How to study for ECOP1001 Exam? (1 Viewer)

HSC
Any tips on how and what to study? What do you really need to know besides the differences in economic thought? Any tips and help would be great..

cimbom

HSC
All I remember studying for the ecop1001 exam last year was just differences in thought, and the exam went ok. Maybe some basic arguments for each, probably in comparison to neoclassicism? The questions (which you would have already seen for yourself from previous years) are very clear and just ask you to describe the marxist circuit of capital or whatever..

Political economy's confusing because the course is so disorganised and broad that you don't know what to study.. that's what I found anyway. But just study the main concepts/differences between keynesianism/marxism etc. and it should go well.

HSC
Thanks for the help..
Exam is on this coming Wednesday at 9am, very underprepared... I am just passing in assessments LOL, total 29 out of 50 arghhhh

im a little worried :S

cimbom

HSC
Yeah I was on maybe 60 average before the exam, and somehow I did well enough in the final exam to manage a final mark of 68. But I hated political economy and wish I'd never wasted my time on it. Just learn everything that you can from the readings and it should go well, there's no real room in the exam for criticism of current issues anyway because it's not actually in the course (when I did it anyway) just basic description and comparison of concepts.

HSC
Oh cool, ok, I just really hope to achieve a pass anything more is a bonus.
So I'll just work on describing and comparing the concepts.
I think the exam format is 4 short answer questions and one major essay. Its worth 50% of the total mark...

argh so scared thinking about it ..

Thanks for the help again, I'll post up how I think i went after i do the exam.

bustinjustin

HSC
hey dont stress it's really not that hard, really straight forward, like cimbom said, and for the extended response you really could just learn the corresponding chapters from the textbook, and drop a few scholarly references (no need for years and page numbers though) and empirical evidence/data if you want to try and show off (good for institutionalist economics, for instance, which I did my extended response on), but for the extended response, it's more important that you show your understanding of the school of thought, and how to 'use' its perspective, check out the course criteria in the handout.

Just remember, there's only so much you can write in 10 minutes for one question, but you can still say a lot as long as you don't waffle.

Last edited:
HSC
Thanks so so much for your help...

I'll try to cram as much as I can.

so so so so worried but i'll do my best

stazi

Nightman
HSC
frank is too nice to fail people. he gave me 2 extra marks to get me from 73 to 75

HSC
He posted this on blackboard

"P.S. Please check this site 10 days after the exam, just in case you are required to attend a 'further test' for this unit of study. Such tests are sometimes given to students who have uneven performance that does not quite satisfy the criterion for a Pass that is indicated above. There's normally only a few 'further tests', but it is wise to check at that time. Otherwise you may miss the opportunity."

Is that for people that fail the exam, they get another chance?

HSC
Did the exam today the questions were quite simple but don't know if i answered them 100% correctly, I think i'll pass the subject.

Can't wait for the marks to come out!!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)