How to study for Biology before an exam? (1 Viewer)

Mata10

HSC
I have my biology half yearly exam on Wednesday, and I was wondering how I should study. I'm really weak in bio, to be honest. So, is it good to study by memorizing from my notes or is it better to do past papers?

Eduard_Khil

CASIO fx-82ES PLUS
HSC
N/A
lol you're screwed. I recommend doing past papers at this stage with like almost a day left, I don't need to remind you about the pressure of half yearlies I'm sure you've got that.
That aside, past papers are probably the better option at this stage, get some experience on answering questions that may be similar to the ones you are facing, rather than looking through your notes, which in theory gives you a foundation, but doesn't give you that thinking edge, required in an exam. I'm not saying, don't look at your notes at all, but perhaps prioritise on doing exam papers, and when theres time look at the notes.
TL;dr
procrastination strikes another

madharris

HSC
N/A
Do as many past papers as possible!
If you feel like you don't know how to answer anything because you're 'weak' in bio, then do i with the answers first, then redo the paper without the answers then mark it!

Read over your notes on the train or something, where you're unable to do past papers

Mata10

HSC
Well, what I did was I went over my notes and everything, then did past papers for about 5 hours which gave me an idea what I needed help with. It helped out and I think I actually did pretty good in the exam.

fizzbylightning

HSC
Uni Grad
Biology is extremely content based. You have to do it the hard way - read through all your notes thoroughly. But you can "study smart" through doing mindmap summaries, make sure you have plenty of examples for each of the concepts, include your research tasks and first-hand investigations (practicals) in your study as these are always asked. For every subject, you should be aiming to do as many past papers as you can get your hands on as this, at the end of the day, is a mock of the real exam. It's in the same format, the questions are prepared for exams etc. There's no use in passively reading over your notes if you aren't applying it to actual exam practice.

liamheshlord666

HSC
doing past papers then looking at answers and seeing where you went wrong is how im studying for my half yearly exam on thursday.
Also just skim through your notes, sometimes you will read stuff and it will just pop up in your mind in the exam. Happened to me in chem! Lucky I read some of my notes as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)