saw after the battle of the somme.
woould u say:
Motive - to describe what he sees as a results of the lack of planning and bad tactics used by the generals?
Audience - No audience was intended it was a diary extract
Perspective - unsupportive of the british tactics used in the battle of the somme, ashamed at the generals for causing the death of hundreds of thousands tommies

D94

HSC
N/A
Yeah thats wat I've been doing, taking notes on the events which each source described.

There are 10 sources:
- Map of the western front showing 4 offensives with other info
- A letter by a british soldier to a friend
- Info on german propaganda and how british was better
- Extract bout the Somme and haigs tactic
- Statistic of times spent in areas of trenches
- Photograph of woman in a shell making factory
- Info of women and their impact on the war effort
- Photograph of french soldiers in trench near verdun
- Extract from british soldider during the somme
- Extract from german soldier during ludendorff offensive
Wow....rarely would any HSC cover literally almost all dot points over that many sources.

Ok, I foresee a few multiple choice questions relating directly to what you can see in the source, so make sure you know the source. I can't stress any further (on an online forum) because you can go and remember formulas for testing reliability and usefulness, but that's useless if you don't know the source. You need to know the context of the source and so this can relate to its reliability and whether or not it is accurate or even real.

Maps are usually objective, so chances are that it is a MC. It's just extracting data from what is right in front of you.

Depending on the letter, it could be censored because during the wartime period, many letters were censored so it would portray a relatively positive time at war. You need to watch out for over glorifying or vagueness in detail.

German propaganda as opposed to the British efforts are somewhat subjective. Not knowing exactly what it says, I would say watch out for bias in how that information is presented. Maybe it was from a British general or politician, so naturally, they would have a tendency to say the British propaganda was better.

The Somme and Haig's tactics are usually universally agreeable, in a sense that historians believe that Haig's intentions were to just bleed out the Germans, with no great plan (if I recall correctly). Essentially, it was a stuff up due to the heavy losses and lack of decisive decision making.

Statistics are usually objective, but it may depend on the source of the statistics.

Women and their war effort are usually short answer questions or MC for that source you've said, maybe how they contributed, eg. working at munitions factories, taking up most of the industry and transportation sectors.

Photographs can be staged, so remember that, but this must be said using evidence from the source, eg. all french soldiers at v\Verdun smiling towards a camera - raises concerns as to whether it is actually legit or not.

Extracts from soldiers and officers need to be taken with consideration as to when they were recorded down, whether it's a primary/secondary source. The extract could be from an interview some 30 years later, and the soldier's experiences may be vague or inaccurate due to the lapse in time.

So essentially, know what the question is asking, know the source and its context well, and then if you want to, apply whatever formula or strategy to answer the question.

Roy216

HSC
The letter by the British soldier is by Robert Graves, not sure if you heard of him but his a famous scholar. I highly doubt its been censored its really pesimistic he talks bout the trenches being in bad condition, the germans are really close, snipers are a scare, germans have better weaponary and he describes an event wen a grenade almost killed him. it was in may 1915, so the second battle of ypres.

I highly doubt the source on german propaganda is biased, its taken out of a hist text book. it talks about germany's failure to expose the allies as evil and their failure in countering wat the allies were saying. I can talk about how this source only portrays one view of historians as others argued that both british and german propaganda were alike.

in regards to haig, yeah his tactics were unsuccessful tacticly but strategicly they were working, n he saw that. it also talks bout him not using modern technology correctly with wrong strategys. it was says haig was not the trogolodyte of legend? what does that mean?

The statics they were an average i could say, it covered an average of the entire war however it didnt take into account the changes in these statics which battles would have caused.

women are an easy part.

i highly doubt the photo at verdun is staged. it shows two men carrying a body in the trenches while another person lies unconsious or dead. the caption says taken in a communications trench it shows the difficulty of evacuting wounded men.

The diary extracts from the british and german are all primary i would say being diary extracts and each having a date, (British: 1916 - Somme, German: march 1918 - Ludendorff offensive) the british talks about his unhappiness and is critising the generals for there tactics that resulted in the death of tommies. the german talks about his happiness for the success of the ludendorff offensive.

i can explore U and R in various ways i guess.

One more thing, it says it counts 15% to HSC course, out of curiosity does that mean 7.5% of whole year of 15%? im not sure wether they are saying semester 1 or the whole year of yr 12.

D94

HSC
N/A
Of course sources are open to interpretation, so your points are as valid as mine, provided that there is evidence to support the line of argument.

As with your Haig comment, I believe it's saying that Haig tended to refer to other generals for advice. (but will need someone else to confirm)

When it says 15% of the HSC course, it usually means 15% worth of marks for the internal mark for MH, so for the whole year.

Roy216

HSC
yeah ther is evidence, that is what i see in the sources. Whats internal and external marks?

D94

HSC
N/A
yeah ther is evidence, that is what i see in the sources. Whats internal and external marks?
Briefly, your internal mark is the mark gained from school assessments. This can be broken into two parts: 1) raw mark; 2) moderated assessment mark. Your raw mark is literally your raw mark gained from your assessments without any aligning to a set standard. Your moderated assessment mark is your aligned/adjusted mark which is appropriate in respect to the state, and is determined by the range of HSC marks attained by your cohort.

Your external mark is from the HSC exam. Again, this can be broken into two parts: 1) raw exam mark; 2) aligned mark. Essentially, the raw mark is like the raw assessment mark, and so the aligned mark is an adjusted mark which is in accordance to a set criteria made by the judging panel (or alike). They will choose certain answers which are borderline Band 5 and 6 and make that a 90 or so, and align accordingly.

Roy216

HSC
complicated process, but i guess ill understand it soon enough

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)